Slow CTL Rise...why?

Something seems off with intervals.icu and it’s CTL forecasting based on my plan. I’m about to start a 6-week block of SSBMV1 with a couple of tweaks. The really slow rise in CTL seems off. I can’t really dump much more training volume into the week, but am starting at a relatively low CTL. I would expect more given the block of training I’m about to undertake. FWIW, the out-of-the-box SSBMV1 plan is even slower in terms of ramp rate and CTL gain. As you can I’m almost never in the Green Zone.

Week 1-2 CTL: 37 to 38 (+1)
Week 2-3 CTL: 38 to 40 (+2)
Week 3-4 CTL: 40 to 42 (+2)
Week 4-5 CTL: 42 to 44 (+2)
Week 5-6 CTL: 44 to 45 (+1)
Total CTL gain (6 weeks): 8

I’ll begin tomorrow with the current numbers:

Here are the next 6 weeks:

Nope that seems pretty reasonable how it is forecasted. Remember also that there is more stress in life than training stress so a slow increase is crucial to find a sustainable load

3 Likes

Thanks. Not mentioned: 3 kids, 9-5, and house work

If you want to double-check, an Excel spreadsheet and instructions are in this thread:

1 Like

Where do you find CTL on intervals.icu? And how do you get it to forecast/load your future blocks?

CTL is ‘fitness’ on intervals.icu.

" The blue line shows fitness . This is a 42 day exponentially weighted moving average of your training load. The purple line shows fatigue . This is a 7 day exponentially weighted moving average of your training load."

If you click on ‘Activities’ to view your intervals.icu calendar you can click on a day in the future. That will pop a dialogue box that allows you to enter a variety of different activities. If you click on ‘ride’ (just for example) you’ll get another dialogue box that allows you to further define the activity…but the thing I most want to draw your attention to in this dialogue box is the lower left hand circled “?” ‘Learn how to build workouts!’

You can eventually build a library of workouts to import & place. But, anyhow, that will get you started.

3 Likes

Thanks!

You can also import your TrainerRoad calendar … click “Options” and “Add Calendar” on the activities page. This won’t pull in the actual workout detail but does have the TSS so future fitness can be calculated.

2 Likes

Thanks David!

Does the completed ride/activity replace the forecasted one like the TR calendar? Is it constantly updated from TR’s calendar as I make changes etc etc?

Planned workouts in the past are ignored for fitness and todays workouts are ignored as soon as you have completed one activity. It updates several times a day and when you arrive at Intervals.icu. You can also click the refresh link to manually refresh:

2 Likes

Perfect, thanks!

I made that much harder than it really should have been, but it’s there now :+1::grin: