Special Guest: Amber Pierce – Ask a Cycling Coach 193

Gatorade works! Full disclosure: I’m sponsored by Clif, but I know they won’t mind me talking straight up science here. Most sports drinks (those designed to drink during exercise - not before or after) have figured out the need to include multiple sources of carbohydrate (CHO). This helps optimize absorption, and Gatorade (original basic formula you can get in cheap powder form) does get it right. (Clif does too.) So, you can likely add plain whey (Bob’s Red Mill or Tera’s Whey mix/dissolve well) to your current hydration mix to make a recovery shake. Just calculate how many grams CHO per scoop, so you can get a final ratio of 4:1 grams of CHO to grams of protein. Keep in mind this doesn’t have to be big on total calories; just 200 or so with the 4:1 ratio is enough to signal the recovery cascade. Brands like Clif also have actual recovery shake mixes (Clif’s is a tasty chocolate shake), but if you’re on a budget you can mix up your own. I have found most recovery mixes on the market add a lot of filler (random baloney to give a smoother texture) or antioxidants including Vitamin C (Clif doesn’t, but read a few labels and you’ll see what I mean). I prefer not to have antioxidants right after my workout, because that acute inflammation is part of the healing/recovery process AND part of the training stress. I wait until before bed to take any antioxidants, to get the most out of that acute training stress response, which is the stimulus needed to elicit the desired training adaptations. That said, this is what works for me, and it’s most important to experiment and figure out what works for you!

5 Likes