Reviewing interval data for outside rides

For outside rides, I am looking at the lap data and if my power number (not my normalized power number but just the number that shows up as power) is in the range that I was given for the interval, I am thinking that means I did a pretty good job on that particular interval. In other words, I achieved the training effect for that interval that the workout was trying to achieve. Am I thinking about this right?

Yeah, as long as there arenā€™t any obvious, huge deviations from the intended power.

For example, a 10 min interval targeting 300W where you waver between like 285W and 315W but itā€™s all clustered around the target is good and fine. But if it was 3 min at 300W then 4 min at 350W then 3 min at 250W then thatā€™s not good.

One caveat being for intervals that are meant to be MAX (like VO2 or anaerobic) you might see a pretty decent drop in power from the beginning to end but as long as youā€™re still pushing decent watts at the end then Iā€™d call it a ā€œgoodā€ interval.

I can post of rides of some ā€œgoodā€ intervals outside Iā€™ve done recently if that helps.

Thanks, that was helpful. Hereā€™s my first interval from my ride today. Target was 207 to 227. I had a few dips and a few spikes, but on the whole, this seemed pretty good to me.

Yeah, thatā€™s pretty good. Especially for just starting out with outdoor intervals. It will definitely tighten up just by practicing and getting used to when to shift and everything.

The biggest ā€˜mistakeā€™ I see is that 550W spike, but it looks like it maybe coincides with that road crossing so maybe you kinda sprinted across which is fine.

1 Like

Thank you! Yes, thatā€™s exactly right ā€“ I sprinted through the crossing so that was why I had a power spike there.