Runner Legs into Cyclist Legs

Hello, I’ve been a competitive runner for over 25 years. I’m 5’ 9" 135lbs and I have very skinny legs. This has generally been an advantage as a runner. I’ve recently switched over to cycling (body can’t take the pounding anymore) as a main form of exercise and I’ve even started to do some cyclocross races. My question is this: While my cardio is very good, I just can’t seem to generate the same kind of power that many other riders can. My FTP is around 190. My goal is to get to 240-250. I’ve been training with TR for about 6 months now. I started with an FTP of 160. In order to up my power do I really need to hit the gym and start doing weights, or will working with TR consistently eventually yield these results?

Thanks!
XCHuggins

You don’t need more muscle, just spin them faster.

1 Like

When I use TR my cadence is pretty high. I can do 95-105 RPM and it feels fine. So I’m not too worried about my spinning.

@Deej your question is what I’m asking. Do I NEED to hit the gym (which is yet another time commitment in an already busy schedule) or will TR eventually get me there.

If you want to get faster riding bikes, ride bikes.

1 Like

No, you don’t need to.

It may help, so long as you can maintain the additional training load, but as mentioned cycling legs will come - from more cycling.

You’re in a good spot with a big aerobic engine so just be patient.

I would say you’re already on track. Lets compare:

• your starting point is 160W/61kg = 2.6W/kg, mine was 198W/74kg = 2.6W/kg
  • after six month, you are at 3.1W/kg, I was at 3.2W/kg

I.e. we are roughly on same trajectory, and after 3y of structured training I was at 4.2W/kg at beginning of summer. It has fallen since then but this is different story (injury). Note: I haven’t done any additional leg training, just upper body and core exercises.

EDIT: mine power/weight ratio improved mostly by losing weight, in absolute numbers my FTP increase in 6 months was 14%, your is 18% :slight_smile:

@svens That’s helpful. And very good data. Thank you. I’m a small person and I’m 48 but I am also competitive. If I’m going to train, I’m going to try and do it right and if that meant I needed to go to the gym, I would.

But, if the general consensus is that time training on the bike (as in years not just per week) is the main factor then I can handle that.

2 Likes

Ride up a lot of hills. You’ll get stronger legs for sure then. Gym work might help a bit, but not as much as spending the time doing more cycling. it’s certainly not a necessity.

How are you placing in your races? Is the lack of power production impacting you in your races?

I have never hit the gym. I am 5ft9, when I last
jumped on the scales I was 131lb and use 260w to train off for TTs (AI FTP Detected somewhere between 274 and 287 this summer) it just takes time. Any runners I have known who have become cyclists have a terrific aerobic energy which eventually translates to awesome cyclists :+1:

@Jolyzara I’m actually doing well in my races. I’ve done 2 40+ cat 4/5 cross races so far and placed 2nd in both. BUT the people that beat me were able to lay down WAY more power than me on the flat open sections. Turns out they were both cat 2 roadies doing a cross race for the first time.

That’s what got me thinking about all of this.

1 Like

@Deej Do you recommend trying to push lower cadence? More in the 80-90 range? That’s where my legs really suffer.

@HLaB Those numbers are impressive. To be someone under 135lbs and have an FTP above the 280’s seems great.

Little guys like Pidcock and Bernal. Small guys, big power.

1 Like

@Deej Oh man. I’m not even sure I know what that feels like. I’ll mess around with it and see what happens. If my knees explode I’ll send you the Dr. bill :wink:

Just my two pennies worth but when I think cyclocross I think strong Belgians in the mud, who tend to be far more than 130lbs! Your athletic background will transfer to cycling and more cycling is probably all you need to transfer. I would try some hill climbs as that could be your place to shine!

Ask yourself this: what did I do to get strong running legs?

Run for years and years? Work hard on technique, intervals, hills, sprints, endurance? Eat right? Stretch? Etc etc. You’ll get there - gym or no gym - and you’ll love every pedal stroke because you’ll get better each time you go out.

4 Likes

I came from a running background too (retired due to injury) and started with an FTP of 170 (2.3W/kg). 18 months later I’m at 260 (3.9W/kg) and I can feel I have plenty more to gain with the right training. I don’t do gym work, just ride my bike a lot. I will say that I am very dedicated and cycling has become my life.

I started on a TR low volume plan. After a while I added volume and am now at 10hrs/week. I lost a little bit of size in the upper half and put on a little bit of muscle in the legs. I’m actually lighter than when I was a runner (69kg down to 67kg - 183cm). What I’m saying is I didn’t try to force a recomposition through either diet or gym work, it just took care of itself with good training, diet and fuelling.

The gains should come quick initially if everything else is good (diet, stress, sleep, on bike fuel, etc.)

Edit: As a side note I saw a physio when I was a runner years ago and asked if I should do gym work. He said at your low volume (65km/week) you’d benefit more by running more. I increased my volume to 100km/week and had pretty good gains from that. I approach the bike the same way. Also I couldn’t possibly fit in a meaningful gym program at my current volume.

1 Like

I just recently did a CX and my average cadence was 69. You need to have high torque and that comes from muscle. You also need the ability to spike watts repetitively. I spiked 5-10sec at 8+ w/kg almost 60 times in a 40 minute race. CX is many big bursts like that and then coasting in-between as you handle the bike. It’s a completely unique discipline.

If you don’t think you have a good background for that then don’t worry about it and just have fun. You might be a good climber and do well in road races or gravel.

1 Like

It’s going to take more than 6 months. The top people you are racing against have probably been doing it for years, if not decades.

I raced back in my 20s. I got better and better year over year for five years straight.

Weight training is often recommended but you probably don’t want to start that right in the middle of cross season. Maybe start weight training after cross.

1 Like

Sounds like you’re doing well thus far; comparing yourself to cat 2’s after 6 months of specific training is a hell of a comparison.

Being out-powered on flats comes with being a smaller rider to some degree. Not to say that you can’t improve at it (you definitely can and likely will); just the underlying physics work against smaller riders on flats.