The Bike Fitting Mega-Thread

Correct.

Ok. I used to do this and looks like I’ve got some measuring to do. Thanks for the reminder!

Yes the set back is currently 5mm back. Current bar is a 110mm vs the old at 120mm.

I think the difference might be bar height. I need to do some investigating. Thanks for the heads up! Glad I asked…

edit: only problem is I don’t really know the saddle/bar drop from previous bike…

1 Like
  • You may be able to fake it via reverse analysis. Check the BB height between the frames. Assuming identical wheels and tires?.. you can then estimate the saddle to bar height with that BB delta and the original floor to bar height.
1 Like

Same wheels/tires…I think the BB height is the same but checking…Awesome thanks!

1 Like

Not sure if I shared this before, but predictably… I have a Google Sheet for recording bike fit & setup dimensions. Feel free to steal a copy and fill it int.

Ideally, I do a sheet for all of my bikes so I have a full record of all the dimensions that matter in case I make changes or want a starting point for a different bike.

1 Like

@mcneese.chad bars needed to come up 1cm. With that the saddle feels normal again. No feeling of excessive weight on hands and neck/shoulders not sore. Turns out the set back is right where it’s always been. Long story short, I bought a new PM/cranks and the old ones were at the shop being installed on a gravel build. I had the old one marked and after getting it home both bikes measure the same (same saddle and STA’s within 0.3 degree). Thanks again!

1 Like

SWEET!!! Glad you got that sorted out well now. :smiley:

1 Like

Hopefully a fit improvement to my TT bike tonight. I haven’t intentionally changed any key dimensions. The point load on my elbow how it was set up however could see my hand go numb and on longer TT’s it could cause my whole arm to go numb and sore. So thanks to a mate I changed the cups bracket and added angled spacers below the cup hopefully that will spread the load. It could be just bad circulation as a result of my chemo a few years back and I have to look at something else :crossed_fingers:

1 Like

Just a quick one…
…I take it at 12,000km, these are done? :grimacing:

1 Like

Hard to see on the pic but if the clip edge (step on the rear of the cleat) is square and a reasonable thickness you’ll get a bit more out of them. I’ll usually let my left cleat wear out but I replace my right cleat earlier when there is any sign of wear as thats my dominant leg and I don’t really want to be coming out of that on a sprint. Where as with me unclipping on the left they lose the pads faster but are still fine for the force I put through them.

1 Like

With any wear indicator completely gone get a new set.

1 Like

Those look done to me.

But my personal test is to clip the shoe in with my hands, and wiggle in all directions. If you feel any real “slop” or “twist” that is not the designated “float”, toss 'em.

1 Like

This foot issue is becoming a real “Pain”

I joke, only to keep from screaming. I’ve got custom BG Fit heat moldable insoles, shoes that have been fitted correctly.

I get to about two hours on my local XC loop and I start to get ball of the foot pain. My cleats are about as far back as they can go.

I haven’t ridden on the road to see if getting past the two hour mark shows up on the road, but that’s not where I want to ride the most.

It sucks to have to stop riding because your feet hurt and not because you couldn’t go longer.

Anyone know a fitter that has extreme experience with the shoe/pedal interface?
Hump

My bike fitter told me that those custom orthotics sometimes don’t prove enough support, since they often mould to the foot which might be in a state of collapse.

So instead of actually supporting the foot, the orthotics just follows the foot in its “fallen” state.

Got a pair of G8 insoles and started using the highest support, and boom, all my issues gone.

Had issues with knee tracking due to excessive pronation.

1 Like

Thanks for the feedback. I’ve got some of those. May try and see if that helps.

Hump

1 Like

Did you mess with the met pads on yours?

Hump

These are the ones I have: G8 Performance Pro Series 2620 Shoe Insoles | Sigma Sports

So the only thing I did was to put in the highest support plastic “cup” or what you call it. The ones that are interchangeable.

Felt super weird at first since it was like riding with a golf ball under your foot, but an hour in and I was more comfy than ever :slight_smile:

1 Like

Got the same ones. I don’t have a high arch, so going all the way up would probably be too much.
I’ve heard that the majority of people need the #3 support.

Hump

1 Like

Me neither, because I pronate :wink: So its kind of contradictory. I don’t have the arch, but I should, so I use the highest one to help out with that.

But its worth trying at least to go up a size :slight_smile:

1 Like

I just finished building a gravel bike early this week. Love the SRAM explore line and how smooth the bike feels, however I’m just not sure the frame is going to fit me. It feels as though the reach is too short and that my center of gravity is way too far forward. However is I address this and move the seat farther back I have to lower the seat to the extent that I I feel like I’m too far down into the frame and my position becomes even more upright. I have a 100mm stem and the same saddle that I have on my road bike. I don’t mind at all to get a bike fit done, but if the frame doesn’t fit me there is nothing a bike fit could really do. I’m 6’1 and have a longer torso than I have legs and also have ridden 58mm road bikes. This is my first gravel bike, but it just doesn’t feel right all all. Almost like I’m simultaneously too far forward over the front tire and sitting up too straight. I have attached some screenshots from a video I had my wife take to this for context. I am on a 3-4% grade in the photos. One other note is that I prefer the saddle to be on the lower side of the acceptable spectrum. Any input would be appreciated. I got a killer deal on the frame and could probably make a few dollars on the frame if I decide that’s the issue and sell it. Thanks!

I think it looks fine?

You look relaxed in the arms, not overreaching.

Maybe saddle a biiiiiiiit too low? But hard to tell since you’re at extension on the other leg than the one facing the camera.

Nice bike!

1 Like