The Ironman Training 2022 Thread

In a 70.3 I always put it on a storage bottle but I want all my bottle cages because I don’t want to use the on course Gatorade

My only 70.3 I had a double cage on the saddle and one on the down tube. so, one was a tool box on the opposite side to my good hand. it worked for me.

1 Like

I’ve been putting off the the old twin rocket holder off the back for years cos it’s so pricey but that gives you bottle and storage space.

1 tube, 1 lever, 1 canister, 1 adapter isn’t too bad on the pocket space if you go minimal. Less if you’re one of these wild tubeless crazies :wink:

1 Like

It’s still only 3 hours of nutrition and then having to have Gatorade for 3 and you just don’t get much carbs in that

2 Likes

The storage bottle has never occurred to me… Purchase made. Thanks all.

2 Likes

Agreed - one bottle + gels to start with and then I’ll pick up whatever else I might need on course.

Looks like Topeak have something that doesn’t break the bank nowadays:

£41 at chain reaction , cages £11 have levers incorporated.

1 Like

Is anyone else doing NC 70.3?

Looking for places and not sure where to stay…

(My Airbnb was cancelled recently)

On the right side of my rear hydration carrier

X-Lab Duo Pod

Xlab mini bag. It’s the smallest saddle bag I could find. It will hold a tube, co2 inflator and a tire lever and that’s about it.

https://www.xlab-usa.com/mini-bag.html

Just catching up on Swansea 70.3, winning Overall AG in 4h10…well done! :1st_place_medal:

Looks like that would’ve put you in 10/11th MPRO but was that within 10% of…none other than double Olympic Gold medalist Alistair Brownlee?

By my maths that’s 23mins on top of his 3h49 finishing time, with a few minutes to spare so will we see you in the Pro ranks next season?

3 Likes

I haven’t used air bnb before, can they just change their mind that easily? I have booked a hotel whilst I’m in Weymouth

There’s a price to everything, and for Airbnb it’s the risk of being messed about that hotels are unlikely to do.

1 Like

Tbf I think pretty much everything is messing people around travel-wise right now. I pray for all the bikes currently lost in transit limbo…

I guess they can… The host sent me a message telling me she was cancelling a week after I reserved. I checked her property and everything seems to be cancelled after certain date… Not sure what happened there

That sounds like a change of circumstance which may be drastic but It’s crap for you. I hope that you get it sorted.

Ok so, it’s been done to death and I promise that I’ve searched the equipment thread first. I’m in a position to upgrade my trisuit. I have a Zone3 Mens Activate+ Short Sleeve from 2018. it was my first and a starter model, however, the leg grippers barely grip my legs which gave shrunk from being a cyclist. the arms are pushing at the elbow as I have short arms and legs. and there is only 1 pocket. I have no intention on getting a two piece and have no more than £150. I’m looking at HUUB, Casteli but there are so many reviews it’s mind bending. any advice or warning off would be great.
I saw the HUUB commit that I am considering.

1 Like

I like the HUUB stuff and I’ve kind of settled on that brand - why? The Brownlees will no doubt have influenced me. I got a Dave Scott Long Course two piece from them years ago on sale which just seemed a lot better than the 2XU which I wanted to like, Zone23 et al are fine too. Then I filled up on single brand kit for training, and winter cycling when they had sales on. I know a bunch more guys who hate the fit of HUUB stuff though.

It seems to be more about what fits your body shape and bike position, so I think you just have to experiment I’m afraid.

I have several old trisuits with the same flappy legs problem you have - basically experiment going down a size. It will feel tight, but if you can get it on and it isn’t ripping it’s good and probably more aero too.

For spares storage, depending on your saddle you can probably jam a tube between the rails, valve extender pre installed if needed. That is how I carried one for years without issue, also never needed it in a race but used it for a pre race flat after a few years and it was fine. 1 C02 canister taped to the behind the seat bottle holder, and then another co2, inflator head, silca crack pipe and tire levers (with a spare extender taped to them in the bento.

I stopped carrying “gels” in my bento so now I just stuff the tube in there.

Luckily no races coming up (possible half marathon end of october) because life has gotten in the way of training. We had a flood July 2nd that got into our basement and back room where I train. Maternity leave is getting to my partner along with the flood and our addition not being started yet so she wants to move (very far away)… All the stuff you’d think getting out for a bike ride would help but really is too much quiet time to let my thoughts go. Pool dropped the covid scheduling so now fear if I don’t get in the water at 6:01 I shouldn’t waste my time going and risk having to share a lane and seem to only get up in time on mondays the last month.

Trying to get back into it, swam and ran this morning, hopefully back on the bike tomorrow.

Some good race results/reports above, helps the motivation for sure.

Cheers, really happy with how the race went. I couldn’t have performed much better on the day. No big mistakes, felt strong till the end.
PB for a 70.3 Swim - 25:42
PB NP on the 70.3 bike - 290w at around 62-64kg
PB HM (including open events) - 1:15:56
For an overall time of 4:10:53 on a course with a hilly bike. This had me win the AG events by 3mins 53s.

But the 5% for a pro winning time for the licenses at this event, would always be solid if Alistair was on top form, which he was. 7mins 41s ahead of 2nd at close to 4% already, don’t even think 3rd (Tom Bishop Olympic athlete) was inside 5%. I ended up being around 9.5% back from Ali, so no pro card from this event. But with a time for 11th pro (3s of 10th) after a solo race.
I have proved to myself I am at the right level for a mid-pack Pro and just need the correct qualifying race. But it is still very apart that my swim is my weak link. Including the pro’s times, my splits were 29th swim, 8th bike, and 8th run.

Splits on my Strava if anyone wants to dig into them: Strava Cyclist Profile | Ben “Wilf" Goodfellow

The next goal is Ironman Wales in 4 weeks. This race also has a pro wave, again with a 5% of winning time requirement but with Joe skipper apparently on the startline, this will also be tough. So all I can do is improve on my performance/mistakes from Ironman UK early in the year & give my all.

14 Likes