Ramp Test in ERG Mode

So I did a new ramp test last night after Traditional Base II. I didn’t expect any increase because these Base programs do nothing for building power, I busy training my Aerobic Endurance.

This time i focused on my cadence and kept it at what i would normally do outside which is about 80 rpm (MTBer) for the entire duration of the test. The results were similar (small increase of 5 w in FTP result) to my last test where i increased my cad towards the end. So the failure point was when my HR hit 174 (I’m 57) I did feel i could have pedalled for another 2 min at least if i had some HR left.

So bottom line, the body will blow when the cardio system tells it to blow, even if your legs are still good for additional work.

Looking forward to Build program in 4 weeks once Trad Base III is done

1 Like

Nice work. It’s possible to see some cadence decay along the way. Then there is a small kick up where you may have recognized the drop and/or decided to pick up as you felt close to the end, just before popping.

Steady gain in HR looks good and I’d say you got an accurate test. Legs vs lungs is a real competition and I have popped from either one a couple of times this past year. It varies enough for me that I don’t know which it will be for any given test.

1 Like

Hi, just found this thread, and wished I had read it prior to my Ramp Test this morning. I’ve moved to a smart trainer (Elite Suito) from my old Kurt Kinetic road machine, and the last few ramp tests I’ve done, I seem to run out of gears at the end and am spinning a high cadence (over 100), but can’t meet my power targets.

I did a spindown of the trainer and calibrated my on-bike power meter before the test. I’m using powermatch as well. Should I be just using the trainer power for the test, and not both with powermatch? I’m thinking to try the test again later this week just to see if I can get a little better estimation of my FTP. It seems low for just coming off of a build block.

1 Like

I just stumbled across your post when searching for a solution to the same problem. Also using an elite suito and powermatch and I failed last night with my cadence at 110rpm. It didn’t feel like a proper failure - I was willing the trainer to give me more resistance, rather than grinding to a halt. Did you ever find a solution?

Change into a harder gear.

Thanks. I’ve spoken to the TR team and I am having issues with dropouts from my trainer and PM which have been ruining my ramp tests, so this isn’t really the solution.

I opened a ticket with TR and one of the issues I had was a dropout during another ramp test. It seems best to connect the Suito via BT, as in ANT+ there is no calibration. I’ve just been running it without the power match for now, and seems better.

My next Ramp Test is this week, so will post how it goes.

1 Like

I just did a ramp test (group) on the desktop app, and connected the Suito via BT as well as my TickrX via BT. No dropouts, and test went quite well. I was in Erg mode and tried not to shift at all, but keeping my cadence steady. I focused more on the estimated FTP as opposed to trying to keep the exact target for the ‘step’. I only connected to the Suito, and didn’t connect to the powermeter on my bike using powermatch.

I just got a new smart trainer, first ramp test erg mode. I had a dumb fluid trainer before and PowerTap pedals. I disabled those for the test.

I warmed up and calibration tested the trainer.

I found that my power is all over the place. Not hugging the target like I see in everyone’s workouts. Is this just a side effect of me moving from a dumb trainer to ERG? Do I just need to keep the cadence steady and let the trainer do everything else? It made for a bad ramp test since my 1min steady state was way off what I actually am.

Are there any recommendations for settings for everything? Smoothing etc.

• Yes.

I consider this required viewing for anyone that is new to ERG mode use:

When you rider in ERG, IGNORE POWER data.

• Focus only on your cadence and holding it at the desired level you want.
  • DO NOT CHASE POWER numbers! Doing so will lead to poor experience in ERG.
5 Likes

I found this very useful.
Thanks @mcneese.chad. I had been struggling with Erg mode for some time .
Now I like using it for endurance workouts, and also for the recoveries between intervals.
I realise my mistake was not using the cadence as my guide (and trusting that the Watts will look after themselves).
It seems simple now. Why was I such an idiot :grimacing:

1 Like

No one new to ERG is an idiot. Sadly, even though smart controlled trainers are more common and considered “standard” equipment by many, they are not always understood.

ERG mode is the most unique aspect about using a smart trainer and nobody would guess it works like it did unless they did advanced research. I wish there was a requirement to watch Shane’s video before doing the first ERG workout. That would help alleviate lots of the confusion and frustration that so many people experience on their first workouts.

The use differs from old standard trainers that many know prior to getting a smart controlled trainer. So I totally get why people have issues. But once you understand the actual function and intended use, it makes the experience much more direct and “simple”. It just takes some learning (via the vid) or trial and error to get it figured out.

2 Likes

^^^This, and an explanation of “the wattage floor.”! :neutral_face:

Thanks @mcneese.chad for the very helpful info here!

1 Like

Yes, wattage floor and ceiling may be appropriate for some rider and trainer combinations. It varies and sometimes doesn’t show for some people, but it is important and should be considered if plain ERG function is not reacting as expected.

Thanks Chad, this resolved my problems 100%. Just did Carpathian and nailed it. One thing I do find, difference of fluid vs smart, the smart trainer is forcing me to maintain my cadence better :).

1 Like