Solid, High Level Discussion from Empirical Cycling

I admit to getting lost in Kolie’s deep dives and struggle to find a basic (dumbed down) application for many of them. This on the other hand, was a very approachable and worthwhile discussion of broader concepts that has some instant recognition and potential application for me.

16 Likes

this is rory’s first time on the podcast, and he’s a friend, so I highly recommend this episode and I’ve never seen him give any bad training advice to anyone

4 Likes

It was a good episode. A good reminder on alot of basics. I liked “if you can’t remember your prescribed workout, it is overly complicated for no reason.”

12 Likes

I listened to this earlier today as well. I found one of the common themes through out this podcast was to REST sufficiently. I did pickup on their mentioning of sweet spot and tempo work and how it mostly adds fatigue, but not much over just doing lower intensity endurance work. While I just finished up about 3-1/2 months of polarized base and build I have to say while I was less fatigued, I also didn’t feel as primed or ferocious as when doing my MV base/build earlier in the year. Coincidentally I was doing a SS workout while listening.
I also picked up on the deliberate message that breaks are needed not once but also mid-season to help with getting more rest in preparation for the next buildups. I’ve been listening to his stuff for a while and I really enjoy his presentation of training philosophies that he uses with his athletes. His interview Rory was great today, I’ll definitely give it another listen in the next few days.

2 Likes

Not quite. Ss and tempo are considered hard days and should be used in the appropriately long durations. Anything less is just adding fatigue without the payoff

1 Like

A bit like the rides I do with my mates then

Just listened to this, really good episode.

Think I’m on Rory’s “good vibes” training plan, lol.

1 Like

vibes based training is a road to nowhere

In my former triathlon life, this was readily apparent for swim workouts in some canned training plans I had followed. I just ignored the complicated swim workouts and just attempted to match the duration and intensity of the planned workout.

Moments after telling my cross country runners today’s workout is 10 x 400 @5k pace with a half lap jog recovery.

Them:

Michael Scott - I understand Nothing Sticker | Zazzle

4 Likes

They really hit home talking about work stress and upcoming stressful days.
I need to learn to take it easy when works gets a little crazy. My takeaway ; I won’t get better hammering workouts with lots of work stress. Long days and short nights happen but bikes don’t pay the bills. Unfortunately

2 Likes