Sweet Spot Progression

This. I spent 4 years paying attention to power-vs-HR and gave that data to my first coach in August 2020. We are going to do a field test soon, but have been doing all training based on power-vs-HR along with some max efforts at different durations (5-sec, 15-sec, 1-min, 2-min, 10-min).

There has been quite a bit of discussion on here that the 3/1 week structure is too much for some people, and especially for those a bit older. So youā€™re not alone in feeling that 3 weeks is too long. Just modify it

2 Likes

Thanks. Maybe over 1 year it will go betterā€¦

Absolutely there are benefits, and you will likely be faster. Iā€™m young and recover like a champ so I usually do 4 works on, 1 recovery week. I think a lot of people donā€™t pay attention to how they feel and just do the recovery week whenever it is scheduled, but it totally depends on how you feel.

Iā€™ve experimented with full rest weeks, not as in, no bike riding at all for 7 days, but following the TrainerRoad method of all low-intensity rides of varying lengths. I feel flat, and I find that I probably donā€™t need THAT much rest, unless itā€™s a mid-season breakā€¦which I like to do before I start ramping up for cyclocross season.

I generally design my plans to be 3 on, 1 off, but instead of taking a full easy week on week 4 I might just take 2-3 days off completely in a row, rather than 7 days of easy riding. And if Iā€™m feeling whacked I have no problems working in 2 days in a row w/o riding to freshen up.

Last week I rode Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday and then took off Friday and Saturday (no bike) and then an easy recovery ride (45 min, 8TSS, 0.34 IF) on Sunday. I felt incredibly fresh and am smashing this week.

1 Like

My current experience is that a regime with blocks of 3 weeks with intensity is on the high side for me (I am 48 years old). If there is too much else going on in my life, I tend to start fading seriously during the third week. On the other hand - as you - I donā€™t think I need an entire rest week to recover. After 3-4 easy days I feel like I am firing on all cylinders again.

Maybe I just need to get rid of the idea of using full weeks to plan training? Think I heard Seiler at some point, mentioning that full weeks were not always the optimal timeframe.

Also 3/1. For the rest week I need 1 workout with some kind of efforts - shorter intervals but some intenstiy. My best recovery week I had was 2 days off, 2x Z2 (2h), 2 active recovery and one z2 with some efforts on top. This week, due life I have done just 1 ride and my HR was through the roof. First 30 minutes were horrible. Tommorow I plan z2 with efforts to up my game a little bit (not to mention mental component, that causes me to belive that 1 ride in 4 days means my FTP is 100W less and I have lost all my fitness, but this is just my insecurity).

2 Likes

I canā€™t do recovery weeks. I always end up having at least 2-3 easy weeks. Once out of the training flow, I find it really hard to get back. I do take recovery whenever I feel like I need it though, so for example if I still feel tired on Tuesday after a long Sunday ride, Iā€™ll have Tuesday off as well as Monday. Thay way, I think I can keep fatigue under control and not need full weeks off.

Also, ā€œlife happensā€ often enough that makes me take more days off in a row. Whether thatā€™s actual recovery is debatable though, usually its because of too much work or struggling with fatigue/illness. Last week for example I didnā€™t ride until Saturday, after having a strong reaction to the covid vaccine the Sunday before. So while thatā€™s training time lost, I donā€™t think it helped with recovery either.

I never do a full restweek because for me is it to long. Always 5 recoverydays with a couple restdays (no riding) and Z1 rides with some efforts. I will try 2 weeks of work with 4 easy days between monday and tuesday.

A bit of an update. Itā€™s been 8 weeks since my final Sweet Spot ride that concluded my extensive block. Which only had me build up to 1x60 @ 90%. Very modest, and very doable for almost anyone. I havenā€™t done anything sustained other than some 10, 12, 15 minute threshold workouts since then. Everything has been endurance, tempo or VO2max for the 4 weeks.

Went for a hard one today with a palā€¦Needless to say, the ability to sustain power has not diminished.

Screen Shot 2021-05-07 at 12.16.44 PM

3 Likes

Iā€™ve posted before I believe there is much value in a 16 days on / 5 days off cycle for athletes over ~40

[Posted details a few times, not sure in which threads]

The 5 day deload is Monday - Friday.

Out of interest I just checked mineā€¦
Low 110%
Mid 114%
High 118%

When I donā€™t know or havenā€™t looked at WKO I normally use 112% for > 5 minute intervals and around 115% for 3 and 4 minute intervals. After the first 2 intervals I just use feel to average the highest power I can over the set (always in resistance or slope mode.)

