Tour de France 2021 - Speculation and Gossip

In my country (Germany) cycling died for years because of doping (Erik Zabel, Jan Ulrich and Team Telekom). The big sponsors pulled out, the broadcasting moved from the biggest national channel to Europsort (usually around 20th to 30th channel on a standard TV), and most people stopped watching completely. Now, the sport is slowly recovering in the public eye.
A bust of a (multiple time) tour winner would definitely be a set back, but it would be much better sooner rather than after 7 titles, a comeback, and an Oprah Exclusive.
If that happens again, people not only lose their trust in the honesty of the athletes, but the integrity of sporting officials. No one will believe you can ride the Tour for decades on juice and never test positive.

4 Likes

Iā€™m not sure Froome was caught though. Ban was overturned. And even if you believe the test was accurate and he was exceeding permitted amounts of salbutamol, that wouldnā€™t even come close to explaining his dominance. At best salbutamol is a very very marginal gain or possibly a masking agent.

I think either salbutamol was the tip of the iceberg and Sky/Ineos/Froome were doing a whole bunch of much worse stuff that we donā€™t know about (yet). Or that they were operating at least mostly within the rules as written (not necessarily the spirit of them - the Wiggins TUEs definitely breached that). Iā€™m inclined more to the latter, simply because I think if Sky/Ineos were doing stuff that was clearly illegal and not a grey area then some disgruntled ex-rider or ex-employee would have blabbed by now. Or at least that ex-riders would have taken the knowledge with them to their new teams and that the advantage would have been nullified by now.

2 Likes

Thatā€™s disingenuous to suggest 100% proof is needed. We are reasonable people too.

Itā€™s always easier to tear down and destroy someoneā€™s life then it was for that person to build it. Donā€™t you see that you are thousands of grown men sitting safely and anonymously behind your screens while throwing shade at one single 22yr old kid? Donā€™t you ever stop to think, ā€œhey guys maybe all this negativity and suspicion when multiplied by all of our voices could do real harm to someoneā€™s dream?ā€ Save the witch hunt for when a positive test surfaces. Until then letā€™s be positive, supportive and celebrate our sport.

7 Likes

I think the reason for this is that doping in american football or baseball doesnā€™t really make as big a difference.

Everyone knew Mark McGwire and Barry Bonds were juicing, but they were also amazing hitters. Roids arenā€™t going to help your eye or your timing.

Same with american football. It helps your strength and stamina, but football is a lot more than just raw strength.

Cycling has some tactics and skill, absolutely. But when the road goes up, those become a smaller factor compared to physiology.

Interestingly, Michael Phelps seems to not have a cloud hanging over his head around doping and I often wonder why. Not that I think heā€™s dirty since he has the ideal swimmers body, but its interesting.

1 Like

Ultimately, Tadej, and every other pro cyclist, lives in the entertainment industry. Their job is to entertain the people. Cycling up a mountain is not relevant for humanity to stay alive. All bike racing is relevant for is entertainment (and as all entertainment advertising).
And like other celebrities, Tadej has to accept he is a person of public interest in this job. Public interest that ranges from fervent supporters, to malicious haters.
While I am not saying that this is the right way of going about it, it is the job he chose (all though he maybe didnā€™t realize when he did)

Thatā€™s sad man. Only people who have never been the victim of a mob can say this kind of thing, shrug their shoulders, and end with: thatā€™s just the way it is!

2 Likes

No, but HGH does. See ā€œJeff Bagwellā€

2 Likes

And yet again, the attacks on reasonable people.

The way doping or abuse of illegal substances of any type can create an advantage may be less straightforward than it might appear.

I posted this anecdote in the other thread already so Iā€˜ll just give a run down:

• in soccer it is not uncommon for under 19 prospects to start using steroids
  • a friend of mine back in high school experienced that first hand, they were never pressured into it by the team, but rather by the circumstances of scouting: he was told by team mates ā€žscouts always pick bigger guys, pre-mature guys, so better you grow up early!ā€œ
  • especially in young prospects in football, the focus is a lot of sprinting speed and physicality, and then they need to learn how to play

Another abuse of illegal substances is pain killers. Even in higher level amateur football, tons of this stuff are consumed before the pain occurs, not after.

Lastly, Iā€˜d argue that higher physical capability will always be an advantage in sports. There are positions in almost all sports where more stamina, more strength, and faster top end speed are definitely advantages. Considering almost everyone in sprinting, almost everyone in fighting sports , and many people in endurance sports supplement their outcome, there should be a positive effect on most sports in generalā€¦

I donā€™t think that DNA can be manipulated after the fact. How could you make a heart larger, make a larger vo2max, make more mitochondria?

What I tell you will happen in the future is athletes DNA doped from birth. When you see Russians and North Koreans showing up out of nowhere for the Tour youā€™ll know it has happened.

I also donā€™t buy the ā€œSlovenia dominating theoryā€. Itā€™s two guys out of thousands of riders in the world. If top Slovenians were in cycling, soccer, mountain biking, tennis, etc, then I might believe the Slovenian conspiracy theory.

For today, I donā€™t believe in the secret drug that only a few know about. From what Iā€™ve read about the EPO era, they finally found what works well - blood manipulation. Testosterone for recovery and EPO and later blood transfusions for race performance.

