Rocker Plate Users: Did it help your saddle sores?

I haven’t seen anyone mention it. Would be worth a shot. The only thing I’d want to do is protect the surfaces with some durable tape or other harder material.

Rigid setup

1 Like

Got it. As mentioned above, there are some cheap and easy-ish ways to try and add some motion to your setup for testing at least.

I think that may be too soft. If its anything like the gel pads that came out for wheelchair bound people many years ago.

Yeah a rigid set up is pure evil. The pain on longer sessions is enough to cause me to become very nauseous.

2 Likes

Putting a bit of foam under the trainer (in the case of the Kickr Core, just the rear leg will do) so it squirms enough to reduce pressure spikes works, but it’s definitely a short-term, high-maintenance solution.

You either need to use foam that is so thick that the trainer is suspended enough to not pack the foam down all the day, or you need to use a solution that simply doesn’t pack down. E.g., metal springs or an exercise ball (essentially an air spring).

Maybe closed cell versus open cell foam is an issue? Not sure which one would be more prone to packing down, though.

This application calls for foam with very high resiliency.

In my experience yes, a rocker plate did help with saddle sores.
I did a quick and dirty prototype, and it was good enough that I used it for over a year before I did something nicer and completely overkill. You can likely throw something together cheaply and without much effort that will give you a good idea if this is something that you like.

Here is the basic one I did, which I used on a concrete floor.

1 Like

Same here…bandaid works wonders when I have an issue. Just a bit more protection helps

What are the blue things?

sections of pool noodles. this worked fairly well, but they need to be replaced periodically.

1 Like

For what its worth, with InsideRide E-Flex I saw some relief from a sore butt, but less than I hoped because my goal was doing 2+ hour rides inside. Never had saddle sore, inside or outside. Motion will help.

1 Like

That’s one of my concerns. I found another which is just 1/8” thick that might work better, but the minimum order size is way more than I would need

How? You’re a machine! 90 min has me going cross-eyed.

Painfully. A couple weeks ago I did 2 hours at the gym, my post-ride notes:

115 degrees out, headed to the gym for another round with Stages SC3 bike #26 right next to the awesome fan.

55 minutes solo and then spin class started. Did my own thing while the instructor did her motivational speaking. It worked and I pushed thru the mental and butt barriers for 2 focused hours of work.

The people watching is priceless.

:ok_hand:

Try living in LA. :joy:

2 Likes

There are some real indoor machines, I’m not one of them. The struggle is real.

Has anyone put a Kickr Bike on a rocker plate?

1 Like

And I just googled it and saw the OmniRocker

1 Like

I have a homemade rocker plate that was used for a Kickr trainer that I’ll be putting my Kickr bike (that is getting delivered today - woohoo!) on. The dimensions work so fingers crossed it’s successful. My homemade plate is similar to the Omnirocker but without the forward to back motion.

1 Like

Yup, we have seen all of the smart bikes used on rockers. Examples and brand mix varies, but they are out there.

1 Like