Racing without results - still worth it?

I’m feeling a bit down today after the second of a 3hr XCO yesterday in the UK. The main reason - my results are poor.

A bit of history - I’ve been coached for 4 years now with the first two being a bit of flop as we got used to each other and discovered a high carb diet/reversed periodised model doesn’t work for me. I gained weight, power crept up slower than the weight gan and consequently w/kg reduced to about 3.4.

Years 3 and this year - changing to a traditional model with loads of base between November and March and within that time on a low carb diet, I shifted 8kg and increased power to get to 4.1wkg. My climbing - sustainable power - has improved. In fact all watts at heart rate have improved about 15-20% across the board.

So all good news? No. The first race - 2 weeks ago -I felt very flat. I put this down to months of Z2/Z3 and at that time only 6 5min/1min sessions so lacking some top end, plus I was all over the place on the MTB - too much time on the Trainer! Hence, 18 of 23.

Yesterday, no issues with skills or confidence, and I spent 2h24m of 2h41m ridden (there was a 3hr cut off) at Threshold HR. I felt consistent with the gradual cardiac drift - never below threshold values - fuelled well and did the best I could, yet 17 of 21.

Now , trying to be pragmatic over here in the UK we have limited numbers - max 25 per category - for social distancing at the venue and I don’t know the people I’m racing. I’m a 49yo Vet, these guys could all be Elites for all I know but also Dads like me - entry is first come first serve - but then again they could be just like me. I’m just slower that most, and that feels like a failure.

To the main question then; I’m about to enter Grand Vets and at this stage, I’m wondering whether all the effort is worth it. On the plus side the training and racing keeps me fit and healthy, I’m probably faster than the average rider etc. On the minus side I’m struggling mentally with the fact I’ll likely never be at the sharp end, as a dad of two I could probably spend more time with the kids although they did race / come to races outside of the Coronavirus measures so I could just sell my race bike for a Trail bike and kick back a bit.

There could be a middle ground; I accept where I am, ditch the expense of a coach and get back onto a Trainer Road plan and just race for the “fun” of it, but as you can probably tell I have a hard time justifying fun without results!

Sorry for the ramble, I guess I’m search for any words of advice, wisdom or justification to continue to train and race without results.

1 Like

Simple answer is yes, if you enjoy it. And chances are when you relax and enjoy it more results will improve.

Process > Results

2 Likes

This is in the same vein as a lot of the threads in the Aging Cyclist thread; check it out.

I’m preoccupied by the same things that you’re talking about here (45 y/o, 2 kids) and I train a lot considering my other commitments, all in order to ostensibly be more competitive in races. I’m getting up around 4.4 w/kg, but that still doesn’t have me riding away from anyone, and on the hard chaingangs, I’m often hanging.

In 2019 I was back in the US and won some weekly training races then came back and podium’d a 3/4 race in the UK. Those kinds of results tend to sustain and push me to keep going. If I thought there was not chance for good results or upgrades -even in my age group- I’d be troubled by the same questions you’re asking. This takes a lot of time, time that you’re pulling from family and career and whatever else you might be doing. That’s compounded by the fact that race prep training probably only makes you marginally more healthy overall than steady riding around would.

Counter to all of that is that this last year has shown me that I love the process of training, and the racing wasn’t as critical as I thought it was. I really enjoy putting in the work and trying to get stronger. I think that’s really the core question you have to answer for yourself.

2 Likes

Yes, no and maybe!

I’ve only just started thinking about racing (well before all the doom) and in all events I entered I was only a couple places off dead last. I had a great time, set some personal bests and had some cool pictures.

This would make me think I’ll carry on but checking Strava for power output I’m so far behind the others I truly cannot see how I’d get closer. I’m almost forty and accepted that I’ll improve but I’m not physically gifted enough to close any gaps.

I then have to weigh up the fun to cost (which isn’t minimal once driving, racing and other costs added up) ratio to place very low down. Likely I might try something more edurance based but who knows.

