Stagnating weight despite caloric deficit

Damn @Macy thats great, congrats!
I weight myself everyday in the morning after the same rituals. At the end of the week I’m adding everything up and divide it by seven to get a weekly average/normalized weight. I dont care if my weight varies from day to day, but I note observations down, like: If my weight is pretty constant I’m consistent with my training (TSS from week to week) and eating habits.

1 Like

Yes, it matters for a few reasons. The main one is that protein and fiber are satiating. Meaning, if you choose foods with that are high in those things, you will feel full longer. Second, if you are counting calories, choosing these foods will give you more room for error. Towards the end of the video, he goes into how pretty much all of the major diets that have become uber popular are either due to increased protein, or increased fiber even if that wasn’t the point of the diet. For example, high fat/low carb, basically leads to increased protein intake.

I’ve tried counting calories generically, not worrying about composition and always felt hungry, which makes a calorie based diet harder to stick to. If you can do it, then you are right, its just calories. However, the other benefits to protein, is muscle repair/growth (probably not going to see much growth in a deficit), and with fiber, it will aid digestion and lead to a healthier gut, which as a person with ulcerative colitis, is a help to me.

1 Like

Yeah you’re right it is a usefull information :smiley:
I wouldn’t describe myself as being very accurate with macro’s but I pay attention to them. If i felt hungry I just tried to eat foods with a low glycemic index and a lot of greens and that helped a lot :smiley:

If you eat more during training weeks, your weight might go up, just because of the glucose and associated water storage. Even if you then use it all for training. That might be why your weight is lowet in recovery weeks.

Also consider if Diet is close to dialed you mentioned you are a student Stress hormones can play a big roil in pursuit of weight loss. Are you adding in to your routine some form of reduction in stress or mechanism to bring mind to resting state ???Just a thought

What are your weight losing macros that you are targeting?
FWIW. My baseline earlier this year (lost from 173 to 159 lbs, as low as 158) was 160gCarbs, 135gProtein, and 75gFat. For my reset I transitioned to 195gC. A major portion of that increase was on the bike. For a couple of days I increased in weight but the 3rd day or so, dropped back down. 10 days later, I added another 40gCarbs, 20gProtein. Again, mostly on the bike as I had a time trial in 2 weeks. Again, a slight increase only to follow back down. After I had my time trial, I settled into a maintenance range of 180-220gCarbs. I actually lost another couple of pounds.

Thank you for your input and I do meditate from time to time. I „only“ have to write my masters thesis since I already finished my courses and stress is way lower compared to the last months. :slightly_smiling_face:
I think I’m far away from nailing my diet, protein is way to low and fats too often to high. The basics are ok but there is so much to learn about diet and foods which makes it at least for me a never ending process. I caught myself being a little to protective about myself and the input you guys gave me. I took a look in my macros from the last weeks and guess what, I’m not even close to 1gr of protein of bodyweight, my carbs and fats are to high and I should vary more with different kind of carbs. Cravings are getting stronger and while I try to eat clean, some snacks sneaked their way in. And while I count and weight them they are of course something „worse“ compared to healthy foods. So back to basics to hummus and carotts :smile:

Currently my macros are carbs 238gr, fats 63gr and protein 95gr… I don’t pay for myfitnesspal account and can’t change the macros individually so I just aim for 120gr. of proteins. Hope I got the numbers right but let me know if they don’t add up. I always felt comfortable with them but ur proteins are really high compared to mine. Do you drink shakes etc. or getting them in with regular food?

I do shakes sporadically but I just learned foods that are protein rich. At least the last time I looked you can use myfitnesspal (loseit, others) without paying. I think it will give you the macros. I gave my numbers, not as your standard, so that you can see how I “reset”. You can play around with yours. Letting your body relax from the deficient, then reducing carbs by 30g might give you what you are looking. On the other hand, you might be at a good “ideal” weight.

Current protein recommendation is 1.6g per KG (recent Science of Sport podcast for reference), but early in my weight loss I read that it should be of target weight rather than current weight. I haven’t been able to find that source.

I don’t know whether there’s a scientific basis, but my n=1 is that I had stepped target weights. I went into maintenance for a few weeks/ months before deciding to go again. That was more me having an initial target, and then at that decided I’d like to be lower and having a new one, rather than a strategy from the outset.

I do supplement my protein - mixed with natural yogurt normally over a fruit salad or with cereal/ muesli/ granola. I rarely just have a shake, as more satisfying eating smoothie ingredients than drinking them for me.

1 Like