The Ironman Training 2022 Thread

Congrats on your first 70.3!

I did Oregon 70.3 over the weekend. With the downstream river swim, I knew I would PR and I did with a 4:29. Not good enough for the podium but I was 7th in my AG and 90th overall, which isn’t bad since there were 2,300+ finishers.

The swim was nuts. I finished in just over 20 minutes, which is less than one minute per 100 yards. On a normal course I’d have done ~33 minutes. For the most part I couldn’t sense how fast I was going— the river was wide and the sun blinding. It was hard to spot buoys. But when I passed the buoys I roared past them.

The bike was 2:31 (22.2 mph). It’s a good course through wine country. Some rollers and one steep hill that had a few walking their bikes. It was tight in places, but overall I enjoyed it. Out and back meant we got to see the pros, which is always cool.

The run was spectacular- all forests and meadows and water. So peaceful and green! There was plenty of shade and the temps were cool. I went just under 1:30, which is my fastest 70.3 run.

I highly recommend Oregon. It’s an excellent course in a beautiful venue and the organization and volunteers are outstanding. Salem isn’t all that much, but there is so much to do and see in the area that it makes for a great vacation.

15 Likes

@jdmccoskey @pstalley great times, well done!

1 Like

Not sure that plan builder has got me right in speciality

I’m LV FD and next week should be recovering week in specialy 5 weeks out from my event (CPH)

and this is what I have

this is more TSS when it comes to cycling than this week and the long rid even though less distances is a fair chunk hareder, there is also no refusctions in the swims, its literally only the long run that is missing

Anyone heading out to St. George 70.3 WC or have any experience with the area?
I am travelling out solo from the UK & still seeking accommodation, so wondering if anyone can recommend anywhere? (or even in a dream world share accommodation.)

Have you rebuilt your plan since they modified the recovery and taper weeks? This happened a month or two ago.

That said, It wouldn’t be the first time AT has given some questionable workouts. IMO, AT and plan builder still need a human looking after things to make sure things aren’t out of whack.

See this thread:

Just made a reservation on a townhouse for the NC Half Ironamn.
The place seem to be right on the running course a like a mile or 2 from the start/finish.

Very exited.

2 Likes

:face_with_monocle:

Townhome…

sorry for the short name…haha

1 Like

:thinking:

Nope. Imagine that I’m from a foreign country…! I’m guessing it’s accommodation in a town so far. :grinning:

Townhouse, townhome…

Similar to row house

I’ll be heading over ‘the pond’ next year (May). I’ll be heading out with a friend and she is in charge of logistics. We’ve not thought about it too much yet but probably better to get something booked sooner rather than later.

I should say that we will not be in any way near the pointy end (Unlike yourself :muscle:) but definitely competing against our own goals/aspirations.

If you do hear any whispers about ideal locations to consider for accommodation then please give me a shout too! :+1:

Okay! I’m giving up now! :face_with_spiral_eyes::uk::laughing:

2 Likes

One more

Terraced houses

1 Like

Wait I always thought ‘townhouse’ was a British term

2 Likes

You ripped past me on the bike as you were lapping me and it was massively inspirational to see someone ride that course so hard (even if you did suffer for it later!).

Late to the party. This was my IMUK for anyone who cares - my first ironman.

FTP 266, 77KG

Swim 1.21
I was hoping for under 1.20 but my sighting went a bit all over the shop on lap two and I swam very long. I never felt in difficulty so perhaps I should have pushed more.

Bike 7.31
Rode how I wanted on what everyone had warned me was a tough course. Paced it very conservatively and kept the power down (184np and 168average). It was hard to make up speed on the descents due to the road conditions and other riders - some very questionable descending out there! I spent too much time stopping to pee (I haven’t learned how to do it on the bike yet) and also stopped to pick up extra nutrition at special needs. Both of which added about 10 minutes to my time.
Average speed 15.1mph

Run - 4.39
I was injured in the build up to this race and would have deferred if it wasn’t for the fact I had already done so in 2021 because my daughter was being born. I had been on a “return to run” protocol since April therefore my longest run since January was a little under 5 miles and I knew my legs would fight me at some point.
I managed to get about 13 miles in before this happened and ended up walking longer chunks of my run/walk plan.
I had a second wind with about three miles to go and ran the last chunk crossing the finish line under my 14 hour target.

Total time 13.51.

Overall I was pretty happy with that because given the injury and the build up I had I did not know if I would even make the start line.

I Iearned a load about myself and with the lessons already on board (and a bit more run training) am confident that on the same course in same conditions I could relatively easily knock an hour off that time.

Thanks for everyone on this forum who has helped inspire me through training. This is such a positive space and I am really grateful.

12 Likes

Interesting. I’m on the same trajectory for IM Copenhagen. My weekday rides have adapted to mirror yours, I was ok with it as it seems to be just endurance work as opposed to any intensity which I’ve had for the last few weeks and have more coming up. So more volume, less intensity for the recovery week. My weekend is completely different to yours though, suggested a 30min ride on Saturday and 2 hours Sunday. Both endurance rides. Going to knock out a century with my training partners anyway though. My swims have dropped in volume for this week and I’ve dropped a run too.

Good luck this weekend to those doing 70.3 Ohio
@velopiano
@matthewgreer
@teamsuchevich

And IM Lake Placid
@bbdude
@ealarcon

And Outlaw
@eagleallan
@olly

And anyone else I’ve missed(!)

5 Likes

Thanks, @JoeX ! Up here now and looking forward to Sunday for Lake Placid!

3 Likes