Sweet spot base mid volume 2, why so much threshold?

The last time I did SSB MV 1&2 was back in 2020. Just before AT got a full rollout. I’m wandering, does AT not no adapt the plan if it appears that things are too tough? If you’re answering the survey honestly, won’t AT catch you before the hole gets dug? Essentially, the workouts in the plan are just placeholders.

I ask because I don’t use AT.

As I think most of us have realised over years of training, we’re all different and respond to different stimulus, regardless of the ‘science’.

2 Likes

Thanks!!

Spot on! Your feedback from Post-Workout Surveys helps guide the rate of progression through your Plan, ensuring workouts increase in difficulty at a rate that is sustainable and productive for you. Sometimes, the post workout surveys and workout data indicate that you need an extra endurance workout, while other times, it is more appropriate to simply replace the Workout with an easier alternative that targets the same training zone.

You can learn more about post-workout surveys here: Post-Workout Surveys.

If anyone has any questions, please feel free to shoot me a DM!

2 Likes

Also, I would add how much of the data is skewed by new riders completing SS and then doing a ramp test that shows an improvement.

On the paper the plan would seem to work, but does it really?

2 Likes

AT however does not change the structure of the plan.

You’ll still be doing the same number of intensity days during the week just with a different TiZ according to yours PL.

3 Likes

Isn’t the whole idea of sweet spot that it’s many of the beneficial adaptations of Threshold work with most of the recoverability of tempo work, hence the name?

That being said, I’m still replacing my one sweet spot ride in SSBMV2 with the recommended zone 2 ride and extending some workouts with additional zone 2 time. We’ll see how it goes, but I feel good after the first 2 weeks…

1 Like

“Data” is mostly used as an uncountable noun, rather than a plural. Which, confusingly, looks a lot like a singular in context - “The garbage is in the bin”, rather than “The garbage are in the bin”.

I hope I’m not the only one who is completely confused now!

Joe

1 Like

I’m starting to struggle with fatigue as a result of this as well on SSBMV2 and am strongly considering switching to LV. I did a 75 minute threshold workout on Wednesday and Friday due for a 90 minute threshold workout. A VO2 max workout was also included in this training week and basically it it is too much high intensity for me. I am used to riding 5 days per week and had no issues with SSBMV1 but this phase is a different story. I peeked at the Build phase next and it ups the intensity. Not sure what to do, I am new to structured training though and TR.

strong recommend in this case to start with low volume and supplement with Train Now or other workouts as you’re feeling up for them

4 Likes

@ddiaz I am 63 and admittedly not a great athlete. I do try hard and look to do a minimum of 6 hours a week of training. I think you will find that there are slow medium and fast responders, and within this people of all ages with different physical histories, recovery protocols, life stress and so on. Ai and adaptive training is meant to address the above, yet it can’t fully. Therefore you have to listen to your own body. Personally I use a low volume plan and choose the to keep the two hardest (key) sessions then supplement these with various Z2 sessions in terms of duration and where they fall in the training cycle so as to not tank my two hard sessions. Ideally z2 are 1.5 hours but tend to be 1-4 hours. Hope this helps. Good luck with your training.

4 Likes

Depending how you structure it, LV can be more intense than MV. LV has 3 HIIT a week and the last MV plan I did had 2 HIIT working week workouts sandwiching an Endurance one, with 2 longer workouts at the weekend. If like me once you are squeezing the 3 LV HIIT workouts into working week (Say Tu,We,Th) with weekend group riding or TTs, it can be more intense. I found my TTs suffering towards the end of the season. What I’ve ended up doing is dropping the mid week LV HIIT session for an Endurance one so I can comfortably keep my weekend group rides and hopefully my TT performance wont drop this year. If however, you are spreading the 3 HIIT workouts out over the full 7day week and perhaps adding TrainNow Endurance workouts around that you should be fine dropping to LV.

1 Like

I hear ya!

Perhaps this could be added to the last section of Plan Builder, named Plan Overview. Currently, we show the name and graph of each Workout scheduled (without adaptions applied) in your Plan. We could add the zone of these Workouts with the caveat that this could change with adaptations?

If this is what you have in mind, I can pass this on to the team!

1 Like

As someone who came to the forum and was heartened to see I was not alone in having all of these same questions as I make my first attempt at SSBMV2, another part that exacerbates this is the weekly tips. They haven’t really made that much sense since AT came along but particularly for MV2 they make even less sense and simply not having them would probably slightly limit the confusion as well.

I wonder if ChatGPT is smart enough yet to create weekly tips on the fly based on AT adaptations :thinking:

Respectfully, you might want to revisit the SSBLV plans. Not including recovery weeks, there are only 2 endurance sessions in SSBLV1 and 2 combined.

SSBLV plans have to have a lot of intensity because they only utilize 3.5 hrs of training per week. I’m a 52 yr old multi sport athlete. I simply cannot do SSBLV and run anymore.

• TR user since 2014.
2 Likes

Yep SSB LV 1 is sweet spot, sweet spot, threshold

SSB LV 2 is VO2, sweet spot, threshold

For me, I can manage this but any additional riding need to be Z2 down in the 55-65% range.

If I do my Saturday group ride, I skip the threshold.

2 Likes

Yeah, it’s kinda crazy IMO. I guess if you ONLY ride 3 hrs per week then doing sweet spot, sweet spot, threshold is fine. But like, I am trying to do 2 days gym work during base season and god forbid you throw in any additional riding? I don’t think it’s a very well designed plan.

I hear you. I struggle to squeeze in strength training also.

I recall on the podcast, a discussion about this. The takeaway, I believe is this: if you have the time, do strength training after one of the bike workouts, preferably the easiest of the week.

Happy training!

It is literally designed for someone that has only 3-4 hours to train. They don’t take into account any external factors because hey, we’re all different. They have always said you need to modify as necessary depending on your external stressors and goals.

Plenty of people are having excellent experiences doing LV+additional work. Some people maybe sub or dial down a workout here and there to fit in what they can achieve.

Personally I’m doing LV, gymnastics, trampolining, strength training and a 3-4 hour MTB ride each week. The only change I make is subbing out the 90 min for a 60 min alternative.

3 Likes

I guess that is where I feel conflicted. I feel like I’m signing onto SSB LV but if I strength train, I cannot handle the workouts. So then I am like do I reduce the workout intensity or skip strength training? My current plan is remove 90 min threshold for 90 min Z2 + strength training after. But then I feel like I’m skimping on the plan.