After a the first few sessions of a block I use my previous weeks history. Progression ends up being either an extra few minutes interval TiZ or an extra 5 watts for the average of all the intervals, sometimes both when response and recovery is going really well.

On TiZ I typically aim for 24 - 30 minutes of intervals giving ~ 15 - 20 minutes at VO2max
Examples
24, 6x 4 minutes
25, 5x 5 minutes
24, 4x 6 minutes
28, 7x 4 minutes
30, 6x 5 minutes
28, 4x 7 minutes (rarely)

I donā€™t hard start intervals often as it results in power dropping below at level where I can maintain my HR or I just quit the intervals. I get more time at VO2 doing longer state state (flat) efforts, 5x 5 is probably my favorite session. I tried soft hard start intervals but they are still very hit and miss, Iā€™d rather go with the greater chance of a good session from state-state intervals.

Today i did a 6min all out on a climb. Before today my best 5min power was 359w, but today i did 6min 359w! I improve my 5:15 till 6:25 ATH with around 10w, but more important the recovery went really faster and had the feeling that i need to go less deeper (offcourse i went really all out. avg hr 97% of HRmax :wink: )

3 Likes

Listened to KM about vo2max on the ā€œendurance innovationā€ podcast yesterday. Was excellent, will answer a lot of questions that have come up here.

1 Like

Yes i have listened to! Really good!

Today i did 5x4min Vo2max on a climb. It went very well for my feeling. Breathing like a fish, high rpm etcā€¦ but WKO5 says its only 9:23 above 85% and 1:38 aboven 90%ā€¦
The power is not 90% in Vo2max, but as Koolie says in the podcast, a lower power doesnt matter, but how do i interpret the data?

2 Likes

Hmm, interesting.

Just started doing sweet spot work a month ago, and havenā€™t done much progressing. Maybe out to 50 minutes now. But Iā€™ve done a LOT to develop basic aerobic endurance over the last 8 months.

On a related note maybe someone wants to comment on this climb of duration 17 minutes and 37 seconds (17:37) on a 10% grade. Rested and relaxed coming into this effort. This climb followed an earlier 35 minute climb:

Three observations:

• breathing on that one felt like I was really really close to vo2max for at least half or two-thirds of the interval
  • could have gone 20-30 minutes at that aerobic effort but ran out of road, and my legs and HR were fine
  • WKO has modeled power at VO2max at 306W and 90% pVO2max is 275W. TR shows:

that I was at or above 90% pVO2max for 17:10 of the 17:37 interval.

Regarding heart rate Iā€™m always a bit curious about using it as a measure of vo2max.

• my LTHR is 160bpm which is 91.4% of HRmax (cycling)
  • therefore 157bpm is 90% HRmax
  • spent 3:21 at or above 90% HRmax
  • spent 0:00 above 95% HRmax
  • spent 0:00 at or above LTHR
  • 12:08 above 90% relative vo2max (WKO modeling)
  • 2:41 above 95% relative vo2max (WKO modeling)

This is a case where I believe the WKO model.

And FWIW Iā€™ve always avoided using % HRmax as a measure of vo2max.

1 Like

Were you well rested? Fatigue can play a roll in heart rate response. What was your breathing like?

1 Like

Take this with a grain of salt as I donā€™t understand VO2max as well as some, but I would assume (maybe incorrectly) that if a person is operating at their power @ VO2max or really close they likely are working very close to their VO2max regardless of heart rate. Unless youā€™re VO2max is like 130% of your FTP and your wattages figures are incorrect.

For me, as long as Iā€™m making the power and Iā€™m breathing hard I assume Iā€™m very close to true VO2max. Somedays that might put me at 91% of HRmax, other days itā€™s like 97% of HRmax.

2 Likes

Basically agree with what you said, although we could try unpacking VO2 watts and vo2max. But Iā€™m not an exercise physiologist so kinda pointless. But its why I scratch my head at all the intervals.icu graphs showing time above 90% HRmax. Because I can do a 45 minute threshold effort and spend large majority of my time at 91.4% HRmax but not be at vo2max. And then see lower HR and be at or near vo2max.

1 Like

Check the chart ā€œRelative VO2maxā€. There is a time consideration to reach VO2 max state - the more % of pVO2 max the shorter the time. You have worked just above FTP for a quite short time - so probably WKO is right. The chart you have shown is a custom chart that only marks Vo2 max efforts.

1 Like