Recovery From Simple Blood Draw

I have a simple “annual physical” blood draw on Monday, with a cycling event on Saturday. The blood draw is typically 3-4 vials. Nothing major. It is NOT a blood donation. Will this have any potential effect on performance later in the week?

no.

2 Likes

No. Each tube is between 3-10 ml of blood.

1 Like

No. I have regular tests and has had no significant impact. Maybe on the day depending on your blood sugar level but not 4 days later

1 Like

@jdb I think the colloquial response to your question is, ‘no effect’. 3-4 vials of blood is 26ml to 60ml of blood. Different vials taken for blood panels can hold different amounts of blood so it’s not as simple as saying every vial is 8.5ml or every vial is 10ml.

I would ask you to review the Nordsborg study where they found an infusion of 135ml had material positive impact on cycling performance. As much as 5% for some metrics. It’s worth noting that the study’s authors were careful to point out that this was probably not the minimum infusion that would result in positive impacts.

So, might there be some small impact from only 60ml blood drawn? I still think probably not but it’s not totally beyond the pale that 80ml, 90ml might. Certainly, don’t believe people who dismiss it out of hand. Nobody knows for sure but what we do know points to a definite maybe.

2 Likes

The average adult has 4.5-5.5 liters of blood. On average we replace 60 ml per 24 hour period.

2 Likes

With five days between the draw and your event you should see no ill effects

I have two regularly scheduled draws each month and train the next morning with zero perceived change in performance

1 Like