Specialized epic Evo comp 2022 - how to save weight

I have the same bike but in a large which my shop was lucky to get!! They’re not anticipating any of that size or model to arrive till next year. So far loving the stock setup for now but thinking for next year’s events and races, I’m doing the same thing on upgrades for saving weight. With pedals and tubeless setup, it came in at 28lbs (~12.7kg).

As a road/gravel guy, I know wheels are first so looking at the Roval Controls too. My other items I’m looking at are the bars/stem and dropper post. For the bars/stem, I’m thinking of going with Enve M6 stuff. As for the dropper, I was hoping the new '22 Fox SL model would come in a XC/trail spec, unfortunately it doesn’t come in longer travels to match what the Epic Evo needs.

Did you keep the original tires and what pedals do you have to get to 28lbs? I really hope I can get close to 25lbs without pedals. I was running a Spark RC prior to this so riding this will be quite different for the first few rides. I just hope it won’t be to trail like to race longer XC races.

Yes using the stock Ground Control tires to see how it compares to the Maxxis on my old bike. I have some new tires ready but waiting to use those on the new wheels upgrade. This will be my training / fun wheels and the Rovals for long events and races.

For pedals I use Crank Brothers candy 7 which I interchange between my MTB and gravel.

For me it would be wheels and cassette. That would probably chew through the entire budget right there. Crank if money was left. Basically, rotating mass. But that is assuming you already have good shoes and pedals.

I wouldn’t go too light on the tires. Last SWorks tires I used were paper thin. I rubbed a rock and they were trashed (a friend did the same thing, same day, same tires).

For racing, personally, I would pull the dropper to save some more. But I am a bit different there from most.

1 Like

My preferred mechanic refused to fit the Garbaruk for me, as he’s been burnt so many times on their items.

I tried fitting the cassette, onto two different wheels, with other mechanics assistance, and the tolerances prevented it being able to be screwed onto the XD driver. After full disassembly and reassembly of the cassette, I could get it on.

Additionally, The two garbaruk jockey wheels had their bearings disintegrate completely in less than three months of use.

It is nice to have a 10 to 46 11 speed, and it is light not going to Eagle, but it’s not worth the effort

1 Like

I’m trying to decide what tires I would like to run when racing and considering weight and price the specialized S-Works Fasttrack in 2.35 seem like the best all-round option. They are so light at 615g that I suspect they have very fragile sidewalls. Anyone with experience running the recent S-Works tires and are they fragile?

1 Like

For tires, I don’t understand why anyone would race diiferent tires than they train on. If a tire flats in training, probably will in a race. Tire construction needs to be durable enough to survive both training and racing. Unless a rider exclusively trains on trails that are tougher on tires than they race, durable tires are needed everywhere. Tire tread selection is a different story, and is course and condition specific. It is probably best to train on what you will race.

S-Works versions of tires are expected to flat. Grid is expected to last and Control are expected to last most of the time.

1 Like

Due to an apparent tire shortage (no available 2022 stock), it was quite tricky to find the tires I was looking for so I finally settle with 2.35 specialized fast track in the control casing. I’ll probably mix a fast track rear and the stock control tire in the spring and fall when the condition are muddy with leaves everywhere.

I was also able to find a set of the new Roval control (1450g - 29mm inner, 28 spokes) which was also very difficult as there’s no 2022 stock but thankfully a bike shop had one in stock.

I only need the bike to arrive now and I’ll hopefully have it in the 25-25.5lb weight range.

1 Like

Hope you get your bike soon! You’ll definitely enjoy this quick machine. Go for a few rides to figure out the base feeling, then add those upgrades one at at time.

I just upgraded the bars to the OneUp CF and very noticeable for me, at least on the PNW trails we have around here. Also saved a good 115g in weight too. That alloy bar was stiff but felt like it wasn’t compliant and seemed to move all the trail bumps to my arms thus wearing me out.

Probably will work on wheels next if I can find 'em since I noticed these are hard to find too.

I’m just looking at the OneUp carbon handlebars and have spied the Pro Tharsis 3Five bars. Does anyone have any experience with them?

The Pro bars are ~200g at 800mm. That would mean sub-200g when I chop them down to 730mm.

I like the look and sound of them, however don’t know if their “tuned compliance” is a marketing gimmick? The OneUp selling point is also compliance but they have a)a different shape, and b)there’s enough reviews online confirming the feel.

What stem did you go for dirtyzilla?

I have the RaceFace Turbine’s on order, ETA end of this week after a few weeks of backorder.

I was skeptical on the OneUp bars after watching a few reviews and reading up on these, but the feel and compliance is spot on. Great stiff bars in the right areas while still enough flex when climbing and descending to dull out the harshness of the trails. Very happy with these.

1 Like

Thoughts on how light is too light for an XC/DC bike that you want to be able to ride technical/gnarly trails…?

Anyone seen MtZoom?

Other than Bar, stem and wheels which you estimate at 1kg.

I probably wouldn’t scrimp on the brakes but upgrading to the G2 RSC might save you in the region of 100grams.
You will save 110grams changing to an XO1 cassette.
You will save 25grams chaning to silicon ESI type grips.
You will save around 100grams upgrading to the S works Power Saddle.
You will save around 20grams changing to Ti bolts - Brake rotors and stem.

Tires will be weather and terrain dependent so hard to discuss.

3 Likes

Bearing in mind, availability of parts is likely to determine choice. I’d be looking at bars, saddle, seatpost, cranks and cassette. Also switch to tubeless set up.

On of the most overlooked aspects is the mud that will accumulate on your bike during a ride. A crud catcher type device might be a worthwhile investment?

I’ve just done the same exercise with my XC bike, with a similar budget (albeit £1500). I splurged on Ritchey carbon bar, Hope carbon seatpost, Flite Ti saddle and Fox Factory 32 Step Cast forks. I couldn’t find and XTR cassette, but that’s next on the list.

Have you installed the Richey bar?

Yes, I’ve installed it.

Do you like it? Have you noticed any changes in harshness?

I never rode the bike stock so can’t say to be honest. I do like the bar - suits me in terms of rise and sweep. I’m able to dial in a comfy position. Yeah, I like it. Looks great too!

1 Like

Do you have pictures of them and the build so far? (Maybe on the TR Users bike thread? TrainerRoad users' bikes)

I’m still very tempted by some carbon bars. I have 7075 Syncros bar and stem though so in order to drop weigh I have to spend a lot of money. I like the idea of extra comfort/compliance without degrading handling, but I’m nervous about the additional risk with the clamping during reassembly post travel…

First and third pic is midway through the build before I fitted the forks.

3 Likes