Light for my bike

Now that I’m taking the bike off the trainer and onto the road, I’m looking for a light for the back of my bike that will keep me safe. Ideally it would pick the light setting automatically .

7 Likes

I use a Cycliq Fly6 CE with a built in video camera. Obviously a price premium over a standard light: depends how dodgy your roads are.

1 Like

The new Knog Cobber is pretty amazing. Wide range of light, super bright and easy to use.

1 Like

I have the Bontrager Flare City R. It’s like the baby brother to the Flare R. I rate it highly, very compact and plenty bright even as a daytime running light. If you need more brightness then the Flare R has that.

1 Like

I use a Dinotte taillight. It’s bigger than the Flare, but the brightness can’t be beat.
http://store.dinottelighting.com/2018-quad-red-taillight-with-built-in-battery-p111.aspx
I use it as a daytime running light as well as when I’m out pre-dawn. I have had numerous compliments from motorists on how bright it is.

3 Likes

If you have a garmin then the Varia light/radar is worth a look. I love it, much more comforting being able to see what is coming and how quickly.

4 Likes

+1 for the Garmin Varia. I’m so much more comfortable riding with it… especially at speed. When I’m blowing down a hill at 35+ I don’t want to look behind me, being able to take a quick peak at my head unit to see if there are cars around is so much safer. And then just generally to know when there are cars around, especially on roads with no bike lane, just helps you to be that little bit safer.

4 Likes

+1 for the Bontrager Flare R. Had it for a couple of seasons now and it works well. VERY bright, even in broad daylight. My buddy rides with one as well and I can always see him from great distances if he is ahead of me.

2 Likes

I’ve used, and been very happy with, the Exposure TraceR. It doesn’t have any settings other than on or flashing but is very bright and has plenty of fitting options for different bikes.

1 Like

another vote for the Bontrager Flare R. Great value for what it does.

1 Like

Look into a Dinotte light. I’ve had one for several years. Motorists occasionally make comments on how bright it is during daylight hours. Fellow cyclists on club rides comment on how bright it is. It might cost a bit more than some but I look at it as cheap insurance. Rechargeable battery life has been excellent for about 5 or 6 years of use.

2 Likes

Ditto for the Bontrager Flare R - i had a van pull alongside me the other week and shout out his window to me “That back light is fantastic, i could see you a mile off!” which made me smile.

Word of warning though - During heavy rain it completely cut off and wouldn’t charge till it dried out a few hours later. Why brands insist on putting ports on the bottom of the light is beyond me.

Another vote for the Garmin Varia. It works well as a light and but the rear radar is a game changer provided you aren’t always riding in really dense urban traffic.

Nice to know someone else has very similar experiences with Dinotte lights :bulb: . Our Dinottes are easily 8 years old at this point, still with fantastic battery life.

1 Like