AFAIK, they can still beat the testing with micro-dosing of EPO. There is also no test for blood boosting with your own blood. You might have to only do a little bit at a time to not make your numbers move a lot. Landis was caught because he doped with tainted blood that had T in it. Hamilton was caught because he took someone elseā€™s blood.

3 Likes

Not so nice when you are on the receiving end right? Now imagine you were specifically singled out and multiply the attacks by a thousand. Itā€™s enough for some people to end their own lives.

1 Like

Omg. Iā€™m sorry, but I refuse to validate this argument with discussion.

I am in no way supportive of attacking him personally (or anyone for that matter).

I am just saying, the reason he earns millions of dollars a year is not because he can ride up a mountain quickly (if that was it, he could do it secretly with no one watching), but because people care about him (in one way or another).

Just saying that being all time great will always make you divisive, which will make you more interesting, which raises his profile and thereby his balance in the bank.

I donā€˜t know if you feel different about this, but imho, this thread, Talking about the Potential PED abuse of a specific person, hasnā€™t been at all hateful, and relatively objective. No insults, no swearingā€¦ pretty tame if you ask me.

I donā€™t know. I mean, we did just get accused of attempted murder. :rofl:

2 Likes

I did not. That comment is not welcome at all.

1 Like

I am going to hold my hand up and admit that I, as a sports fan, am totally blind to the possibility that someone is not playing with a straight bat. I do get emotional and I believe what Iā€™m seeing. Yes, Iā€™m that sucker who believes that because I wouldnā€™t do it, neither would anybody else. More fool me.

If you really want things to change, you have to be brave. Do things that might not sit comfortably with some peoples conscious. Testing on its own simply wonā€™t work. There will always be a work-around, somewhere down the pipeline.

Ask yourself this question. Why are known and proven doping cheats still able to make a lucrative living from the sport of cycling and I dare say, many other sports? Why is Lance still able to attract sponsors to his YouTube channel? Why do people still put money in the mans pocket and attribute his name to their product?

Remove the money. Remove the chance for cheats to make money from sport, any sport, in any fashion. Once the money disappears, cheating isnā€™t so attractive. There are smart people in the legal systems. Canā€™t they find a way to stop cheats from receiving financial income via books, after dinner speaking and Instagram influencing?

If you drag these cheats through the mud and possibly, most importantly, keep them in the mud, then no-one will touch them. Yes, Iā€™m effectively advocating that a person be humiliated and systematically destroyed, financially at least. If you want something to change, there has to be a reason for it to change. I would argue that some cycling cheats have done better from the sport financially than they did whilst engaged in it. Has stripping Lance from the TdF history books harmed him financially or as viable business proposition? From what I can see, not one bit.

Difficult to achieve in the first instance, yes. Once cheats know that thereā€™s no golden goose if theyā€™re caught, Iā€™m certain that cheating will be a far harder pill to swallow. Pun intended!

^ I donā€™t agree with that.

Doping in sports has been documented since 1904. There is a memorial on the Mount Ventoux for a rider (Tom Simpson) who doped himself to death on the TdF.

The fact is, almost all of us would fail a doping test. Have you ever been prescribed a cortisone cream for a rash? You would fail. Pop a Tylenol today? You would fail. In Philadelphia (and many other places), they have found over 50 pharmaceuticals in the drinking water, and a Brita isnā€™t going to get rid of it. You would also potentially fail.

Should we ruin and shame you for life because of that? Are you going to decide who is doing it purposely and not?

Unless you have evidence that they did, I donā€™t see how you can shame these people. Lance is a meathead, but at the end of the day, he was the best at a time when everyone else was doing the same.

What we havenā€™t talked about if Pog is of an age where he would have a power meter his entire cycling life. With that, refinements in diet, training methodology, etc.

Iā€™m not naive to think there isnā€™t doping in sports, but I also know enough that itā€™s likely much more prevalent on the amateur and pseudo amateur level than it is on a pro level. I can walk into any Vitamin Shoppe, GNC, Sprouts, etc. and buy supplements that either will cause me to pop a drug test or have supplements that have been contaminated with trace substances. This also isnā€™t factoring in the out and out cheating that happens on this level.

So with Pog. Iā€™ll give him the benefit of the doubt. If he is, then heā€™ll be found someday. Heā€™s 22yo, heā€™s going to be around a long time.

Also remember cycling isnā€™t the only sport in the world and it isnā€™t the most lucrative. That means the pros are best of those who found / discovered cycling, but not the best athletes in the world. There is a chance there is a freak athlete who would have likely made it to a more lucrative sport, but found cycling.

For example, in the United States, male sprinters who would have the potential to be everything Usan Bolt is and more go play American Football and the NFL because the payoff is substanial. Same with really strong guys who have a propensity to be lb for lb, incredibly strong. Weight classes in Olympic wrestling categories that conflict with NFL potential donā€™t have our best athletesā€¦ just people who are best of the ones who stuck with wrestling. Same goes for weightlifting.

With data collection what it is, I suspect itā€™ll be easier to identify these kids from other sports or at the jr level, and cultivate the talent from a young age.

1 Like

Eh, I disagree with this. LeMond was huge. Wheaties boxes, White House visits, got CBS to cover the Tour. It was mega back then.

2 Likes

I am at the same point.

Iā€™m this person too. Unfortunately humans are inherently flawed in the respect of being unscrupulous, immoral, self centred etc. etc. etc.

5 Likes