Safety technology

What do you bring, what tech do you use?

I try to always carry ID with me, either my DL or my ID wrist band.
I have my cell phone with me, which my wife can find using the iPhone app.
My watch and bike computer (depending on which I’m using) links to my phone so I can receive messages and notifications of calls.
I don’t always carry any money or access to money.
Does anyone use the incident feature on your bike computer? Has it been useful?

I do both group rides and solo rides, sometimes quite a long distance from home.

1 Like

I use Road ID, and I carry cash and ID in a waterproof pouch/wallet/ziploc bag. My family does have “find my” for me, but other than that, I also bring Cycliq cameras. Though I have found their battery life to be extremely poor. I have regular lights as well, I always use lights, day or night.

I don’t use the incident feature on my Garmin. It is annoying as hell, as I get so many false alarms.

2 Likes

I recently added the Garmin bike light/radar to my gravel bike. It does a couple things well. On gravel with tire noise vehicles can sneak up on you. It alarms when anything from motorcycle to semi rolls up. Then on pavement it alarms and the visual alarm on my computer stays active if there is a string of vehicles until the last one passes. I was on a climb with a sketchy shoulder wanting to move back to the good pavement but the alarm kept me where I needed to stay safe as 4 vehicles rolled by.

2 Likes

I’ll definitely check into Cycliq cameras. You say the battery life is poor… do you charge them after each ride? Will they not even last through a long ride?

I’m thinking of throwing together a ziplock with some cash, etc., and never use it unless needed. Also, I need to find my Road ID bracelet. When i don’t have that, I make sure to have my DL.

1 Like

That sounds pretty sweet. Will look into that. I always get nervous about who is coming up from behind and if they’re texting while driving.

1 Like

The rear mostly does. The front doesn’t. I’ve started turning off the lights, and using camera only, and carry a different front light. They reduced the battery on the newer versions, I don’t know why. It works fine for short jaunts, like 2-3hrs maybe 4, anything longer, has me worried about running out.

2 Likes

RoadID and See.sense rear light for me.

I also have the live track with my 520+ and iPhone, but my phone has a garbage battery so I don’t trust it to last.

2 Likes

Livetrack sucks the life out of your phone. If you already have Road I.D. App on your phone just use their bread crumb tracker. It is orders of magnitude more battery friendly than Garmin livetrack. That has sucked my phone dead too often for me to use it again.

Also stick your ICE number and details on your lock screen photo

2 Likes

Bontraget Flare dear light, Road ID, Livetrack on my Wahoo and phone in my pocket.

Latest addition - small plastic bag with a mask and rubber gloves in case I need to refuel at a store on the ride. :pleading_face:

1 Like

Brilliant typo… love it! Perfect name for French manufacturer: Mavic is too Top Gun.

2 Likes

Phone in my pocket with Find my Friends, small rear light, Road ID, and at least $5 in my saddle roll.
I honestly only turn my rear light on about 60% of the time but I rarely if ever ride before sunrise or after sunset.

1 Like