Thinking of switching from Zwift, some questions

Agreed. I’m in my 12th week and love it for the same reasons. I don’t miss Zwift. Sure, I may go back to it in the future but maybe not. TR is a fantastic resource. As a new TR person I find myself asking for advice every 6 weeks and the community has been super helpful.

2 Likes

I would recommend the low volume plans starting with sweet spot base 1 then 2, do your sunday ride, and do something different on that 5th day. If you were really out of shape then spending some time working on strength, core, mobility, yoga, etc is really important. I was in the same boat and feel my lack of core strength is now starting to affect my cycling as I’ve started to get stronger.

1 Like

DM me w your email and I will send you a code for a free month.

1 Like

okay, very close! The guy who invented sweet spot used 93, so I’m splitting the 1% difference lol. Lmk if you have other questions along the way. can email me heyobrendan@gmail.com or FB messenger brendan housler

This is what I’m doing. I’m following a low volume plan. And augment with 1-2 outside rides, plus another sweet spot session indoors if needed to hit my target volume/mix for the week.

2 Likes

I agree! I’ve essentially only been training since March 2018. I have only been able to complete low volume base and build and still not through low volume MTB XC Olympic specialty phase yet. I typically get in one-two sessions on average per week along with 1-2 outside mtb rides per week. I’ve gone from 177 FTP to 252. I love the calendar feature to move sessions around to accommodate my travel/work/outside schedule. I ride to be in the hills, whether on dirt or snow, so that is my first priority. Getting faster is second!

1 Like

Dang man! Some times I feel like the only cyclist that doesn’t have enough money to ride Tuesday morning at 11am! I hate the long hours, but for right now it is what it is. Glad it’s working out for you, that gives me some inspiration!

Yeah, I’ve noticed the community here is insanely helpful. I am part of a beginner group on Zwift with some great people, but overall the TrainerRoad community seems super helpful so far. I did my first TR workout today and it was definitely engaging and I loved the text that came along with it (ramp test).

1 Like

From what I researched and saw, I signed up for the Century, Mid Volume plan. It turns out my FTP is actually 194… I’m not new to structured training and do have a bit of base fitness built up, I want to go further, faster and for longer so it seems like a good choice. My only concern is while most days don’t top an hour and 15 minutes, Sunday is irrelevant but Saturday has a longish ride… I’ll just see what I can do.

1 Like

Thank you, Tim! I did notice, TR has some really cool stuff for mountain biking and off road riding. That’s cool stuff. Same here too, the avatar is nice and all but it’s all about the numbers to me.

Sounds like you might be new to TR, not sure if you’re already on them, but the podcasts are a really good resource for information on getting faster on a bike in general.

You aims of ‘just being in good shape’ is very common, and I think in one of the episodes Coach Chad mentions that if that is what you want, you can pretty much just rotate between Base and Build over and over. You’ll build up a generally strong “engine” that way, and not only will you get in better and better shape, you’ll probably have the legs to keep up with fast group rides eventually or just have a bit of fun with that big engine.

re: allowing for Sunday ride, I asked a very similar question in the past as well, and have taken up the community’s recommendation of going with the Low Volume plans, and just tacking on my weekend rides. It works well, and I’ve seen improvements in body composition and ability to ride. So yes, it is compatible with what you want to do too. Hope this helps!

3 Likes

Re Zwift/TR for training. For what’s it worth, I mix Zwift workouts with TR plan at times and find that I have to crank Zwift workouts to max 110% to challenge me anywhere near TR - not only Zwift workouts are usually shorter but also feel less intense. Their recovery intervals are way too long as well. I never had to increase TR difficuly, it is spot on. Following TR will make you stronger I am sure.

1 Like

Is this an available spreadsheet?

1 Like

Yes, here it is.

Follow instructions on the first tab if you want to make your own copy for editing and adding your info.

3 Likes

Thanks!

1 Like

Thank you! :smiley:

Well, this is what has me confused. I plan on just doing TR for awhile. Going to give up the long sunday ride and zwift for a bit. I simply want to improve my performance and I’m not new to structured training. I started the century mid-volume plan, it seemed to be a good match.

Thanks for the advice! I actually went with the century mid-volume plan. Was enjoying it but yesterday, on my 6th workday, at the end of an 11 hour day I tried to hop on the bike and do the 1:30:00 McAddie ride and got 20 minutes into it before literally giving out. Made me really depressed. I’m not new to structured training, according to TR my FTP is 194 so I figured it would be a good fit, but still unsure…

Wait. A bit confused. Did you jump straight into a specialty phase without doing the base or build phases?

1 Like

I believe so? :fearful:

I thought what I’ve done over the past year and a half, the FTP builder programs, several training programs on Zwift and going further in the real world had built up my base? Do I need to start with the base and builder programs on Trainer Road? If so I totally don’t mind, it would explain some things. I think if I weren’t working 60-70 hours a week I would be okay, but I couldn’t complete the McAddie yesterday and got halfway through the Antelope+5 today… (About an hour and 10 minutes into it before giving out).

I don’t want to start out too easily and right now because of time constraints am going to give up my long weekend ride, so what program would be best right now, for me?

Honestly, you are overthinking this.

Start with the base. Try the Sweetspot low volume.

Then go to the build phase.

Then get to a specialty phase. We can help you pick which one(s) to use.

Here is some honest information – do with it as you wish. You are new to cycling. Only been riding about 18 months. New to structured training. Keep life simple. Start with the Sweet spot base low volume. You can always ADD to the rides but when you start skipping or being unable to finish them, you will get hit with a negative mindset that if you are not careful, will snowball and derail everything.

How many hours a week do you have to ride and do other things? Here is an easy way to do the weekday rides and keep Sunday for long ride. SSBLV (Sweet spot base low volume) will give you 3 rides per week. Start with it setup Tues, Thursday, and Sunday. See how you feel with this setup. If you want to go outside for a long ride instead of the TR ride, do that.

I personally have to do something every day or my body runs into trouble. So on the other days, do some yoga or pilates. (great threads here w suggestions). If Wed you want to add a ride, do a RECOVERY ride.

This setup will also help with your 60-70 hour work weeks.

You WILL see progress. It will NOT be overnight – but it will be long-term if you stay consistent and with it. One other things – being on the trainer for an hour is NOT the same as outside for an hour. I think you add about 50% of the trainer time to determine outside ride time.

Great progress on the weight loss. Great job coming here and asking questions.

4 Likes