Sweet Spot Progression

Good luck at Rasputista and Muddy Onion! I love VT gravel :star_struck:

I’ve struggled with weight for years and I still probably have 25 lbs I could lose so I’m sitting at 3.5 w/kg now. I think longer sweetspot rides have really helped me be stronger, longer into my rides though. It’s nice to make it up stuff that would have crushed me a few years ago.

1 Like

I did a 3x20 at 90% this morning too. You beat me though, I did 6 min rests.

I was surprised at how good I felt, to be honest. The AI’s have been telling me I need to up my FTP and I’ve been ignoring them, but I’m wondering now. I think I need to do a 2x30.

I was actually just thinking the same thing! I had a great winter, but I’m wondering if doing more long intervals would have been even better. I might try to do a little block with VO2 Tuesdays, SS weekends, and everything else Z2 and see how it feels.

2 Likes

I noticed this also, I looked at a few different apps and cookie cutter plans from training peaks. Most of them will get you around 60 minutes @ sweet spot TIZ.
I saw my biggest gains in a long time focusing on increasing TIZ to 90 minutes.
I wonder why these other plans wouldn’t go past 60 minutes, I feel like that’s where the true gains are to be made. IMO.
TrainerRoad could get you past 60 minutes but it might take a while or you have to pick your own workouts to progress further with time.

4 Likes

Totally a guess, but I wonder if compliance plummets when they try to schedule those extremely long intervals. Especially when so many plans assume you’re training outdoors. It’s hard to find a route that’s going to give you 30+ mins for one interval. Fascat does assign some rides that have instructions like “Do a ride with as much SS as possible until you reach X TSS”.

4 Likes

re; this…

“4H Endurance with Sweet Spot
Think in terms of 20 - 60 minutes or more of a sustained effort in the sweet spot. You can ‘check’ how well you do by analysing your power file and looking at the normalised power for the sections you rode at Sweet Spot.
Overall this should be ‘moderately hard’ effort with a TSS ~ 200 and also fun. Lots of freedom & flexibility”

That is 20 to 60 minutes per interval not session total TiZ

3 Likes

Here’s the kind I was talking about

125 TSS: Zones 2 - Sweet Spot
Ride till you achieve a TSS of 125- this should take 100- 140 minutes depending on how hard you ride/how tired or not you are

That makes sense, I don’t have many roads for 30 minutes plus TIZ workouts either .
I recently realized that turning around on a segment doesn’t affect the overall workout, IMO.
So if you have a 15 minute segment you could turn around 2 times for “ 45 “ minutes. It is boring going back and forth and I don’t think many people think it’s allowed, it’s like taking a ±20 second break in the interval. Once I started doing it that way it made planning my rides for long sustained efforts easier.

1 Like

I did it just today. I wouldn’t take those breaks in a VO2 interval, but anything else and I’m fine with 15 second uturns.

2 Likes

Yea of course, I wasn’t meaning anything but tempo, SS and threshold. Even threshold I wouldn’t try to take anny breaks unless I’m doing the kolie test or “hour of power” type workout.

1 Like

Yeah, my best road for the KM test is about 10 mins long. It crushes my soul every time I do that uturn :rofl:

Truth be told though, it doesn’t really matter. I can always add or subtract a watt on my FTP if it really bothers me.

2 Likes

Yeah, this is why I’m more focused on multiple, longer intervals rather than trying to push out a 1x60 or 1x75 or something like that. Being able to do something like a 3x30 with a short rest is way more applicable to the kind of riding I actually do, since I’m either riding up or down most of the time.

Along these lines, has anyone found a good way to track TiZ for SST on a Garmin? I’ve got time in zone tracking for the various zones on one screen that I use as a rough guide, but I haven’t been able to find something I could set up specifically to track it throughout a ride that’s more flexible than just using the lap button.

1 Like

Sorry if I’m being thick, but I don’t understand what you’re saying here. You are using the Time in Zone field to track time in zone but that’s not what you want?

He probably is having issues because sweet spot isn’t a real zone, so tracking time in it is quite tricky.

1 Like

Yeah, this is the issue, sorry I wasn’t clear. I keep an eye on Zones 3 and 4, but was thinking specifically in terms of tracking how much time was actually spent in Sweet Spot rather than the zones it straddles. I’m thinking of this in terms of something like those Fascat workouts where they say to spend 50-60 minutes in Sweet Spot, for example.

So something like this, basically:

2 Likes

This is a fantastic question. I honestly can’t believe I never thought of it. I’m now wondering if I used to know and have forgotten.

Right? it seems like something that should just be up in the Connect IQ store already considering how much time cyclists spend talking about Sweet Spot, but there’s almost nothing apart from the native Time in Zone data fields.

2 Likes

I haven’t tried it but this might work. Says you can hard code custom zones
https://apps.garmin.com/apps/80380729-6ef6-4446-b588-c443ee53227f?tid=2

alright, just did 2x45@90%. (one 5min break) What’s next?! :smiley:

4 Likes

A medal. And a large snack.

6 Likes

Out of curiosity, what was your progression to get to a 3x40?

1 Like