The Ironman Training 2020 Thread

What options have they given?

It depends on your setup, not all road bikes are well suited for clip ons. Full on TT bikes usually come with slacker head angles and more rake to account for the weight over the front axle.

How much does your position and weight distribution shift in your aero position? If you are relatively close to your drop-bar position it will just take some time getting used to and learning to adjust to different steering characteristics. The best “drills” are probably just time on bike, albeit being extremely focused and safe, no riding in groups.

If however you’ve rotated forwards and shifted your weight over your front end you might reconsider the clip ons. Your bike might not have been designed with that in mind and could be beyond its handling capabilities. In that case try moving your center of weight backwards, have more weight on your seat and less in your aero bars.

Either way, stay safe!

1 Like

Just time on the road initially. Got myself a set of rollers since. Started by just doing 3-5 minutes on them after my TR cool-down. Using my wifes road bike (it’s a 52cm with flat pedals; I ride a 58cm). Once I felt comfortable, I put my Tri bike on and then just progressed from there. First base bar, then just moving hands on the bars, to aero bars. Still using them in a door way in case I come off I’ve got some support. It’s made a massive difference to my stability.

Other “drills” I like to do is just mess around riding very slowly on a straight (painted) line out in the street. And practising doing a track stand. Just fun things that might help (or might not).

1 Like

I like to ride around residential streets on easy days and do a couple circuits through there so that I’m taking the same turns over and over again. Every time I try to take them just a bit sharper and faster. Start slow and just gradually increase how aggressive you get as you feel comfortable.

Also, still have not gotten my COVID-19 results back yet but this whole breathing thing sucks. I can’t go up a flight of stairs without having to gasp for breath. Everything else though feels generally fine and if I’m just lying on the couch, I don’t really feel any different aside from a random deep breath here and there. I’m almost more afraid of a negative test result than a positive one right now. If it’s not COVID, then why the hell can’t I breath?!?!

1 Like

Think im just going to attempt an hour of power and see how things have gone.

1 Like

:slight_smile:

Hi Everyone, IMFL sold out yesterday took me by surprise and now I’m preparing to pull the trigger on IMCZ hoping not to repeat last year’s shit show. I know there are still risks involved regarding cancellation and all that but keep on the look out for races registration because it seems like there will be a reduction on participant numbers from now on and races should sold out more often/earlier.

Maybe i should sign in for FL HIM

it never sell out, but apparently everyone is trying to do one now days…
NC and GA are full too (and they never fill)

1 Like

I went to the IM website after you posted this and Im surprised to see they are racing in Texas on the 28th, 70.3 Lubbock (formerly Buffalo)

Texas joined with IMWaco 70.3 on the same weekend.
I was waiting on Lubbock to happen before signing up to IMFL, my thought was that we just needed one race to give other RDs confidence that the show must go on however a sold out wasn’t a possible scenario to me.
Around the world there are races confirmed for places that where hit by the pandemic after the US such as Brasil that I’m not sure but I’m hoping to se races happening here in the US in the second semester. They’ve just opened the Mexican border and hotels are already saying that they are coming back to pre-covid cancellation policies which looks like a move to get things back to normality but only time will tell.

Im concern about all of it (everything reopening)
Although i will sign in for a fall race (FL more than likely) Im not 100% convince the race will take place.
Things are opening, yes. But I have a feeling that things will bounce back the wrong way soon enough.

1 Like

Joel I think you have the right mindset! I know people were really frustrated when event were postponed and not refunded. Damn I feel like my father, but for everyone sake - make sure to review IM’s refund policy and purchase the appropriate insurance or be prepared if it doesn’t happen.

Early races were either reschedule or an option to defer to another race was offered - no refunds.

1 Like

Very true. Thats one reason many early fall races are filling so quickly.
I know Tokyo cancelled their race with no refund.
Boston reschedules and offered a refund later (or do the September race). Now that race is also cancelled. So they gave the money back.

Smaller races would be harder to press for refund. Last year the Great Floridian Tri, was cancelled for weather (pouring rain and 30+ mph gusts) all morning and most afternoon. They cancel race morning at 4:30 am. They offered a 10% discount on this year race, but no refund. Although not happy with that I understand that this is their main race and they would probably go under if they return the money…so :man_shrugging:

here is the latest on IM cancellations due to COVID-19

https://www.ironman.com/updates

Well Just complete my first Rouvy Challenge - and it was a Tough one…5 stages including 3 mountains … A lot of hills for a big lad like me.
The aim was to provide something to focus on with there been no racing this year.

3 Likes

Finished SSB MV1 today, missed a week and a half due to illness, and now just recovering from a pulled calf thats interupted my run training.

Next week Im starting sustained power build mv as a change from my usual HD or FD build, to change rhings up but also to focus on the bike. My key goal is to average over 400TSS on the bike each week.

The tricky part is weaving in the runs, swims and strength, as SPB has 1 vo2, 2 threshold, 1 sweet spot and 1 endurance ride each week theres not a lot of space for more hard sessions…

3 Likes

Do you think you’ll go to all easy running while you do the build then?

2 Likes

I’m on 471 TSS for the week with a turbo tomorrow and a long ride planned for Sunday.
Recovery day Monday then ramp test in the plan - I know I shouldn’t but I’m expecting an FTP jump, I just feel so much stronger at the moment.

Managed 3 little runs this week with no repercussions so hopefully start to ramp that up too.

3 Likes

When I started the year I was doing three hard runs per week on the RLRF plan, two sweet spot rides, two/three lifting and a swim. The idea was that hard running work in spring could mean easy, volume building running now…but I really enjoy speedwork now! :grimacing:

Im working the calf back in slowly so it has to be easy for now anyway :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2 Likes

Yeah, I get you. Before my crash ™ I had a tempo progression planned. Now I’m missing it!

1 Like

:sweat_smile:. Same here. Im frustrated with the ramp though, Ill be using the 20min again. I just need to decide what target power to go for…?!

In fact I might just use IMVR11 as a virtual 40km TT as my FTP, I believe Coggan still rates that as the best measure.

1 Like