Thread: Summer road tire/pressure setup

I’m always interested in crowdsourcing what folks are riding, and how they’re riding them. Now that summer (northern hemisphere) is here and most everyone can ride outside again, I’d be interested in hearing what everyone’s set up is - I’m always looking to refine my ride.

I suggest the following format:
— Brand/model
— tubes/tubeless/tubular
— tire width
— internal rim width
— rider weight
— pressure front / pressure back

Here’s mine… second season on this setup and still lowering pressure bit by bit, but overall very pleased

— Vittoria Corsa G 2.0 (not to be confused with the Corsa Speed or Corsa Control)
— Tubeless
— 25mm front / 28mm back
— I.9 rims with 21mm internal width
— 162 lbs. / 73.5 kg
— front pressure (25mm): 71psi / rear pressure (28mm) 63psi

As an aside, I’m always surprised by how little lover the regular Vitoria Corsa’s get on this board and in the press… they are super fast and super plush. The Corsa “Speed” tires get a lot of mention because they are super fast, but also paper thin. I also noted that a bunch of world tour teams were running the Corsa G 2.0 tires at the Tour Down Under this year, and when Enve went to Roubaix to do recon on optimal tire pressure for the course (before it was canceled) they were testing on Corsas.

I would highly recommend.

Hopefully this thread gets some traction…would love to hear what others recommend…

2 Likes

I’m pretty comfortable with MTB pressures, having experimented a lot. For the few comparable miles I’ve done on the road bike, I just stick 90psi front and rear to be safe.

— Vittoria Corsa Control G 2.0
— Tubeless
— 30mm front/rear
— DT Swiss DB470 Rims with 19mm Internal Width
— 185lb / 83.9kg
— front pressure: ~57psi / rear pressure: ~59psi

I was going to switch to 25 or 28 regular Corsa’s when racing started up but without racing I think I’m just going to stick to the 30s. The low pressure is super comfortable and it gives me the ability to ride some sections of dirt/gravel here in Michigan to connect asphalt roads. I had some trepidation about the whole road tubeless things going in but I haven’t had a single issue since November and haven’t even added any more sealant. I had no comfort issues on my Allez Sprint running 25mm Conti 4KS2s but these just brought it to a whole new level.

1 Like

Conti GP4000 700x28
Tubes
~85 psi front and rear
Currently 195lbs/88kg

I have been on these tires for 3 years now and probably have over 5000km on them. In that time, I think I’ve maybe had one flat. If/when I replace them, it will probably be with 700x32 GP5000s - maybe go tubeless.

1 Like

— Schwalbe Pro One (previous gen)
— Just switched to tubeless 3 weeks ago
— 30 mm
— 19 mm
— 167 lbs
— 52 PSI front/ 55 PSI rear

Pretty big fan of the setup so far, had about 1000 miles on the tires before switching over to tubeless. I’m pretty hard on the tires between some of the potholes around here and moderate to light gravel and have only had 2 flats (from staples, hence the switch to tubeless). Setup relatively easy and holding air well.

1 Like

— Continental GP5000
— Vittoria latex tubes
— 25 mm
— 20 mm - Nox Composite Falkor 36D rims
— 144 +/- lbs
— ~75 +/- PSI front and rear - this is the recommended per the Silca Tire Pressure Calculator

1 Like

— Continental GP5000 TL
— Tubeless
— 25 mm
— 20 mm
— 71kg
— 75 PSI front, 80 PSI rear

Ok, so I’m lucky enough to have 6 different wheelsets that get switched between three different bikes quite a bit, dependent on intended use and conditions (all my bikes are disc brake bikes). I’ve included details of the wheelset and measured tyre width (in addition to the labelled width), and detailed which bike the wheels/tyres are used with. I think that I should probably go a bit lower on a number of these.

