Roubaix Vs Synapse

I’m now in the position to purchase a new bike and have narrowed it down to Specialized Roubaix Sport (105) and Cannondale Synapse (Ultegra). I’m looking for an endurance bike for more comfort on my back. Unfortunately most of the bike shops where I live don’t even have these in stock (nor do they even let you test ride them) so will probably be buying online as I know what size I need.

Is the BB30a creak as bad as some people make it out to be on Cannondale as it’s prob the only thing putting me off the synapse as #1 choice.

Anyone riding either of these?
Any input would be grateful.

Thanks

I’m not sure how much it helps, but I owned older generations of both bikes. I had a 2014 Roubaix (my first road bike) and a 2017 Synapse. Both models have been revamped since then.

The Roubaix was instantly comfortable and muted the road like nothing else. But it was also incredibly flexy, which I didn’t realize till I got the Synapse.

The Synapse was just as comfortable as the Roubaix (similar geometry) but so much stiffer, and therefore much faster. I felt a bit more road buzz with the Synapse, but it was worth it because it rolled along so much quicker. I’ve heard that the new Synapse is both faster and more comfortable from folks I know who had both, but I can’t speak on that from personal experience.

As for the BB30, I’ve had 4 different Cannondales (Synapse, CAADX, CAAD12, and SuperSix Evo) and I’ve never had a single issue with a creaking BB. My CAADX has over 10k miles on it and it has never give me an issue, and I’ve ridden that bike through some truly gnarly conditions. That is my all-road, gravel road, mountain bike trail, ride-it-in-the-rain, give-it-hell bike.

I changed the bottom bracket one time, and that wasn’t even out of necessity. I was in between road bikes, so it was my main ride at the time. I have a Kogel ceramic CX bottom bracket, so I put it in there. But zero issues either way.

3 Likes

Thanks for the reply. That’s useful info. Think I’m swaying more towards Synapse :+1:

2 Likes

I’m a certified Cannondale fanboy at this point, but that’s the direction I’d go without a second thought. I’ve heard nothing but good things about the new Synapse.

2 Likes

I have the previous generation Synapse Black Inc Hi-Mod. I’m in love. So is my back. It’s a great bike.

If both were identical, I’d still go with Synapse so you’d have Ultegra vs the 105.

1 Like

Giant Defy?

I own a CAAD 12 '16 and my girlfriend owns a new Synapse '20.

My CAAD 12 does a bit of creaking when I’m standing, but never bothered me enough to sort it. Will be doing bb maintenance soon for the first time in 4 year and I might use locktite.
My girlfriend came from a Specialized Dolce and can’t stop saying how comfortable the Synapse is. No creaking on her bike.

1 Like

The giant defy advanced pro 3 is just outside my budget. I’ve managed to get 10% on a site which drops the synapse and Roubaix in to price range

1 Like

Very few bottom brackets are installed correctly. They require retaining compound. I have 11,000 miles on my current CAAD-12 road bike, the original bearings, no creaking and no problems; same for the Evo I had before with 21,000 miles on it. Don’t let that sway you.

Personally I don’t buy road bike or CX bike frames with moving parts in them. The"SAVE" seat-post is worth the money, like, big-time.

I had a 2011 Roubaix and currently ride a 2018 Synapse. I agree with @summerson that the Synapse is quite a bit stiffer than the Roubaix (at least comparing those model years), but it’s still plenty comfortable with similar geometry to the Roubaix. The current Synapse is my favorite bike ever.

I have owned four press-fit BB frames (a Cervelo, a Felt, and two Cannondales), and I’ve never had a problem with a creaky BB. The one persistent creak that I blamed on the BB was on my Felt VR. It took me two years, numerous bike shop visits, a new BB, and shipping the frame to Felt for inspection before I stumbled on the real cause of the creak: the rear thru-axle :roll_eyes:.

2 Likes

Both the bikes I built. Both are extremely comfortable to ride and very responsive. I kept the Tarmac as I found it to be just a bit lighter and stiffer. Gave the Roubaix to my brotherinlaw who needed a bike. He loves it and wishes he would have known about how comfortable these bikes were. He came off an alloy bike, so it’s apples to oranges. Either way, the bikes above are both nice comfortable bikes for long rides, or climbing up mountains. Roubaix are made for cobbles, that says a whole lot… comfort.

I can’t comment on the Cannondale, as I have never ridden one. Although I see lots of them on the bike trail and going up the mountains. All those people can’t be wrong. Both great choices.

Oh and like some of the other people, I have yet to have any bottom bracket problems.

I wonder how the diverge compares to ride on the road. Could be a go anywhere do anything option.

Would you consider a different type of frame if you’re after comfort? These days if I’m road riding I use a cx frame with tubeless 32mm GP5000s at 40psi. Feels as fast as anything and is massively smoother than previous bikes shod with more conventional tyres (including a Giant Defy and Caad 10)

I have a previous generation Synapse HI-Mod that I love. I did tons of research at the time and landed on this bike as a “fast comfortable” bike. It does seem to fall in between the all out race bikes and most other brands of endurance bikes. It’s comfortable for the long multi-hour rides, light for climbing, and snappy when I want to ride fast. I love it and plan to ride it for a few more years. I’ve never had a bottom bracket creak issue of any kind in over 15k miles. Only thing I’ve ever touched is new cables and chains.

1 Like

Cheers for reply. Seems the Synapse seems like the best choice

My vote goes for Trek Domane, sorry it’s not in your list, but for endurance purposes it’s hard to beat. The compliance on the Domane is top of the game.