Tips for employing Heat Acclimation

I’ve read tons and tons on how to perform a heat adaption protocol. What I’m curious is the mechanics of how you have employed these techniques. My preferred method would be Hot Water Immersion. but at 6’2", I struggle to submerge enough of my surface area in our bathtub. Any good DIY solutions or Ideas? I’m considering buying something like this and maybe fashioning some kind of heating system.

What I’ve done and am doing…

Exactly the source I used to build my ‘Plan’! my issue is that I’m to damn tall to be able to submerge enough surface area in our tub and I’m looking for idea’s to be able to work around that.

Assuming this means it doesn’t get hot enough to do some outside acclimatization? I found that even simple things like doing two hours of yard work in Saturday afternoon heat helps.

That just doesn’t provide the consistent exposure I’m looking to gain. My A event this year will likely be warm to hot and I’ll be out in it for a seriously long time.

Move to Florida.

Then you will quickly learn there is not such a thing as heat adaptation

4 Likes

I just don’t use the air conditioner at home. Works great for when I have to ride when its 105, but training in the heat is kind of crappy for me because I’m at max heart rate below threshold.

California >> Florida

But that doesn’t help @Cory.Rood so my advice is to build or buy a Sauna. I went to college in the upper peninsula of Michigan and the sauna was built before the house :+1:

IDK…

Here is mostly the humidity more than heat

1 Like

easy to ride in dry heat my friend!

2 Likes

Submerge up to your neck and keep arms and hands under water. It’s ok if your knees are out of the water so just bend your legs. I’m 6’1” and I make it work. No need to buy a special tub unless you’re looking to spend money. Use bubbles, that’s the key to keep the water hot. You could also put on a winter hat.

2 Likes

My opinion when it comes to heat/altitude acclimation:

Is all pretend and pointless unless you move to a hot humid place or high altitude. Doing a 3 hr workout in a sauna or using a mask to limit your oxygen intake is really not going to give you the effects you want.

Living on a hot humid place sucks ass, and you never ever get use to the heat. Sure, when we have good weather suddenly you feel great, but just because you live here it doesn’t make you better or inmune to the heat. If anything, it might suck a little less because you know what to expect and pace yourself accordingly, but it’s not because you are better in the heat…it’s just because you learned how to play the system.

I mean, people will do crazy things for the perception of improving certain areas. But reality and perception are usually not the same.

Disinformation. You might be an outlier, because adaptation is real and includes improvements to vo2max. The science is pretty clear.

4 Likes

Maybe is what I think heat adaptation is…

I always think is adapting to have heat have a lesser effect on you. If that’s the definition, then i have never seen it, not most of the people i run with that have been living here for s long time…

Now, it could also be adapting so your body is used to run hot, so when its colder then you perform better… This i have seen and experience. When the weather turn less oppressive i tend to perform my best… I’m talking less humid even if temperature is still somewhat high…

TrainerRoad has some blog posts about heat acclimation. TrainRight.com as well. Here is a random search result:

This why I recommended a sauna over hot bath:

And yes, humidity is a factor, see this chart:

Not to mention the TR science podcast and it’s first episode: Science of Getting Faster Podcast - Presented by TrainerRoad

1 Like

I was involved in a heat study at a university that specialized in it. It is real. The body adapts to the heat over time in terms of core body temp at a specific intensity (we used %vo2 max on day of testing) as well as amount of sodium in sweat, etc. They showed us the data and there are very stark differences.

I also lived and trained in a very hot environment and it took 2-4 weeks to adapt.

To the OP, why not just exercise with more clothing that you should be wearing to put your body in a heated state? This seems to make much more sense and is cost less. It will have the exact same effect as laying in a tub, if not quicker to adapt and more practical since you’ll get used to feeling hot while exercising.

I don’t want to compromise the quality of my training by mixing the HA protocol with my workouts.

If exposed knees isn’t a big deal then that might work!

On the indoortrainer, do your workout, add 15 minutes at easy Z2 riding afterwards and turn your fan of. Simple

2 Likes