Toe squeeze while training

Hi.
I have problem during training, i squeeze three smaller toes in my left leg without my will.
When i notice it i can make those relax but after few minutes im doing it again.
Problem is on with all different shoes what i have. For backround knowledge i had back surgery five years ago and have couple screw in my spine. Any ideas?

Best regards, Kari

I’m no bike fitter or podiatrist, but I have a similar issue. On all hard intervals, I give myself “hammer toe” unless I really focus on pushing down with the heel and relaxing the toes. Never happens outside.

I’ve had good luck switching to insoles that provide more arch support. That seems to help with the problem, but doesn’t completely eliminate it.

Good luck and please share your trial and error attempts to reduce the issue so I can copy your success if you have any. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Tested earlier insole with better arch support but no difference. I have this issue also outside and it comes with easy rides too, (not that strongly).

TR is good for this cause it reminds to be relaxed😄

I let you know If i find solution, thanks👍

About 98% of my training and riding is outside. Sometimes this happens in my right foot. Focusing on relaxing the right foot makes it go away. And then it mysteriously comes back and I have to focus on relaxing the foot again. Annoying.

Yup, exactly same. Bought three pair of shoes, tested insoles, cleat and seat position etc but allways same😖

Foot Travel

The foot will move in the shoe, often intentionally, but sometimes not. The natural flattening of the arches as load is applied through the fore foot will tend to lengthen the foot, then shorten it as the load is reduced on the upstroke. As cyclists we try to develop a smooth ‘pedalling in circles’ pedal stroke. But this means we need to push forwards over the top and scrape back through the bottom of the stroke. If the foot is not adequately restrained, it will tend to rattle back and forth as this cyclical load is applied, often encouraging the cyclist to scrunch their toes up. The depth of the toe box and the height of any arch support have a strong influence on the perception of restraint.

1 Like