Small light seatpost mounted luggage rack for a road bike?

Hello everyone! I upgraded my old faithful touring bike, Cannondale T800, which I used for day trips and fitness rides, to Lynskey Helix Disk. This is a road bike with titanium frame. I love its efficiency, and I am happy that long months of figuring out my ideal body position and calculating which bike would meet these goals payed out. I am happy with the bike, but I am not happy that there is no room for anything. I live in Oregon where the majority of population is concentrated in a handful of cities, which enables us to ride in fairly rural areas through forests and farm land without going far away from the metro area. There are no cafes, no places to refill water bottles, and also very few cars. Two large (910 ml) water bottles last me from 50 to 60 km, depending on the ambient temperature (I am a tall guy with wide frame and drink a fair amount when riding) - and I do not like this range limit! There are 70-80 km routes around our metro area which I would like to do but I can’t - they are also in very rural areas with basically nothing there, so I can fully expect that I will run out of water during the ride. There is no room on the bike to store more water. Under the saddle water bottles holder pretty much excludes the saddle bag, it does nothing but trading one problem for the other. If I need to wear layers for a ride which starts early in the morning, there is no room to store my jacket. The idea of sticking everything into the rear pockets of the jersey interferes with my idea of body cooling, and frankly, there is not much room in those pockets, either. I so much miss a luggage rack! Saddle bag is barely large enough for bike repair essentials and the first aid kit, no room left there, either. Frame bags are typically small and could interfere with legs or water bottles - or at least this is my thought (they also do not look attractive). So, I started looking for a seatpost-mounted small luggage rack. I have one of those (I think, Topeak) which I occasionally use with my mountain bike. It is larger and heavier than what I need. I need something more compact. Titanium would be ideal. On top of that, I need to be able to mount Varia radar on this rack.

My seatpost is also titanium, so clamping to it is not a concern.

I wonder if the community has some experience or ideas to share.

I totally do not care what other road bikers could think about me when see me with a luggage rack. Appearance is not a concern for me at all.

Camelback?

Put an extra (smaller, probably) water bottle in a jersey pocket

Loop home in the middle of a longer ride to refill then head out for more distance

There are smaller bags that mount on top of the top tube just behind the stem that could replace a saddle bag and allow the behind-the-saddle water bottle mounts. You could also use one of the water bottle mounts (since that would make 4) to store what would otherwise be in your saddlebag—either in a wide-mouth bottle or a water bottle cage t storage container.

I’m sure others will have other (better) ideas. On my long rides I just stick a third bottle in my jersey pocket and use the stem/top tube bag for snacks.

1 Like

You could add a water bottle cage under the downtube, next to the stem, or on the forks. There are some with flexible straps, so you don’t need bolts.

Is there water somewhere? You could carry a water filter.

I can’t really help with rack names, but how about using one of those large saddle bags for bike packing? I think there are also one or two products out there that add rails to your saddle to attach the bag more firmly.

1 Like

Carradice Barley and Bagman
Tailfin
Tubus Airy

1 Like

Great ideas, thank you for sharing! Indeed, shorter rides or rides where there is a cafe or a state park with water, or rides where I can loop around the car do not require anything special and can be ridden as most road bikers do (with some water in bottle cages and basic kit of a spare and CO2 cartridges), and it is great to not carry extra weight. The more I think about it, this question is about the “best known method” for long range “exploratory” rides (or training for a Century rides) through less populated areas with little or no services (or without knowledge if there is a place to refill bottles along the way) which are akin day touring, but on a road bike. The ideas of re-configuring the storage as needed, like extra bag for tools mounted on the top tube (which is easy to put on when needed) and saddle-mounted bottle holder (which is also not hard to remove when not needed) sound very practical, and do not make road bike look like a commuter bike on a permanent basis.