Road racing Setup

Verifying that something is aero is a bit fanciful I think for anyone who is an amateur with a full time job, and to a large extent common sense will suffice. You just have to play the odds and go for what you think is best, and most of the time it is probably going to be pretty good, my skinsuit is probably not the best because it is my teamkit skinsuit as opposed to a bespoke castelli suit with vortex generators and 73 different material types, but it is definitely better than my jersey and shorts. For me optimizing a setup is just constrained by my available resources and money and doing the best I can. It isn’t going to be perfect but I can get it closer to that point.

Shrink wrapping cables is a good one, think i will give that a go as well.

In terms of fitness, bio-mechanical stuff and body composition, they are all as optimized as they can be currently, and hopefully continue to be for the rest of the season.

Thanks for the reply anyway, some good suggestions, and yes I will have about 300 pins on my race numbers to make sure there is no flapage.

2 Likes

When you do these races, how do you look to employ these aero gains? Are you a breakaway type of rider? How long have you been racing?

Why? The aero wheels are going to be faster on pretty much every course regardless of what type of frame you have.

1 Like

OP was asking what he could do to improve his set up. The Emonda is one of the lightest framesets on the market, but not particularly aero. It’s a fantastic GC and climbing bike. Keep the deep wheels for aero frames and make the Emonda as light as possible.

1 Like

Okay, cool, but the aero wheels will still be faster regardless of the frame.

2 Likes

I have the Emonda SLR and have aero lightweight wheels. You can have both worlds if you choose. They’re the Aelous 5 D3 tubulars. Race day only, but light and aero @bherbers.
As for the bike, you’re not going to lose a road race/crit because you have an Emonda.
But if I had a choice between light or aero wheels, I’d go aero.

I am running the new Emonda SLR 6 Disc, with the Bontrager Aeolus 3 Disc wheels and 28mm tires. Mild aero so some benefit there, and still plenty light. It’s my all-around bike for racing and any riding.

1 Like