Tacx Neo 2T Time Bomb, Garmin Nightmare

9 Likes

I’ve said before and it seems to keep coming up: the whole category seems just barely consumer ready. Some brands are further along than others, but we’re all paying a lot for gear that I doubt many of us will be using in 5-10 years. Just my non-expert, outside-looking-in 2c.

2 Likes

But did Garmin make it right? Only watched first 3 min of tbe video. In my experience they have great cs so there is that.

1 Like

After Garmin, Tacx support is a big f@ck up(apologies for my French. No offense). I pray for my. Neo

That’s not necessarily true. At least not for Europe and at least not to my experience.

My Neo broke just shy the end of the warranty period. Was offered to have it repaired or a full refund. Similar experience with a Forerunner 945. Received it slightly scratched. The new one was in the mail even before I had returned the old one.

As far as I am concerned the Garmin customer service as well as the service of their bigger sales partners is spot on.

However, this obviously doesn’t mean that one cannot end up with a poor service experience. After all the customer support agents are only humans as well.

1 Like

a statement by Garmin:

Good question! The Garmin/Tacx teams have been working on a solution for customers to easily replace the bearings in their NEO Series Trainers that does not involve needing to use special tools other than theNEO Disc extractor tool and a 20mm Torex wrench. We plan on having the part available in the near future and will post an update here once it’s up on our website with an FAQ for installation instructions.

3 Likes

so it’s not only a prob of Neo2T, could be have Neo/Neo2 too?

got an answer by Garmin, it can happen on all Neo’s:

Garmin-Patrick
6 hours ago als Antwort auf f|33tStA

Definitely, we’ve got a Neo/Neo2 part coming soon as well.

I had the same issue with my Neo1. Returned it to my dealer who handed it down to Garmin. Ended up with a full refund after two years of extensive use. :partying_face:

interesting, the thing is, now our local dealer couldn’t help anymore, because Garmin haven’t any contracts with them as i understand.

i replaced my Neo 1 to a Neo 2 with my local dealer, so i am not sure, if they can help me again, because the situation changed since the overtake of Tacx

I don’t know about the Austrian consumer laws but over here in Germany it’s the dealers problem if they have sold it to you. :sweat_smile:

I just saw this video. It’s very unfortunate. I haven’t had any problems with the 2T yet, but I seem to have bad luck picking trainers. If this 2T gives out, and no tool, I don’t know where I would look.

Garmin-Patrick seems to be referencing Neo/Neo2, and according to Drew @ tacx faq, it seems like it’s the Neo 2T that would be problematic in replacing. The Neo/Neo2 can use the DT Swiss ring removal tool.

I am sure if anything “were” to happen in a reasonable amount of time during ownership Garmin would take care of you just like any other respectable company (wahoo, saris, etc).

I had a H3 (sold to my bro) and now have a 2T.

1 Like

I’m sure, but it seems almost ridiculous to ship a trainer and get in line to wait for a refurb for an end user replaceable bearing.

JustinDoesTriathlon’s observations are spot on to me as well. Kinda crazy to have to deal with that.

True for sure but almost any trainer that has a problem wont be fixed by the user. Take the kickr or the H3 knocking sounds for example.

Unfortunately all trainers have potential to have a problem. Luckily the support has been pretty good.

I can’t complain about the Tacx support, it’s been OK so far, but haven’t had anything other than missing items from my box.

I can’t say that any trainer problem won’t be fixed by the user. I’ve fixed many on my Kickr 1, they were just normal parts that wear out over time.

Wahoo did offer me a kit to repair myself for the 2018 problems, FWIW. I also have a Kickr 1, so am aware that they do offer parts to be replaced, and not have to send back and buy a refurb. That is also an option for people to take. It is also expected that you be able to replace the belt as well, and not ship the trainer back to Wahoo and buy a refurb for a belt. Most everything in the Kickr is user serviceable/replaceable, and they will even sell you the part to replace it, including control boards and the like, if you’re out of warranty, and you don’t have to fork out 50+% for a refurb.

I’ve been a big fan of Wahoo due to that aspect, but lost respect after the 2018 issues.

The video was basically talking about the equivalent of a bike hub service on the Neo 2T. That is replacing the bearings in the hub body. Hopefully they will have the lock ring removal tool soon. It’s serviceable by anyone that knows how to do bearings, as long as you can remove the lock ring.

Understand what you are saying and hopefully they come up with something. I was on chat with Garmin last week to get the extractor tool just in case I needed to clean out the inside and sent it to me free or charge overnight.

My progression of trainers: kk road machine, Kickr snap, H3 and now the Neo2T. H3 had a small issue and Saris was good cs wise to replace it. The new replacement is now being used by my bro. Mainly a Garmin person and they are always responsive to help.

Is Garmin working on a tool available to the consumer to replace the Neo 2T bearing?

Yes

Comments on the video suggested that kind of “sticky” bearing action is most likely due to the bearing slot being slightly undersized. Maybe that’s not true, but if is, replacing the bearings probably won’t help all that much or for long. Whats interesting is the neo OG piece looked just like the 2T piece, which suggests they’re just getting lazy with QC in manufacturing? In any event, it’s interesting that garmin’s first take on the situation is to blow $50+ on shipping, and who knows how much on internal refurbishment processes. I would think it much easier and cheaper to partner with bike shops to be “service centers” for easy stuff like bearings.