The Bell curve of cylists - how fast are the average TR users?

Look at the bright side, you are classified as an “all rounder” so you don’t have any particular weaknesses to contend with :wink:

Don’t know your story but I like your attitude :v:t4: Good luck!

4 Likes

That’s the attitude to have. :+1:

We’ve all been at 1st percentile at one time or another.

2 Likes

My fastest speeds on the same courses have come with my lowest power.

I’m with you in that category buddy.

1 Like

I have no one to ride with

I agree. Sometimes winning the men’s 65 age group doesn’t mean much. This year I ended up competing unofficially against the only woman in the women’s 50 age group in a time-trial series here. (The TT format is good for social distancing and I’m in a country where the number of Covid-19 cases is low.)

4.2 is fast. You should race.

Just got a power meter. When using virtual power I was 3.35. With power meter I’m 2.41

I also experienced a drop when I went from Virtual power to meter-based. Not quite as steep (about -0.3 w/kg for me) but definitely kind of a bummer.

Yea I was surprised to lose about 50 on my ftp but I’m using it as motivation to get to the number I thought I was.

1 Like

It’s worth reminding yourself that the number doesn’t really matter. Your capability remains the same, you’re just measuring it differently (and more accurately now!).

Your training zones are set properly and you can get the most out of your workouts/plan now.

4 Likes

I’ve got a mate that I ride with from the Clydesdale class.
His w/kg numbers aren’t great, but he used to rip my legs off on our multi hour rides.

Just saying.

2 Likes

That’s the guy I’d like to become. :joy:

4.2 isn’t a speed, the power to weight formula does not have a element that is speed or an element of the formula that is used to directly to calculate speed. :wink:

This whole thread should probably be called “The Bell curve of cyclists - how high is the average TR users w/kg” :astonished:

3 Likes

4.2 is fast.

6 Likes

The 3’ effort isn’t representative since I did 449W (about 6.7-6.8W/kg) for about 2’30" already. I need to reduce my sprintability and VLaMax since I’m mostly an olympic/half distance triathlete haha. Although it’s fun to out-punch a lot of people.

2 Likes

That’s a pretty interesting website. I just found it myself thanks to this thread.

I ran the numbers for myself and they’re really pretty close to yours!

1 Like

Does anyone have a power profile as messed up as this one :thinking: :laughing:

3 Likes

Are you sure you just haven’t done any 60s all out work? It looks like you’ve done sprint work and probably some longer threshold work, but maybe never gone hard for 60 seconds?

1 Like

What does your 30 seconds and 3 minutes look like?
You can select it in the options