— Brand/model - Schwalbe Pro One Evo (latest gen) on Reynolds AR 58/62 DB wheels
— tubes/tubeless/tubular - tubeless
— tire width (printed / measured on rim) - 28mm / 29mm front and 30mm rear
— internal rim width - 19mm front, 21mm rear
— rider weight - 78kg (plus 8.5kg bike)
— pressure front / pressure back - 72ish / 76ish
— Bike - Cervelo S5 (aero road), Boardman SLS disc 9.8 (road)

— Brand/model - Vittoria Corsa 2.0 graphene on DT Swiss 1400 ARC 62mm
— tire width (printed / measured on rim) - 25mm / 26mm
— internal rim - 17mm
— pressure front / pressure back - 84ish / 88ish
— Bike - Cervelo S5 (aero road)

— Brand/model - Hutchinson Fusion 5 Performance on Stans No Tubes Avion Discs (this is my go-to wheelset)
— tire width (printed / measured on rim) - 28mm / 31mm
— internal rim - 21.6mm
— pressure front / pressure back - 66ish / 70ish
— Bike - Cervelo S5 (aero road), Boardman SLS disc 9.8 (road), 2015 Carbon GT Grade (all-road)

— Brand/model - Schwalbe G One Speed on Hunt 30 Carbon Gravel discs
— tire width (printed / measured on rim) - 30mm / 31mm
— internal rim width - 20mm
— pressure front / pressure back - 60ish / 65ish
— Bike - Boardman SLS disc 9.8 (road), 2015 Carbon GT Grade (all-road)

— Brand/model - Schwalbe G One on Hunt 4 Season Gravel discs
— tire width (printed / measured on rim) - 35mm / 36mm
— internal rim width - 20mm
— pressure front / pressure back - 40ish / 45ish
— Bike - 2015 Carbon GT Grade (all-road)

— Brand/model - Schwalbe G One Speed on DT Swiss R24 discs (used primarily as commuter wheels)
— tire width (printed / measured on rim) - 30mm / 30mm
— internal rim width - 18mm
— pressure front / pressure back - 60 to 65ish / 65 to 70ish
— Bike - Boardman SLS disc 9.8 (road), 2015 Carbon GT Grade (all-road)

One of the more interesting things to note is that the Cervelo S5 - an out and out aero road bike), easily fits the 28mm Hutchinsons, even though they measure 31mm on the Stans rims. More than adequate clearance, even though they market the bike as having max clearance for 28mm (measured) tyres. Being able to fit big tyres to a bike that is super quick and climbs so well (it’s not a light bike, but climbs better than many lightweight bikes I’ve ridden in the past) makes me want to use it on almost every ride (it’s just a pity it rains so much in the UK - both of my other bikes comfortably fit mudguards/fenders)

1 Like

…and 3 days later, I ran over something that left a nasty gash through the carcass. GP5000s ordered from LBS. Looks like I’m back on my gravel tires until they arrive.

After many years of using high pressures (120psi on TT bike with 23mm tyres, 110psi road bike with 25mm tyres) and i weigh 74kg with about extra 10kg with bike and equipment etc. I’ve been using this calculator recently after heard about it on Triathalon show podcast…reduced my pressure significantly (About 85-90psi on TT now and 80-85psi road) and feels better AND faster!!

I’ve stuck with tubes so far as my initial impressions were TL were too hard - watched and heard too many people talking about hours of setup. I think that has changed. 2020 was the year of chain waxing for me, I think 2021 will be switching to TL. I’ve got to wear out the newer GP5000 before I switch thou.

Current

— Brand/model = GP5000 (not TL)
— tubes/tubeless/tubular = tubes mostly due to GPLama’s tubeless video :slight_smile:
— tire width = 25 not measured
— internal rim width = 19MM - Reynolds AR58
— rider weight = too much
— pressure front / pressure back = 100 PSI front and rear

Mike

1 Like

I ride on old and crappy roads, this summer trying to optimize for flat and sidewall issues.

• Pirelli Cinturato Velo 26x622
  • tubeless
  • tire width after 425 miles: 28.3mm front / 28.9mm rear
  • internal width: 20mm front / 19mm rear (Enve 5.6 disc)
  • 97kg / 214lbs
  • 80psi front and back

These tires feel ok, not the best but like I said its about reducing the incidence of sidewall issues. According to BRR they have slightly more protection and slightly lower rolling resistance versus the Conti 4 Seasons I used from October to March.

1 Like

Summer road bike - Continental GP5000 x 25 and latex tubes - 100psi front and rear - can’t be bothered to look that closely at the gauge for a more precise approach :smile:
TT bike Vittoria Corsa speed tubeless 23’s - 120 psi front and rear - not that I have ridden it this year yet! :pensive: I weigh 60kg so I could go lower but I’m a tradionalist!