The sad implosion of Cyclingtips :( (new title to reflect the max exodus)

Hey Outside….

:fu: :fu: :fu: :fu:

7 Likes

Damn shame, but you could see it coming. The sad thing is that lots of people put their money down for CT and Outside still gutted it. I wonder if they could’ve stayed independent if they didn’t grow so quickly.

3 Likes

What a shame.

I’ve been a CT reader from literally the very beginning when it was just Wade and some tips. Sucks to see an “outside” entity gut the things I like about the site. It will be easy to let my wallet do the talking and cancel my subscription.

2 Likes

I would love to see someone from this crew find a home at The Cycling Podcast….the pod has not been the same since Richard Moore died. Infrequent episodes, random co-hosts, etc.

With Daniel Friebe doing so many other journalistic efforts and Lionel focusing on other projects, they need a steadying hand and some consistency.

Hopefully someone sees this as an opportunity for both sides.

16 Likes

Check out the link I posted above. Wade is starting something…

3 Likes

Outside has really started to fade as a quality group since they “went corporate.” Sometime more than two years ago and less than five years ago… I don’t pay close enough attention to any of it to know for sure…

Way too many “click here for this paid list of products” and too few quality longform features. I’m saddened, but not terribly surprised after Outside managed to F up FB links and advertising with absolute dog-dirt. I’m now getting some Outside articles teases for articles I read five years ago… GTFO with you social advertising clowns.

1 Like

Who is left at CT? James Huang, Ronan and then these new hosts they got. Who’s the guy who does the really in-depth investigations, is he still there?

I was so stoked last week when I got an email from Outside+ saying my TrailForks subscription would get me Outside+ (I already subscribe to CT anyway), but I’m just gonna cancel and hope Wade’s new venture fills the void.

Cycling Podcast + CT podcast were my go to’s up until this year, and now I really don’t see anything.

I vote Caley to take over Cycling Podcast as the regular main host!!!

2 Likes

The investigative journalist you’re talking about is probably Iain Treloar? He’s still there, and just wrote this (veiled) article…

https://cyclingtips.com/2022/11/i-dont-know-what-to-write-about-today/

Edit : Another cancelling their VC subscription, as one said above, let the wallets do the talking. Such a shame.

2 Likes

Am I right in thinking Outside also own PB? Did they let go Henry Quinney and the new girl that’s been on the Pod (who’s name escapes me sorry)?

2 Likes

Yeah, Caley’s cool tool Tuesday was pretty much the only reason I subscribed. Now I’m going to cancel my subscription.

2 Likes

If you do cancel your subscription make sure you delete your payment details too - details on how to do this on the CT Forum

1 Like

Dave Rome just posted he’s not with CyclingTips anymore :frowning:

2 Likes

You’re correct. Outside also owns PB.

1 Like

just cancelled my sub. Sod em.

1 Like

That was Dave Rome. A real treasure. Looking forward to seeing where he ends up.

5 Likes

Indeed. Caley’s Cool Tool would just be a different hammer each week. :slight_smile:

8 Likes

Just cancelled my subscription. Really looking forward to what Wade is planning.

1 Like

Also cancelled my subscription. I wasn’t really a fan as of how Outside were splitting the content either, wanting two subs.

As someone else said, I think Caley would be a great fit on TCP, but I was also a fan of the cyclingtips podcast(s).

1 Like

WTF?!?! Man, the podcast and site was what for me into pro racing and keeping up to date.

Still love James and enjoy Ronan as well for the nerd nuggets. And of course Iain Treloar is an absolute gem. But I think it’s time to unsubscribe. I can’t support the direction Outside is taking this

1 Like

And I am now wondering what may be on the horizon for PB. They ditched some notable people around the same time as the previous CT dumps, so it seems almost likely that PB will get some similar trimming?

I’ve not seen anything on that side yet, but it’s not hard to imagine Outside swinging their knives on that side too.

2 Likes