Saddle for trainer

This is really simple, sound, smart advice - and despite how obvious it is, I am guilty of obsessively not doing it. I will think nothing of taking a bio break, or stopping to replenish water/fuel during a 2+ hour outdoor ride … which is to say nothing of the micro breaks I get during stoplights, etc. - but when I am on the trainer, I feel as if I am locked in and it would destroy the workout to unclip for even a couple minutes. I have no idea why.

Great advice, super basic and smart… thanks!

3 Likes

A couple of things

1. Try a Brooks rubber saddle with the cutout. This is unique in that it is basically a rubber hammock, the cutout is more flexible than the regular. This is way better than any other saddle on the market.
  2. Bike setup… usually on the trainer your bike isn’t as level as it is with the wheels on. Double check the front isn’t too high or low. Raising the front will have the effect of raising the bars, moving the crank forward and higher, as well as your saddle position being out of whack. Don’t be afraid of having a trainer-specific fit.
1 Like

good points. My main mistake on the trainer was to have the saddle too high.
lowering the saddle considerably was a great way to feel fine. No need for changing the saddle

N=1 here but I LOVE the standard specialized power saddle outside. I’ve done 13+ hour day with no saddle sores… but inside on this saddle I can barely tolerate a hard workout. Same bike, professionally fitted, totally different feeling. Meanwhile, inside I LOVE the power arc, but outside it feels like it’s pushing up into places it doesn’t belong. Moral of the story- don’t hesitate to modify your setup for maximal comfort indoors, just be careful not to throw off your fit too dramatically.

I’m thinking the front is too low then. That would put the saddle too far forward too. Try putting something under the front tire.

1 Like

I am using rollers, which are same height front and back. Still I feel like the saddle was too high maybe in general.
So I feel it is a general mistake most of us do: We think we need to follow professionals and have the saddles sky high.

I’ve had some luck recently running an Antares in large/wide indoors, whereas I’m using a Phenom (standard) outdoors. Quite why this seems to work is a bit beyond me, but I’m not arguing with it!