Supressed Maximum Heart Rate

Hey Bgrim,

sleep is ok, most of the times. Motivations is like ON FIRE, i just want to know that i’m not harming myselft with ramping up the training again.

Morning resting HR is pretty stable around 40.
2 rest days per week, rest week all 3 weeks.
15 - 20hrs a week riding time, around 700 - 900 TSS p/wk.
Last year similar.

I have no medications. I supplement iron cause of ferritin levels on the bit lower side (~40), B Complex, Glutamin & Leucin.

Hm i can stop taking the iron & see if there is any different outcome then.

Thanks for that one,

i use a HR Monitor from SmartLab atm but i also have one from Garmin here and i will use this one next time i train & test.

Can be the issue but i think it’s not a technical problem rather then something physiological.

Yes that is my biggest fear. Then the training program was the absolut wrong one for me and i was listening to the wrong advice.

And as far as i know from fast to slow it works but reverse it is almost not possible :frowning:

Thank you for your input.

I would rather prefer the fatigue reason then the fiber type switch which could also be the case. At least fatigue is easy to cure…

I’ll gonna get a blood check again next days & will post here when i get the results.

The last blood check i did covered a lot of the critical parametrs & everything was in ideal conditions. But this is a few months back and could have changed now after this training of course.

Not sure they can’t be converted back. I think most fibres are actually mixed type, and they just learn different abilities. You’ve made them aerobically more efficient, but perhaps at the expense of some snap.

I’d do more focussed anaerobic training, and you might want to do some lifting too. Most likely it’ll take a bit, but will end up higher than your previous power.

1 Like

How are you going to prove it?

Thank you bobmcstuff.

It would be the safest choice for sure.
I’ll gonna run a medical check & hopefully this will bring some more insights.

Like i said, hopefully fatigue & not a non reversable fiber type change.

Prove what?

Non reversible fiber conversion.

Look, you did a bunch of diesel work. Usually that takes the edge off punch. Is that a surprise?

1 Like

no not really… if non reversible fiber conversion is really the reason and not fatigue then i wish i would have never met this massivly incompetend dude which calls himself a high performance coach… :confused:

Still it is an interesting topic, individual maximum heart rate in general. If our conclusion is right then it means the less glycolosis going on in relation to the size of your aerobic capacity (heart, lungs, blood, mitochondria - simple spoken), the lower the maximum heart rate and the less of the aerobic capacity is usable if there is no other reason for it like fatigue for example.

Bit like an engine with a too small injection system, also can’t rev up to it’s maximum possible capacity, no matter how big the engine is…

The basic problem is you can’t prove some of the speculation on “why?” and while entertaining, I think its better to focus on the fundamentals of training and physiology.

You can go to pubmed and find papers on how endurance training decreases maximum heart rate, in both elites and non-elites. But they got faster, why? One possible cardiovascular reason is that stroke volume increased, therefore the heart is pumping more oxygen for fewer beats.

Recently stumbled across this summary of muscle fiber types:

Skip to the physiotherapy section and this nice pic:

Go look at the stroke volume page on wikipedia, and the Determinants section should convince you it is a complex topic even without bringing individual differences and responses to training into the discussion.

I think the stuff about fiber type is interesting, but honestly much more likely to be a red herring…

You don’t mention I think how long your training block has been, but this literally happens to me every time I get carried away and run blocks together (ignore my recovery weeks!) etc… Heart rate gets supressed and don’t seem to be able to do that last punch.

Why not just try a proper recovery week first and then see what happens…

2 Likes

This happens to me every year. When the cx season is over, I basically stop doing intervals and just ride lots. From about May to September, no matter how hard I push on a climb, I won’t get HR over 180bpm. I can’t. It’s too much diesel work and too much volume.

After a couple of easy weeks then a couple of weeks of vomit inducing VO2 max stuff, I’ll hit 185-186 easily. In my first race of last season I averaged 173, having maxed out at 175 about a month earlier.

Take it very easy for a couple of weeks. Do a few weeks of threshold+ work. Then have a couple of easy days and do a 20min FTP test. If that doesn’t ‘fix’ the issue, go and get a checkup.

3 Likes

Thanks for your reply, @bobmcstuff & @RecoveryRide , this gives me now some hope again :slight_smile:

I’m gonna take now 1 - 2 weeks completly off, then 1 - 2 easy transition weeks with some activations and then some baseline testing. That should fix it hopefully, a proper reboot.

Not super excited about it now when the weather gets nicer & nicer but i have not really a better choice right…

i hope so…

It’s actually pretty straightforward and a black and white answer. Fatigue, simple as, take a full rest week.

2 Likes

I’m already on it :wink: Pretty tough …xD but looking forward for the outcome :wink: