RANT: Anyone else annoyed with the proliferation of "Rubber bands" to hold items?

Double sided velcro may be of use here - I use it in a variety of ‘this needs to be attached to that, but not forever’ situations :grin:

Yes, that would probably work as well as the velcro strap I used

2 Likes

+1 for the Lezyne lights rubber attachments. No fear of seeing those break. Works on non-round seat posts and bars too.

1 Like

Have to admit I’m a fan of the Garmin rubber bands. While I have a proper out front for the edge on the road bike, every other bike in the household and uses the rubber bands. Never failed since my first edge 500. Easy to move mounts btw bikes or remove without tools.

2 Likes

I use a Voile strap (yes, I need to cut it down) and my Light and Motion Vis 180, which has it’s own mount and solid silicon strap, to hold a compact pump on my seatpost and the Vis 180 light onto the seatpost+pump. The pump tucks right in there perfectly. The Vis 180 itself isn’t in this pic, but you can see it’s mount with its black “rubber band” wrapped around the pump and the seatpost. The Voile strap is bomber, so I do pull that quite tight. But the strap on the Vis 180 mount is not as beefy, so don’t tension that as much as the Voile. Been like this for two years and so far so good.

Cheers, thanks for that. Will give that a try, although I’ve been quite happy with it in my middle jersey pocket. But for a long ride, this looks like a better option.

In other news, things produced cheaply turn out not to be environmentally friendly.

I have a 3D printed Varia mount for my S-Works aero post. At best, it’s satisficing. Uses zip ties to secure it to the post. I use a small strip of bar tape so it doesn’t rattle, but it’s not “fixed” like the Varias on my other bikes.

1 Like