Realistic FTP improvement with TrainerRoad. Un-fit 40 years old male. Already cycled for about 4 years. Minimum structured training exp

FTP goals are fine but aren’t directly within your control. We all know the number is really only there to set your training zones. Added to that it should also be seen as an outcome of other goals.

Much better to focus on process goals and let the outcome be the outcome.

1 Like

That’s really interesting and a cool bit of analysis but there are lots of caveats with that model, not least selection bias (not just the type of person who signs up to TR, but the type who completes plans, comes on the forum and is interested enough to comment their progress).

Like I said, an FTP goal is fine, I just think it’s more productive to focus on the process.

[update] Just did my second ramp test after my first set of SSB1 Low Vol. (for some reason my base 1 started with one week less, maybe it’s my set up error or whatever, my SSB1 started from week2. Starting SSB2 this week and this is the first ramp test session.

New FTP is at 161. :slight_smile:
Considering the simplicity of ramp test. I guess I can say I’m back to where I was before injured (15x FTP). It could also be me getting more familiar with ramp test this time. But anyhow, a gain is a gain. Hopefully I’ll still see some bump after SSB2.

btw I forced myself to sleep almost 12 hours last night for this test haha.

3 Likes

@rsusanto thanks for the comments and exp sharing. Best luck with your training as well!

1 Like

I would say number is also there to track actual improvement. As the speed and time would be affect by a lot of other factors (weather, temp, traffic…etc.) But I agree, the process is more important. It’s just for someone don’t race or compete (yet), FTP is a good figure to chase/target.

I’m 38 started cycling 4 yrs ago weighing in the 180’s lbs w/ 200-220 W FTP
I have not been consistent.
2016 I had a few months training for a century ride, then dropped off the rest of the year.
2017 I trained for another Sportive properly doing a full TR cycle Base - Build - Spec 4 wks but with other outdoor work. got to 278 W FTP weight 163 lbs
2018 very inconsistent no events. New parent mid 2018 - stopped cycling altogether for 3-4 months. through to 2019 the volume was low and short. FTP dropped to 240’s weight went up to 180’s
2019 consistent but TSS was an average of 250 per wk. some gym work. FTP finished at 260 W and 173lbs @ 30th Dec
2020 Did SSB1 3 wks, SSBII 4 wks, MV’s. Moved to Build for 4 wks then covid struck. Back to SSB1 4 wks, SSBII 4 wks. So 4 months of the most consistent training i’ve ever done. 99% has been indoors on TR. I did a little extra Z2 work where possible.
Gradually moved up to 450 TSS per week on a 90 day average
Ramp test 11th May - 304W FTP, 163/4 lbs. @4.1 w/kg. I set my Goal for 2020 to get to >300 W and > 4 w/kg and i achieved this quicker than planned. Definitely down to following the plan

So I’ve had 44W increase in roughly 13 weeks. I have not eaten very well. I got down to 161lbs then had to move to the inlaws due to CV19 and we have to eat the same and there is temptation everywhere. So i’m fortunate the training has kept the weight not too high

I cant believe how much difference the consistency has had and using more TR than outdoor rides has helped me improve. It will obviously depend on your DNA but there is no reason why you cant see some good increases.

I’m the biggest advocate of TR and the structure its given me. There is nothing wrong with doing lots of the SS base plans, but it could get a little monotonous so do enough of that first. I’m glad i had the chance to do more of it. Also FTP and TTE is what you need for Grand Fondos so you shouldnt feel the need to jump to the intensity yet, especially if you are prone to injury. Good luck

2 Likes

It’s much easier to regain earned fitness than to get to new fitness levels. Since you already started SSB I suggest you double up on it to cristalize your base. One of the reasons I suggested TB first are the drills. There are a lot of drills in SSB but they are done at a much higher power requirement. And since they add quite a bit to the perceived workload learning the at low power requirements seems the way to go.

Best of luck to you!

Thanks for the suggestion. I’ll see how I feel after the SSB2 (especially with a higher FTP setting to tire my body) and decide if I continue with the build phase or repeat the base.

One stupid question, what is TB? Couldn’t find the reference. Thanks.

TB= traditional base.
Best of luck with the process. Enjoy the ups and downs. Some workouts will break you (that’s the point of them), just trust the plans/workouts and do your best to stay healthy. If you can improve your overall strength both on and off the bike this will help with recovery and general health. Stretch as frequently as you remember (I can’t say often because I’m hopeless with keeping this up too) and use some sort of massage device if you can to help with recovery (just using a hard ball is fine).
Best of luck and enjoy the ever increasing fitness!

1 Like

My advice is to ride consistently. Keep the aerobic engine firing 4-6 days per week even if it’s just a 20-30 minute Z2 ride.

If you want to get fitter and fitter, don’t let yourself de-train. The slow guys in my cycling club show up in the spring out of shape, they barely get into shape by the end of summer, and then they disappear during the winter. They start again the next year in the same out of shape state and start over again. They never break through to a higher level.

The fast guys in my club ride all year and show up for the group ride when it’s 35-40F in the winter.

Learn about training, the process and philosophy. For the most part our sport is aerobic so you need to build up the aerobic engine. The rest is icing on the cake.

3 Likes