Sweet Spot Progression

I’m with you there as my LTHR is right at 90% of HRmax. So when I hear coaches throw around the “aim for 15-20min” at 90% HRmax or greater I can do that all day long if I’m doing a VO2max session. Here’s a 5x5 session from Thursday that puts me at almost 30 minutes of time at 90% of HRmax. I highly doubt I collected that amount of time within 95% of VO2max though.

This is why I just use heart rate as a marker of whether or not something is off. As in, I’m doing 5-min intervals at 118% of FTP, but my heart rate is only hitting LTHR then I know something is off. But as long as I’m making the power and my breathing is labored I’m good to go.

1 Like

“all out” and “full gas” are better descriptions (which is not the same as max effort).

Not real rested. Yesterdag 86km with 1300hm and 6min all out. Breathing like a fish on the dry. Breathing starts after 30s in the block.

Kolie talk about in the webinar is that vo2max breathing and HR is more important than power. For example after 4 blocks. The 5 block due fatique you dont reach vo2max power anymore, but your HR and breathing is the same as vo2max looks like.

1 Like

But WKO5 base VO2max work on power, but vo2max is cardiovasculair and not power based. KM talk about in some webinars and say VO2max is breathing and HR. High cadans will give a lower power, but you reach more central adapation…

Heartrate above 90% of HRmax, high RPM and breathing like a fish. But WKO5 (based on power) will say not more than 85% VO2max…

Good point from @anthonylane and @bbarrera about % HRmax. My LTHR is at 92% of HRmax, so 90% i for me not vo2max.

Slow component? VO2/power output relationship and the slow component of oxygen uptake kinetics during cycling at different pedaling rates: relationship to venous lactate accumulation and blood acid-base balance - PubMed

Or just plain fatigue?

1 Like

“like being waterboarded” is another great descriptor for long VO2 max efforts

2 Likes

Anyone notice the levels for the longer workouts? Over 10

1 Like

It’s because they are custom workouts, the level algorithm only really considers the TR-made workouts.

Not really, there are many TR workouts over 10.

Just making a light hearted comment about how good our sweet spot is

1 Like

Yes, but the TR guys said somewhere that the levels aren’t generated right for custom workouts.
(I think they mean, they have checked the auto-generated levels of their workouts, but they haven’t got round to / don’t want to looked at the custom workouts)

…I find the whole “levels over 10” thing is a bit nuts tbh. What’s the point of creating a new scale if you immediatly break it?

Here I totally agree and it doesn’t seem logical to brake the scale, because that causes too much consternation.

image Sorry, couldn’t help myself

2 Likes

Interesting you can see the levels for those. I’ve got very similar ones from one of the SS Progression Teams and none show any level.

(I know the levels of the custom workouts don’t scale directly - see some of the 20+ jobbers - but I think that long sweet spot would actually scale well and as long as you aren’t taking it too literally you can get a gauge of what the SS level is vs a Wright’s Peak etc)

Haha, but there it just goes to 11 by default, that is fine. What I have issues with is saying there are levels 1-10, and then immediatly have some over that.

I do understand where the problem is - to scale the workouts appropriatly, you sort of need to know what the maximum is, and that is impossible when anyone can just come and make their own workout. However, they could have scaled them and then sqaushed the scale with a logarithm or something.

looks like you’re on the mobile app - have you forced the update of it? For some reason my Android app didnt auto update and I had to manually do it, and then I saw the progression levels.

I have, I can see all the Workout Levels on the TR workouts in my calendar :+1:. Thanks though.

1 Like

Do you have any workouts with 2*60 that show a “level”?

its a 12
You can see it on on the workouts tab in the browser and just filter to your custom workouts.

1 Like

Thanks very much for that.

I don’t know if I’m doing it wrong, but the only custom workouts I can see are the ones in the “Team” I joined “More Sweet Spot”