Strength Training

If DOMS is an issue, you can start with functional training with lighter weights. After 2x 6week (full SSBHV) blocks your body should be accustomed to continue with “real” strength training if you wish to. I like functional training because exercises involve multiple joints and are mostly asymmetrical as everyday tasks usually are.

For me personally, functional training is enough. 3x week, same days as hard cycling workouts (Tue/Thu/Sat). I’m adjusting it’s loading / recovery in sync with cycling blocks i.e. 5weeks increasing repetitions weekly 10 → 14, 6th week recovery with 8 reps, number of sets is always 5. Once next block starts, i switch to next weight and start repetitions increase again from beginning. Exercises with dumbbells:

If just starting, can even skip weights for some time until joints are ready for heavier loads. As any weight bearing training is heavy on joints, better supplement diet with collagen.

EDIT: repetitions/sets/periods above are personal for me, found through overreaching pain or development plateaus. YMMV.

3 Likes

I have been mixing in 3-4x per week strength with stretching and yoga on off days with the equivalent of a MV plan during the current WFH environment. For me, the key has been to start slowly with functional dumbbell workouts and build up. Due to scheduling, I am doing strength before the bike workouts on weekdays and reversing the order on weekends. So far so good but I am being careful not to bury myself in the (home) gym the same way that I would if I was doing strength on day without a bike workout. DOMs goes away pretty quickly once you get in a routine.

2 Likes

Floor Bench Press

I’ve now got all the kit I need for 5x5 except for a weight bench - so I googled for ideas and found the Floor Bench Press. I’ve modified it by putting two 10kg plates and my hoodie on the floor, under my upper back/neck so I can get the bar to my chest.

I’m nowhere near my weight limit as I’m building back up, so apart from the lack of safety bars is there anything else I should be worried about?

Cheers

1 Like

I recently purchased a 19 week Strength Training plan from ScientificTriathlon (Training Plans) and very very happy with it so far. The email content goes deeper than the 97 page PDF. Mikael Eriksson does his homework and all the materials are top-notch. Really good stuff.

1 Like

Does anyone use heavy squats or similar leg strength exercises as ”openers” before interval sessions or races? There seems to be at least some research to suggest an improved performance in a subsequent cycling effort ([PDF] Acute Prior Heavy Strength Exercise Bouts Improve the 20-km Cycling Time Trial Performance | Semantic Scholar).

What’s your take? I’ve been doing pistol squats before tougher workouts as they are tough enough for me to be in the 5 rep range. Hard to say if it’s had an effect though.

Interesting.

20km TT is a fairly short effort though, I’m not sure if I can see a benefit to training and long course racing.

Is it usual that doms get worse after couple days? Did strength training on tuesday (low weights/bodyweight pistol squats) after long break and it feels my legs are the weakest today (friday). On wednesday legs felt sore, but not weak…

doms

The D in DOMS stands for ‘Delayed’.

Lifting isn’t rocket science. Lift some sets at some weight. Consistency is more important than the program you run. 5x4, 5x6, 5x7, it really doesn’t matter that much. Reader, I promise that if you spend the time you’re dedicating to worrying about this to lifting you’ll be better off.

1 Like

Yeah I’d you haven’t done it in a while then it could take 3 days to kinda peak and then taper back to normal over the next couple days. I usually do some light movements (as if I was warming up to squat) to help blood flow and recovery.

Yep.

I’ve used similar for sprinters in various disciplines, but the downside is if you’re not used to the extra activation during the race, you can seriously bury yourself.

1 Like

I’ve recently tried incorporating deadlifts to my limited gym sessions (just squats and deadlifts) and my lower back has been horribly sore when I’ve been cycling - to the point that even Z2 is challenging. Yes, it’s a new stimulus and therefore some soreness is probably to be expected, but for those with more weightlifting experience:

Can I expect this to go away once I get more accustomed to the DLs, or might there be something really wrong with my lifting technique?

As my time in the gym is limited I would really like to stick to compound exercises, however, I really cannot come up with a good replacement for DLs.

That kind of soreness makes me think it’s a technique issue, but it’s be hard to say without a video. I’m not sure I can ever remember my lower back being the sorest part of me after deadlifts. It’s usually my hamstrings or glutes. Make sure you are keeping your back straight and not letting your lower back round.

If your technique is fine and it is just normal soreness then, yeah, it should go away after a couple deadlift sessions.

But if you’re able, throw a video up here of you doing a reasonably heavy deadlift for people to see your technique. (Doesn’t have to be max but a lot of people can have good technique with low weight and then have it fall apart at higher weight)

2 Likes

Thanks for the info. I’m actually leaning towards the technique issue, as I could be rounding my back without having realized. Should get this checked :+1:

1 Like

I advise switching to trap bar. It’s pretty common for cyclists to have an issue with straight bar DL.

3 Likes

If you have access to the equipment a trap bar DL is a great substitute. It requires slightly less flexibility and it pulls you down instead of forward so it’s easier to keep a flat back.

Ah, good idea! Will do, assuming there is one at my gym :+1:

Although trap bar might work I find it too similar to squat. I’ve moved from conventional deadlifts to sumo. It works better for me. But at the beginning you could still use a coach or at least a spotter. Perfect technique is paramount!

I’m older and concerned about safety/technique. My go-to alternatives in my home gym are pull-thrus (band), kettlebell swings, single-leg Romanian deadlifts, and kettlebell sumo deadlifts. At the gym I’ll do trap bar deadlifts.

1 Like

What does your session look like before you move to deadlift?

How heavy did you start at (compared to your squat or 1RM)?

Check for rounding or arching of the spine when youre lifting.

If its hard to see without losing form, then film it - the guys on this forum helped me out with my squat form.