The Death of 1x Drivetrains Revisited

Yes. I wont loose any sleep over 2 watts when running 1x for Transcontinental race this summer :wink:

1 Like

Iā€™m just here to lol at the title of this thread.

2 Likes

Iā€™d add ā€œit came on the bike I boughtā€.
Mostly cuz that describes me, I was gonna get a 2x gravel bike but only the 1x was available so :man_shrugging:

On a well-adjusted drivetrain, you can do those without even thinking about them. I like my close gear spacing way too much to give up on 2x on the road.

Or di2 in synchro mode s2 just does it all for you. Easy peasy :smiley:

1 Like

ā€¦ for the dentists among us.

Just kiddingā€¦ this said, Iā€™m at the same time fascinated by the elegance and potential of electronic drivetrains, and too much old-school wrench to want one (financial considerations aside).

2 Likes

Aqua Blue killed World Tour 1xā€¦this year Jumbo-Visma resurrected it with a grand tour victory and Dauphine domination. Not because the technology is better, I think, but because Jumbo allowed themselves the freedom to use 1x where it made sense and still use 2x where that drivetrain choice made sense.

Or maybe itā€™s just a case of winning in spite of using 1xā€¦not because of using 1x. Iā€™m still not sure how you can drop your chain during an uphill time trial using a clutched derailleur. That derailleur is clutched, correct? But, clearly, almost any other world tour rider would have permanently relegated 1x back to the dust bin after that.

5 Likes

Itā€™s cool to see JV experiment with trying 1x in different situations and itā€™s great they have a sponsor that lets them have the flexibility of trying different things rather than just dictating the only use 1x all of the time or only use 2x all of the time

1 Like

Still struggling to see what problem 1x solves for pro road riders who can swap bikes. Believe in that Giro TT Roglic was running a 44T front ring with a 10-44 cassette, is that right? If so then couldnā€™t Thomas have had exactly the same 1:1 lowest ratio with standard Shimano equipment by using a 50/34 chainset and 11-34 cassette?

Can absolutely see the benefits of 1x in lots of other applications. Just not really on the World Tour.

1 Like

I mean 1X is still pretty common for TTs. So in that aspect it wasnā€™t too unusual for Roglic. Even though it was on a road bike.

It is interesting how theyā€™re doing it on road stages though. Especially the way they had Roglic do a bike swap at the beginning of the climb just for the swap. That seems misguided.

For Jonas they kept saying it was to get the weight of the S5 down closer to the weight of the R5 which is interesting. But he was using a 2x on his R5 for most of the big climbing stages.

1 Like

Yes. And in fact before the stage Vingegaard explicitly said 1x wasnā€™t suitable for that crazy steep final climb. So thatā€™s interesting given Roglic road the 1x setup during that Giro TT stage. Of course, given how that went, maybe thatā€™s what Vingegaard is talking about! :smiley:

1 Like

Obviously shipping a chain due to a pothole is not a 1x phenomenon

everyone else hit that same pothole, did anyone else ship a chain there?

Per suggestion from another user, I merged this into a closely related existing topic.

He has unlimited bikes and a team of mechanics.

So we had 2x threads and went to 1x?

ChiefAggravatingCoati-size_restricted

14 Likes

1x + 1x = 1

:wink:

3 Likes

For interested forum denizensā€¦here is the thread this should have been merged into:

I seems to me that only the strongest climbers like Jonas can run a 1x and make sense from a chainline efficiency perspective on hilly road stages.

I can re-merge to that one instead, if that seems best to everyone.