Saris H3 Discussion/Issues

Yeah, killer deal for those that got it. Outside of that, Saris is still running the 20% sale on all their trainers & racks, which puts the H3 at $640 shipped. Still a good deal when looking the other options, but not the screaming deal that this or the one a bit ago were, unfortunately.

I run three fans and the H3 and I run my music and podcasts through a little bluetooth speaker that is plenty loud enough. The fans are way, way louder than the trainer. I donā€™t notice any difference between the H3 and my old Kickr 2018. Trainer noise is literally irrelevant as far as Iā€™m concerned.

8 Likes

I am in the market for a new - my first one - direct trainer.
Both Saris H3 and Zwift Hub are around 500euros, which is my target price. I am bit concerned about H3ā€™s recurrent issues (clicking noises, slipping belt, mud feeling ā€¦)
Are latest units immune? Is the risk worth for better (supposed) road feel, erg control?

Can you elaborate on this or maybe post where you saw it listed as an issue?

I picked up a H3 recently (the first big sale) and coming from a first gen Kickr it definitely has a different feeling to it. Hard to pinpoint what it is though.

• In an oversimplified sense, the Kickr V1 has a 12lb flywheel while the H3ā€™s is 20 lbs. Pure weight is only one aspect of the flywheel though. The actual shape and size (most specifically the Polar Moment of Inertia) and the relative drive ratio (rear axle to flywheel) also impact the functional feel of each trainer.

• Those hidden details aside, you are talking about a weight difference of 8 lbs or 167% which is not a minor delta. I can tell the difference between my Kickr V3 and the Saris H2 that is the same difference you are experiencing. I prefer the H2 for pure feel, but use the Kickr since it is the only one that works with my InsideRide E-Flex.

I came from a gen 1 Elite Drivo, H3 feels much different because of the heavier fly wheel. It has a more of a road feel and I finally have ā€œergā€. Only did a short test with 110w and 150w on erg and it was very responsive, night and day compared with the Drivo and unlike Wahoo, true data output. This in also noticeable in the simulated mode, where I havenā€™t experience the huge lag in response to changing slopes. I havenā€™t experience any slipping belt on simulated climbs or after a short pause as I had with the Drivo. Not sure what the mud feeling is referring to but Iā€™m assuming it has to do with the heavier flywheel at spin up. Itā€™s a bit different than out on the road but one you have some speed on the flywheel, it feel much more realistic (than the lighter flywheels). It not as bad as staring up on a beach cruiser or a track bike vs a road bike but something more than a MTB (excluding department store variants).

The only thing I noticed on my ride yesterday is H3 wasnā€™t picking the power and cadence at low combinations. It was my cooldown after attempting the Empirical Cycling Baseline FTP Test where I was puttā€™n around 30-50w and less than 50rpm to call it an hour on the trainer.

Overall the H3 has lived up to my expectation, cost ~$500 less (2016), and in many ways a better trainer than my Drivo.

I guess I would say the Kickr feels like it holds its momentum better (to me) which I would think would be the opposite I would expect when looking at the flywheel weights. Maybe thereā€™s a point where flywheel weight at a given speed has a ā€œpeak momentumā€ feeling before dropping off when the weight increases. If that makes sense.

I tired overcoming this by using resistance mode on the H3 with a low setting/high fw speed but couldnā€™t get it to feel more like the Kickr that Iā€™m used to.

Maybe/hopefully Iā€™ll adapt with more time on it but right now it gives me a lost fitness panic feeling :rofl:

• This is importantā€¦ if you are using power data directly from the trainer, you really need to get a new FTP related to that different trainer. Regardless of how consistent we want or think power data is or should beā€¦ swapping from one trainer to another will almost definitely result in a different FTP value.

• This means that using an FTP derived from one device may be slightly or greatly incorrect for use on a different device. This can also be true even if you are using the same power data (like from pedals, crank or spider on the bike) because of the function differences that exist in flywheels and the related impact on our bodies.

• Moral of the story, whenever you change power data, or trainersā€¦ itā€™s best to retest FTP with that new setup. I know this runs counter to TR and their new AIFTPD and the fact they typically say ā€œDonā€™t worry about itā€¦ā€ but I have serious problems with that hand waving.

1 Like

I agree.

Luckily Iā€™m using the same powermeter on the same bike as before.

Sure, but as I covered, the flywheel difference may still lead to different numbers.

Have you done a new FTP test with the new trainer?

Not yet.

FWIW the feeling is very noticeable to me when doing Z2 and/or recovery rides.

• Then Iā€™d schedule a test soon.

Related to your use, are you using exactly the same gearing on the bike if you are running ERG, or even relative to what you may be using in any other mode?

• Matched gearing will still likely lead to different values, but different gearing on top of the different flywheels is a multiplier in changes.

In a positive or negative way? Or a neutral way?

Really just different, maybe slightly negative.

On the Kickr you get that ā€œpedaling in mudā€ feeling when the flywheel is going slower (easiest gear at 200w) but can get away from it if you want by using a bigger gear (think 53x11 at 200w). This is in resistance mode or ERG for that matter.

On the H3 you can compensate the same way but you donā€™t get away from the mud feeling quite as much as Iā€™d like.

This could all just be personal preference from what Iā€™m used to from 6 years on a Kickr. Iā€™m secretly hoping maybe this ā€œworking harderā€ feeling just ends up making me faster next year! :rofl:

2 Likes

So just got a new H3 and have used it a couple times now. Noticed that the only modes available to me under device settings are ERG and STANDARD.

Shouldnā€™t there be a RESISTANCE setting as well?

Its been a while and I might be completely wrong, but change from which ever way your connected to the other, ie- connected using BT then switch to Ant+ and the other option should be available along with erg, thats if I remeber correctly.

2 Likes

:point_up_2:t3:this.

And if youā€™re on a PC and cannot turn on Ant youā€™ll have to delete everything TR related and reinstall.

1 Like

Standard = resistance/slope in TR.

Somewhat confusingly on the Wahoo Kickr TrainerRoad supports (or supported) 3 modes but only 2 modes on other trainers.

If you have a Kickr resistance is not the same as standard/slope/level mode as shown in this TR support article: https://support.trainerroad.com/hc/en-us/articles/360016477712-Wahoo-KICKR-CORE

Kinda, but you are blurring two things that are different. Resistance is very different from Standard (aka Slope or Level modes per other resources).

Resistance Mode
This mode mimics the functionality of a magnetic trainer with a linear power curve. This mode includes a variable resistance setting that can be electronically adjusted.

Standard Mode
This mode mimics the functionality of a fluid trainer with a non-linear, exponential power curve. This mode includes a variable resistance setting that can be electronically adjusted.