I’ll still train mind you since I enjoy being fit, getting fitter and riding fast/far for my talent level just thinking that the money for a days racing would be better spent on other bike fun.

44 yrs old, 3 kids and race XCO, XCM, and MTB 100s. I’d stop focusing on the outcome (race results) and set yourself some process goals both short and long term. You can’t determine your race results. You have no control over who shows up or the countless other variables. You can only control your input (training, nutrition, fueling, fitness, effort, mentality, etc.). If you are dead consistent with your training and on race day you’ve done everything you could to prepare, than your effort is all that remains. If you finish the race and are convinced you gave all that you had that day, then move on. Do a post race analysis and look for areas of improvement.

If you question your training/coaching then it’s time to move on. Possibly a new perspective or training model will be what you need to take a step forward in your fitness. Myself for example, after a 2020 plateau year tried TR’s high volume plans (few tweaks) and never been fitter.

So with some proper process goals and a new training perspective you can be aiming forward with optimism.

It’s April and I’m assuming the beginning of race season? I’d imagine you’re not in peak race form thus the reason for feeling flat. I’d speak to your coach as to how/when your training is having you peak.

Ok thanks for the replies so far, some useful insights.

Counter to all of that is that this last year has shown me that I love the process of training, and the racing wasn’t as critical as I thought it was. I really enjoy putting in the work and trying to get stronger. I think that’s really the core question you have to answer for yourself.

This is indeed me, I enjoy the training process for the most part and would be loathe to drop it. My power and fitness increases have shown on clubs rides and Club Zwift TTT’s over the last two years so there is positive change!

If you are dead consistent with your training and on race day you’ve done everything you could to prepare, than your effort is all that remains. If you finish the race and are convinced you gave all that you had that day, then move on. Do a post race analysis and look for areas of improvement.

Mentally analysing yesterdays race yes, this is it. I couldn’t have done more with what I had on the day so I was just outgunned. Maybe my negative stance is exaggerated because I’m “near the back” of 21 riders but on any normal day if I’d have been 17th of 100 riders I’d be celebrating! Despite the result I did overtake and maintain/grow a gap over 2 other riders so there was a race to be had and I wasn’t languishing, and was being rushed to keep my result.

I’d speak to your coach as to how/when your training is having you peak.

Yes done after that race, and he did stated we hadn’t done much for short efforts. I’m also targetted for the UK (Scott)) Marathons and a July 12hr, short sharp stuff isn’t my best ability and this race was a gazillion corners - Gorrick Area 51 for the UK folks that know it.

1 Like

Nothing wrong with not actually racing. You can still measure your improvements in fitness in other ways, and regardless of what the elite “strava is for idiots” crowd would say, I personally have had a ton of fun improving on segments over the last few years and competing with my friends.

Have 2 races on the calendar this year and kind of meh about them. More risk riding in a pack of amateurs and much more likely to wreck in a pack and break myself/my bike than I am to get hit by a car riding solo, and more pressure on myself to do well, all to win a prize that’s probably worth all of $10.

I went through this in my twenties - about 30 years ago now. I put in 7 or 8 seasons of racing. I wasn’t consistent until my late 20s when I did five solid seasons in a row. I got better every year but I was stuck in Cat 4 in a very competitive district in Northern California. I was getting a few results but nothing dramatic. There were other guys that started in cat 4 and ended in cat 2 in the same season! I might have squeeked into Cat 3 with a lot of work.

I went through what you are going through and just quit. The main reason I quit was that I had no life other than working full time and then spending 20-25 hours a week training and driving to races.

In retrospect, I wish I hadn’t just quit. I wish I had kept my hand in it at a lower level and just did, say, 5 events throughout the year for fun.

I also wanted to say that at some point we do find our genetic limits or at least those limits based on how much time we are willing to put in. I experience that just in my club. There are former pros and cat 1s that without any structured training are the fastest guys in our club. They just ride and are still very fast. I do structured training, periodize my year and all that and I’m coming nowhere close to catching them even though a few of them are older than me.

1 Like