Sepp Kuss’ Power Data From Vuelta Stage Win

Not bad for a kid who entered his first road race four years ago…

No massive MVdP surges, but some serious watts for a 64kg rider.

Sepp Kuss 2019 Vuelta Stage Win

5 Likes

I want to see the numbers for his beer chugging

1 Like

In today’s Cycling Podcast is an interview with him, the beer was a non-alcoholic beer.

The perfect recovery drink then :smiley: ! Seems so wasteful that they all take (or pretend to take) a swig and then pop it in the recycling bin.

He’s a very nice rider, watched him win Tour of Utah last year.

1 Like

What is absolutely amazing to me is that he pulled off these kinds of numbers after how many 4k Kj+ race days? Just unreal.

2 Likes

This was something that amazed me as well. > 390W for the last climb. Not sure where his threshold is but this was clearly above.

1 Like

It was two days ago and heavily reported on every major cycling news outlet…

1 Like

right!?! just damn dude. 392Watts @ 141 lbs! It makes my lungs burn just thinking about it.

He held that for 20min on the first climb of the day too. Within 1 watt…

1 Like

With the exact same weight the comparison to Sepp is depressing. I am short of 1 W/kg everywhere and I don’t even want to think about repeatability. Besides, he wasn’t quite rested going into this stage either. Time to start working harder, I guess :wink:

1 Like

Incredible. 6w/kg must feel awesome

I can confirm that it does… for 5min :joy:

1 Like

I was pretty pleased at holding that for just a minute the other day… and even then I was only going 20kph up a hill :confused:

1 Like

It’s funny that we’re all feeling the same, regardless of the watts we’re pushing.

My 10min best is 397w and I was beating myself up for ONLY doing 390 yesterday. Was zwift racing and won in a solo break. If I just would have waited a few more seconds before I let up :joy:

2 Likes

I rode the Ultimate Challenge last year, and he was exactly 2 times faster than I was for climbing Snowbird at the finish. Just impressive to watch him tear up the entire route.

1 Like

and that end of stage power – in the middle of a grand tour – is why they need years of 5-6 hour rides and we don’t. For Sepp to be doing that in his fourth year of road racing is quite something indeed.

their FTP and power at VO2 max doesn’t increase a whole lot over their career – a 20 year old neo-pro may be generating 6 w/kg at functional threshold, but whether that rider can develop into a grad tour contender depends on whether or not they raise their AeT and overall stamina to be able to do that wattage at the end of a 5-hour stage, first, and then to be able to do that three or four days in a row, a week or two into a Tour.

Sepp, he has a future…

2 Likes

Was going to do it this year, work intervened. I’ve seen his times around here on climbs…on another planet.

1 Like

Sorry I’m on holiday and got confused by the days. One of my podcasts failed to download and it threw me off. Please accept my apologies
Cary

Enjoy your holiday! I went back and double checked before I posted because I can never remember what day a stage is after 2 weeks into a GT…