Time off the bike

@martinheadon, we’re getting slightly off topic but, FWIW, I run on Tuesdays to “maintain” the ability to do it. If / when I have to take a business trip (without the bike) the once a week maintenance run is enough for me to get 3-4 quality runs in lieu of biking without being completely sore, especially those small stabilizing muscles. Four miles is about enough each week for my “maintenance” run. My bike workouts are on Tuesdays, Thursdays, Saturdays, and Sundays.

1 Like

But then it’s even more difficult! When I get to that point, the blender comes out!

1 Like

Two years ago I got into hiking with my partner who only rides recreationally on the road. It was a way to share outdoor experiences in new zones off limits to mountain bikes. I was riding very little then. I’m not completely off the bike now either but I’m definitely done with structured training for the year. It’s nice letting it go honestly and just riding for fun again. I’m still maintaining fitness with one hard group ride during the week which opens up some easier rides I call optional. Optional. Feels good to even type it out. Enjoy. Bike specific fitness isn’t everything.

TR user since 2015. Basically since that time, there had always been a bike on the trainer. The only real breaks I’ve had from structure are vacations.

When the races (triathlon) were cancelled, I decided to set a goal of a self supported marathon (I do run regularly, but just over half marathon is my longest). I took the bike off the trainer end of May to move to a 6 day a week marathon plan. My only riding was regular short distance commuting (10k round trip) and the very occasional road ride (2-3 times a month max).

I finished the marathon, took a couple of weeks off of anything besides commuting, and today set back up my trainer and took a look at the forums.

I’m looking forward to getting back to some easy base structured cycling.

1 Like

I feel anxious about time off the bike - it’s crazy! As if the last year’s gains will evaporate in 2 weeks, but still don’t want to lose hard fought gains.

I feel motivated as a relative noob, and my CTL has been around 85 lately, which feels pretty achievable, but importantly, it feels sustainable. I’m really unsure about winter, but will probably try and keep this up with a 5 day/week schedule with TR mid week (probably SST/Threshold and 1x Z2) and 2 LSD rides at the weekend, which ought to bring the intensity down a touch.

1 Like

Not sure yet. I’ll probably try and get in at least 2 runs of which one will be speed work and the remaining slow endurance work. I’d like to do at least one run on the same day as a bike session so it doesn’t impact my recovery days. I’ll figure it out as I go, see how my body adapts to the training. I’m a bit older (40 next year) so I can’t take as much intensity as I used to.

I’m just checking in for some accountability. Day two of my rest week. Day two of not touching the bike set up on my trainer!

3 Likes

Thanks for posting this. I live in Bend, Oregon and our air quality went off the charts bad last week as part of the West Coast fires, tha you probably heard of. My town was not at threat of fire. On day 1 I strategically also took a 2 week break.

My thinking was mostly emotional / mental health. I haven’t had more than 7 days off the bike in 3 years. When I do have days off, they usually aren’t scheduled though, which is why I feel guilty / what changes do I need to make now? Since using TR for 2 years, training has been even more consistent as I move days around to accommodate vacations and business travel.

It’s been interesting. I use a Garmin 5X and for once felt accomplished when it registered ‘Detraining’. I thought ‘great! That’s the plan!’ The skies cleared this week. I have 4 more days to go. I’m pretty raring to jump into a new year. I used the training plan to layout every day through next May and I wonder why breaks like this aren’t included if you schedule things way out like that.

It’s an interesting interlude. I’m hopeful it’ll have some long term positive effects. I think I’ll do it every year so I can look forward to it. I’ll probably also leave the same time frame open to wildfire smoke too and if there are no fires, take a break in early Oct.

3 Likes

Fishing. And relax. :blush: