Tacx Neo 2T Time Bomb, Garmin Nightmare

• Welcome to modern electronics and consumer products. Any machine like this is subject to failure from the complex nature of so many parts and electrical connections. Incorrect performance or failure of even one of those can kill the entire function.

• There has been a long running push for new and better features on trainers. That has lead to constant progression, and in some cases, regression, in the experience of people with these trainers.

• It’s a sad sign of the times, along with examples from every other trainer maker, that they are still in development stages that shows more work needs to be done on long term performance and reliability.

1 Like

I tend to agree. The only plus point to all this is they will keep replacing free of charge until you finally get one that lasts the 2 years warrantee!

The pain is the number of weeks not being able to train as a result (I have no pm on outdoor bike)

1 Like

Indeed, great that you are getting a replacement. But the downtime for resolution is a bummer.

That is a reason I still highly recommend that people have and keep a simple wheel-on dump trainer, like the Kinetic Road Machine or Saris Fluid2. These are handy for travel and race warm up, but also for still allowing training in the event that our fancy smart trainers take a dump. I know not everyone has the money or space for that, but they are sure handy in moments like this.

Also, I am not making excuses for the poor quality of trainers. I think it is unacceptable in this day and age, especially in light of consideration for how long many of these basic units have been in production and use. Some of the recent changes (higher power and quite function) have lead to new parts, instead of the other tried and true designs. Some teething pains are inevitable, but it sucks that consumers are being made into beta and long term testers. The manufacturers should be testing internally, with accelerated time loading, and excessive use that seeks to exceed even extreme home use.

I am hopeful the current rash of problems will eventually lead to more stable products, but the 2018-2020 season has been a tough one for trainer makers and buyers. :frowning:

2 Likes

Yeah disappointing. I’ve just joined a cheap 24 hr gym by work for a month to use their watt bike while I await delivery of replacement

Bummer that it died on you. It’s a harsh introduction to the early end of the bathtub curve of product reliability. Bathtub curve - Wikipedia

3 Likes