Seems like ERG isnt all its cracked up to be

When I got started with Kickr (wheel-off) I thought having laser focused power training would produce better results. I have a very different opinion now.

Not sure what happened on that Zwift ride. I’d ignore it unless it happens repeatedly.

I don’t have experience with Snap but understand its a bit different experience versus the wheel-off direct-drive Kickr that I’m using. For what its worth this is what I currently do:

• goal: setup trainer to more closely replicate the experience of riding outside
  • turn off Wahoo power smoothing
  • use TR PowerMatch to measure and record power from Stages crank-based power meter
  • use either Erg mode or Level/Standard mode (Bluetooth only)
  • gearing is big chainring and middle of cassette
  • always work on improving pedal stroke/efficiency

That most closely replicates riding outside. And its the same power source for both inside and outside.

In another thread I recently compared outside training ride at threshold to indoor trainer workout at threshold:

Bottom line: inside power with my setup is smoother than outside power, but close enough. In the real world power is going to fluctuate a lot more than on the trainer. Hitting precise targets on the trainer might work for a robot, but your body isn’t a robot. Train like you ride outside.

1 Like