Rent a road bike in CA

So, I’m coming to Borrego Springs for 6hr tt world championship this November and wonder if anyone has any good tips on where to rent a road bike. I will only bring my tt bike from Norway, and need a road bike for the rest of my stay (29. oct. - 14.nov.). I will be staying in the Palm Springs area the first week and then around Santa Monica. Grateful for all tips!

1 Like

I rented from Big Wheel tours when I was out there. I got a KHS bike. Might have been the 900? It was carbon. They were great. Would/will definitely do it again this winter.

Where are you flying into? Palm SPrings, San Diego, LA, Orange County?

Around Santa Monica - Rapha Clubhouse? RCC Bike Hire | Rapha I think the Specialized store rents/demos bike too.
Maybe rent a gravel bike / MTB and hit the Malibu trails just north of Santa Monica. Bike Shop | Pedalers Fork Core LA is not great to ride in, but just north of Santa Monica is. Maybe get a guide Book Bike + Guide | VeloGuide

If want to go for a ride around San Diego north county (where the BWR San DIego takes place and the coast of course) maybe call Canyon USA in Carlsbad - I think they have free demos . BWR starts from right there and you can ride South along the coast (that’s a better coast ride than LA or Orange County). Visit the Canyon Demo Center | CANYON US

I would dispute the assertion that “Core LA is not great to ride in”. Griffith, Hollywood sign, Mulholland (and all the roads up such as Nichols) and Elysian for example?

Give them a ring but I wouldn’t count on them having demos that they’ll let you take. There are, however, a lot of good shops up in that area and if you fly into San Diego, you’ll pass a bunch more as you head north. I don’t keep tabs on who rents bikes in the area but I would check with Ride Cyclery, Velotown, and Revolution Bike Shop for starters.

I meant LA urban area/shore/etc.

I rented a bike from Synaptic Cycles (www.synapticcycles.com) in April 2022 when I was in Santa Monica for a trip. They are based in Dana Point but deliver bikes all over the LA area. They brought the bike to my hotel and then came and picked it up at the end of the trip. It was a great experience. It was a Masi Evoluzione with disc brakes, great for very little work on my end.

1 Like

I rented from them this summer as well and everything went smooth. They delivered the bike in San Diego and picked it up 2 weeks later in Santa Monica. Operating in all SoCal was a big plus for me