Tour de France 2019

426 watts for 20 minutes and 415 average for the whole TTT by Alex Dowsett. Really impressive!
https://www.strava.com/activities/2512279330/overview

1 Like

Those numbers are something else. Even my kids watching the replay today we’re commenting on how fast these guys were going

Alex Dowsett’s tweets are great too

I love watching the daily recaps from The Move. I know that Lance is a hugely divisive figure in cycling, but he and Hincapie are the smartest most experienced commentators for the Tour imo. Incredible insight from them.

3 Likes

Agreed. I only watched the stage one recap. Insights were great and LA kept proving what an ass he still is … so all good on my watch.

Stopped listening to The Move a while back, Hincapie is great but LA was winding me up. Has he bothered learning anything about the current crop of riders yet, or is he still winging it with minimal knowledge of who anybody is and a lot of stories about himself?

2 Likes

Lance definitely is still very bad with names and is pretty clearly there for the sponsorship stuff. That said, I find his stories about how the tour was when he rode combined with Hincapie’s knowledge of the tour now to be a good blend. Makes the show less about Lance and more about the tour and its evolution. They also both pick up on those smaller race details from time to time that are really interesting. For instance, Lance mentioned how in the TTT Jumbo Visma had almost every rider in line in the aero bars, which was a big no-no when he raced because it was unsafe. In other words, the team put speed above safety to win the stage. Small detail but interesting insight.

Might add this to the list of things he has “forgotten”…

3 Likes

Just heard on the radio that Aime de Gendt from the Wanty - Gobert team had to do the TTT on his aero road bike.

His two TT bikes were disallowed by the judges even though he raced them all year.
He managed to hold on till 1,5 KM to the finish, that’s quite impressive haha.

Maybe it was illegal socks :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

A tricksy stage today with a cheeky breakaway from Alaphillipe.

These sunglasses have aged far, far worse than LA’s yellow jerseys.

Like swim goggles! :face_vomiting:

Not that this means anything at this point in the race, but did anyone else notice Bernal dropping Thomas on those last couple climbs?

Looking at Dowsett’s stage 3 - how does 5 hours at 230 watts only burn 1,982 calories?! Something doesn’t seem right there.

https://www.strava.com/activities/2514784629

Hah, I liked the text from Chanel in the second screenshot.

The Strava calorie calculation is off. Additionally his NP for the stage was about 300 watts.

His TP says he burned about 4000 KJs, so that’s a much closer estimate to his total calories burned for the stage.

1 Like

Yeah, I know strava calories can be off a good but, but seems relatively close when you have power. Just seemed extra off, found it interesting.

1 Like

Heartwarming

3 Likes

Really been excited by this year’s edition. the cycling podcast touched on it in their stage 3 episode, the teams that are just here for stage hunting and the KoM jersey has really made it interesting. Also the mix up of finishes from the Giro helps a lot. I think there’s a seriously good opportunity for some of the wildcard teams to take stage wins at this edition which is fun. It’s always a bit melodramatic seeing someone from the wanty team out front knowing they have no chance to take it all the way…

I kept waiting for viviani to get passed by literally anybody in that final sprint, but dude just kept chugging along… Shame his form wasn’t like that at the giro :frowning: