Road World Championships

Who is going to win the Men’s RR? I’m going with MVDP…but I would love to see Sagan spank him.

The finish certainly looks up his street… if his Dutch team can get him through the previous 283.5 km.

Really looking forward to seeing Simmons and Sheffield move up from the juniors and race the spring classics.

Happy cake day @bbarrera!

Controversy here. The poor lad’s having to stew waiting on the jury decision…

:face_with_hand_over_mouth::face_with_hand_over_mouth::face_with_hand_over_mouth:

Yep - he figures he lost close to 10 mins from flat tires. Could have won if not for that. Gives confidence he’s ready to compete at men’s level, and skip U23. Hopefully things go well for him.

1 Like

The Atmosphere in the city was amazing! So fun to be there.

Would like to see Sagan but MVDP looks unreal.

Or JA?

I don’t think it can happen but would really like to Remco win!

Missed it, Friday morning is the second big meeting morning of the week.

Really? An American has been on the podium in two of the one-day WWT races this season, and hasn’t won any of them. Coryn Rivera’s the only American in the WWT top 20 right now, and she’s had two WWT wins this season. Chloe Dygert dominates in time trials and track (and in general, domestically), but I don’t know how she’s going to stack up against the Europeans over a hilly 150km. I wouldn’t bet on either of them over Vos or van Vleuten for this course.

(I’m American, I’d love to see the Americans win all the things, but the WT women are pretty strong.)

I watched the NBC recaps of all the junior and U23 races, and the amount of crashes in these races horrified me. I hope everyone is alright, and no one gets injured in the Elite races.

Outstanding world champs for the USA team. Can you imagine the buzz in that hotel and around the dinner table in the evenings?

I’m still shocked at the way Chloe Dygert rode that TT, passing world class women and almost spinning them on the road.

2 Likes

You should tune in now for the finish. Go Chloe.

1 Like

Indeed! Spectacular result for her.

1 Like

I was really hoping she’d ride to a medal, I think if she sat with Van Der Breggen and Sprat she would have had a chance. Went too early, but I guess it was a “be willing to lose to win” mentality, which I commend her for. Amazing result! Amazing World Champs for the US!

Yeah, maybe if she’d decided to settle for silver and hung out with them for another lap or so before the attack? She did the “lemme just time-trial the rest of this” thing that usually gets her a medal, but that circuit was long and brutal.

I didn’t really know what to expect from the Dutch team tactically, with so many strong riders, but they were brilliant. Van Vleuten animates the field on the big climb and stays away as long as she can, van der Breggen chills on literally every wheel in the chase group as backup, Vos hangs with the bunch in case everybody gets brought back (and then wins the sprint for 6th :laughing:).

My heart was breaking for Deignan. She needed a teammate up there, nobody wanted to work with her and she killed herself trying to drag the chasers along. Really guttsy ride.

2 Likes

Orange is the new Rainbow.

Redemption for the U23 debacle.

Pretty sure this will crank MVDP up to 11 for the men’s race.

4 Likes

I think the length of the race is gonna be just a wee bit too long for young MVP’s legs…think the finale suits Sagan to a T.

3 Likes

The route is only 15km longer than Amstel Gold with the same amount of climbing.

Mike

@Zmontalto, glad you’re enjoying Harrogate and Yorkshire’s hospitality. I raced there about 40 odd years ago, with the legendary Sean Kelly before he turned Pro. They breed them tough in Yorkshire so the best rise to the top, like the Brownlee brothers.