Shared sorrow is half sorrow ... show me your failed workouts

• I use a TR note to capture a default setup to copy/paste into nearly all my workouts and rides. It captures the fundamental results and prep related to the workout. My aim is to be able to revisit these in short or long term.

• I will review repeated workouts and look for potential prep I should alter for a new attempt at a session, especially if I had any issues with a prior attempt. I also capture a bit of environmental and equipment info that is entirely lacking from the TR info, for reference.

*** EFFORT ( 1 LO - 5 HI ):
*** HAPPY… ( 1 LO - 5 HI ):
*** TEMP, HUMID: *F, %H

*** SLEEP BEFORE:
*** FEELS BEFORE:
*** NUTR. BEFORE:

*** FEELS DURING:
*** NUTR. DURING:
*** ADJUSTMENTS:
*** SKILLS / DRILLS:

*** EQUIP. SETUP: Kickr & E-Flex with my modified rocker base, 34T x 17T, ERG
*** OUTER STRESS:

1 Like
  • Not using POL plans.

• I am using the Low Volume SSB 1 & 2 within AT. So that lays the foundation of what is usually a Threshold, VO2 and Sweet Spot workout each week.

• On top of that, I am adding a 15 minute treadmill run and 45 minute strength training session on Wed. Goal of rounding out my fitness and abilities as a 48yo that was only hitting cycling sessions for the last 6+ years. The strength is also useful in the context of my BMX with the greater upper body demand and need for high power sprints.

• And finally, I am adding a long Endurance ride on Sundays. To a degree, I am turning the Low Volume plan into a Mid Volume plan. I have used MV plans almost exclusively the last 5+ years with decent results. The switch to LV opens me for the non-cycling work now.

• I will morph that to skills practice on the BMX and MTB when appropriate to dial in that side of my racing to match my fitness side.

So, I think that leads to the resulting PL’s I have at the moment, where I lack Tempo, Sprint and Anaerobic at this phase. Does that cover your questions?

ETA: My current Intervals.icu summary:

1 Like

Yes! Very informative. Thank you! I will be interested in seeing the shape of your PL as you approach your BMX and MTB events.

FWIW: Pre-July 2019 July injury (Covid delays over, now finally dealing with it), I was a [hilly] century rider and transitioned to hilly road racing (a blast!, probably similar fun so to your BMX/MTB). I use TP and TP’s WKO5 to analyze my data so I am quite accustomed to TiZ tracking and and the shape of such. So I will be very interested to see how PL charts look as compared to TiZ charts as you and others complete seasons using AT (and PL).

1 Like

Good when you can find that new spark to drive training and improve interest :smiley:

I don’t usually do ride or season reports, but I can start a post or even share via PM for anyone interested.

1 Like

Nelson has IF of .97, on other words, it’s nearly impossible to complete. On a freshly updated FTP I wouldn’t even think about starting it.

1 Like

Nah. It was a Kinetic Road Machine with one of their Control motor things. Defo wasn’t gearing. I checked that. It worked fine the following week. Have since upgraded to a Saris so no longer an issue. That Kinetic trainer was great when it worked (99% of the time) the major drawback though was the inability to switch to resistance mode within the TR app.

1 Like

Here you go.

Just this morning. I haven’t failed one in a while but I was not feeling it today. I think a combination of tired legs, adjusting to no caffeine, higher temp/more humidity than I’ve had in a while, and a bit too much stress, but above all it was running right at my capacity. Felt more like a threshold workout than a sweet spot workout.

4 Likes

Had that happen to me on Sunday :sob:

It was the end of a challenging 3 week block, late base and ramped things up to 11 hour weeks with 3 interval days/week.

Sunday I woke up feeling drained, figured it was emotional because of Saturday’s memorial service for my neighbor (she was only 2 years older).

Got on the bike for a 4 hour ride and felt great. Started fueling right away for the 2x30 intervals I planned to do with a wind assisted climb and a headwind descent.

And then I stopped to eat again and take a few pics…

Managed to somewhat salvage my ego on that second interval, but it felt like a SLOW DEATH MARCH into a strong headwind. Seriously wanted to call my wife to come and pick me up.

On the way home I ran into my brother-in-law crossing the road in his golf cart on the way to the 8th tee. He didn’t have a coke or water, but his partner had mercy and handed me a water bottle. Then I remembered the park a couple hundred yards down, slammed another bottle of water and topped off my two bottles. Limped home. My legs started feeling normal again around hour 4.

Great end to the hardest training block so far, however…

couldn’t help shake that feeling like it was a #fail and I was a #loser

The next day all I could think of was this scene from Tin Cup:

2 Likes

LOL :joy: I just came for the comments…It did not disappoint! Does that make me evil? :thinking:

1 Like

Damn solid dose of the tuff stuff there. Sorry for all that ad hope you shake it and come back with a vengeance.

1 Like

No call of shame is a #DidntFail :+1: and it was a great workout, even managed to bag some 4 year power PRs:

Every cloud has a silver lining! Already back on the carbon horse and ready to get bucked on Wed night worlds :biking_man: in a few weeks.

Ride on :call_me_hand:

2 Likes

I failed one today. Week 2 Thursday ride in SSB2. First failure since the OU in week 1 of SSB1. Normally SS are the easiest to me but I did my first VO2 workout Tuesday. I honestly thought that one was easy but I felt like crap today. I have dietary issues which make it very hard to fuel properly and I think my legs were just empty today.

My next workout is McAdie +4. Now I’m scared :flushed:

This is my recent failure, and actually the first time I’ve seen the second “reasons for failure” survey. I marked “stressed/unmotivated” as my life stress is high.

More recently I’ve been focused on nutrition - hitting protein goals, mostly - and I’ve been able to nail productive and stretch workouts.