Quarq power meter on MTB

I think it has to be SRAM 8 bolt because my XO1 3 bolts wouldn’t work but I’d check with SRAM or your LBS

If you want just the spider to adapt to your existing crankset, it needs to be the 8-bolt. but if you buy the Quark xx1 crank set, well, you’ve got all of it in one package. I bought the crankset.

yep. i’m pretty sure you are correct WRT: 8-bolt.

1 Like

I have had 3 Quarq’s on MTB’s going back to 2012. Can’t think of a single issue I’ve had with one. Battery life is great, no power spikes, autozero, easy to change the battery a couple of times a year if that, swap out chain ring sizes whenever I want. Everything just works. I kind of think of my Quarq PM on my MTB like my top tube. It’s just a part of the bike I don’t mess with or really ever have to think about.

2 Likes

have you had success swapping chain rings without puling the cranks? I managed to get a 36t off once. But never had success with a 34 or 32. i wiggle and maneuver and position but i can never clear the spider (4 bolt).

I actually have not tried a 36. I took a 34 to a 32 for Leadville and then back to the 34 but not a 36 at this point. With a pipe on the end of the ratchet it’s usually pretty easy :slight_smile: to get the crank out :wink:

OK. so you are removing the cranks. I’ve got an automobile torque wrench so removal is easy, but just taking off the ring would be easier.

I have one too but the pipe on the handle is easy and it pops right off. Haven’t tried it the other way to be honest. It is so fast popping it off and I usually grease it up and make sure all looks well. Very fast process overall.

anybody has any recommendation for a quarq or p2m spider for less than msrp? I know quarq doesn’t work with CT 20% coupons in general sram is really hard to find any discounts… how about p2m?

Almost impossible to find coupon codes that apply to Quarq. A CT referral code did work for me for 15% but I ended up cancelling more order. They let me order it though so I assume I t would have eventually shipped.

I ended up going with a 4iiii Precision left side only instead of a Quarq. 4iiii and Stages recently lowered prices to $299 for factory installs, and unlike the Quarq the 4iiii was compatible with my existing X01 carbon crank. I would have had to buy the 8-bolt XX1 crank for the Quarq which adds another $380.

I haven’t had the 4iiii for long enough to say much more about it than ‘yep it’s a power meter’ but I do think $299 is a really competitive price.

I’ve got three Quarq PM; two on the road and 1 on my MTB. I’ve had plenty of comparisons with Garmin pedals, and a Wahoo Kickr. On balance I’d trust the Quarq over anything else - just my opinion of course. My all seem very reliable and very consistent.

2 Likes

I have the same bike… with a Quarq on it and like it.

1 Like

Put a Quarq dzero XX1 on my mtb a few years ago. First ride, I bashed the thing on a rock so hard that I ruined a chainring. Figured I might have screwed up the PM, but the Quarq never missed a beat and has been trouble free and no weirdness with the data. Just bought a road/gravel bike with the new Force AXS crank with the integrated Quarq, never really considered anything else,

1 Like

What kind of spacer do you have on your Spark with Quarq DUB installed? I had paint shafered off from my Spark on the right side of the BB side due to Quarq rubbing with a 2mm spacer. Which is highly strange.

I run a Quarq with XX1, it’s been excellent, no issues whatsoever. The video on Quarq from Keith Wakeham got me converting all my bike power meters to Quarq, I’m up to 4 so far, just a few more to go. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

does it exist for non xx1 crank?
just the PM for my MTB that already has a crank?

thanks!

Nope. Have a look at Power2Max.

https://www.power2max.com

1 Like

Whats the clearance like on this, looking at this combo for my next bike. Blur with P2M :slight_smile:

Which clearance are you taking about? No problem between the backside and the frame. My foot never touches it when pedaling. There is a minimum chainring size, I don’t recall what it is but it’s available on the website

Thank you! I was thinking about the clearance of the power meter and the rear triangle, had a mate who just had issues on an Orbea frame with his and had use so many spacers that the chainline is a bit whack now.