Ramp Test, Automatic Adjustment to Rider Profile?

That makes some sense considering the association with CTL/ATL/TSB calculations (based on my limited knowledge). But it may well be something different in terms of evaluating a Ramp test and the “recent” power curve.

With all the data TR has, I suspect they can investigate starting with Ramp tests and the assigned FTP. Then review the workout compliance in the following workouts over the following week. They can also see if people make manual adjustments of the FTP after the fact (as well as the option to NOT accept the Ramp test suggested FTP).

See those results and then look back at the preceding time frame, and see if there is some correlation between the FTP and/or plan compliance, in light of the power profile present over different ranges of time (maybe starting with 2 weeks up to 8 weeks?).

I have no idea if there is a practical correlation to draw, but there is a potential for a TON of data in their hands, that may help them determine when the 0.75 multiplier is and is not appropriate for a given rider. It’s possible there is a correlation for riders that will always apply (based on their heredity, training history and such) or it could vary for riders as they move through training phases (based on their prior phase).

It’s all speculation, but TR knows that the 0.75 is hitting some amount of the middle in the bell curve. My goal here is to better leverage known data (if/when it exists, since “new” TR users may not have a power profile to judge against initially) to the end of getting more useful FTP and training zones, with less guessing and interpretation on the rider’s part.

Another, possibly different angle alluded to earlier, is looking at the rider workout adherence following the test. If they implement a “compliance” function, it’s possible they can review workouts (may a minimum of 2 or 3) and then consider a suggestion of raising or lowering rider FTP by seeing problems in those workout.

This is all far from easy and I do NOT have the answers. I just think there is a real need and worthwhile opportunity to improve the testing evaluation, with the aim to improve training for all riders, and minimize the guesswork as much as practical, within the price and service provided.

1 Like