Quad soreness over long distances

Morning all

Have been starting to build up the distance at weekends in advance of a 100 mile event in a few weeks. One thing that I’m finding (and have found previously) is after the 50/60 mile mark I get really sore quads. I’ve had a bike fit and everything seems pretty well dialled in. Any suggestions of how I can reduce the pain? I have the fitness to carry on at a consistent pace but the ache in my quads holds me back on the back third of the distance. Thanks.

Typical cadence (and range) in use?

Soreness is in both quads?

Since you feel good about fit, the next place I would look is at pedaling technique - are you a big gear masher? If so, once those mighty quads are tired out you may not have as much power to call on from the rest of your muscle groups, especially the glutes, hip flexors and hamstrings.

There are other factors to consider but I’d suggest that any type of recurring pain such as this would probably demonstrate that the bike fit isnt dialled in

1 Like

80-90 rpm usually, maybe a little less on a particularly steep hill.

Eating/drinking enough while on the bike?

1 Like

What % of FTP are you riding for those long rides?
I would try 65-70% FTP and see if pain is still there. You might be going slower but would keep the distance.

1 Like

I think so. I have IBS so I need to be a little careful but on a longer ride I’ll have a combination of water, electrolyte solution and a couple of Veloforte bars/clif etc with sis gels if needed.

Good question and as I only got a power meter last month I haven’t had a chance to measure over a longer distance (that will change this weekend). Last non-structured outdoor ride just going out for the sake of it I averaged 201 watts with NP of 223 watts over 35 miles. That wasn’t a particularly taxing ride apart from the headwind coming back home. FTP is 275 and I’m a heavier rider (87kg/193cm).

Hi all

So here was a 100 mile sportive in graphical format. Fine for first 60, ache for the next 20 and really very sore for the final 20:

NP for the ride was 191w. I reckon I would have gained a fair few minutes if I have not struggled at the end. A weave cadence 74 although that was probably more down to some periods pedalling more slowly in traffic rather than grinding away albeit my cadence definitely dropped slightly through the ride, partially as the final half was much more hilly.

Any ideas on what I can do?

Nutrition and hydration felt good. Only stopped for a 5 minute comfort break during the ride.

And still this problem is occurring. A mere 113km today and my quads were really sore for the last 30km. Any exercises that anyone can recommend? Had a terrible cramp this afternoon as well. I have had a professional bike bit and just in terms of feel, everything seems to be ok. I do have tight hamstrings. And I’m heavier than when I started this thread…

It could be that you have developed a quad dominant pedaling style. If you google “cycling quad dominate” you’ll find links suggesting that you strengthen your glutes and engage them more. The links will recommend exercises like step ups, bridges, lunges, etc.

I know that you said that you have had a pro fit but was this issues ever made aware to the fitter? Thinks like moving the saddle lower and farther back could help you engage the glutes more. Maybe if it’s been a couple years, you should check in with the fitter for a tune up?

Do you work on muscular endurance? I mean sweet spot/tempo and maybe low cadence intervals.

1 Like

Thanks. It’s been 3 years since I had my bike fit so a tune up might be worth investigating. I did make them aware of the issues as I also have extremely tight hamstrings - physio a few years ago struggled to do much and I wonder if this might also be behind some of the pain.

I do sweet spot/tempo work as part of my TR plan but not specifically low cadence intervals.

Earlier this year, i had been experiencing some quad soreness on long rides. Discovered that there had been some gradual seatpost slippage. Raised it back up to where it should have been, problem solved.

Of course, there is more than one possible cause of quad soreness.

1 Like

I find if I can keep a lid on intensity, that has a big positive impact on quad soreness. Too many forays above threshold is a surefire way to end up sore when I’m riding more than 4 hours.Looking at Intervals.icu, it seems that if I keep the variability below 1.1, or even better, 1.08, then I’m good. Above that and there’s soreness.

1 Like

Well…I measured up and it looks like it’s slipped down by 15mm. I’ve been mostly indoor training and using an old bike on my trainer, which is still set up perfectly. Might explain why my shorter (sub 50km) rides outside have felt ok for a quick blast but 100km+ was hurting. Now to test out that theory when I have some more time next week. Unclipping at road junctions did seem a bit more steady than usual!

A few things to consider

1. Are you a masher when it comes to hills? Simply pushing a bigger gear when at high effort levels will fatigue your muscles quicker
  2. Are you fuelling enough? Pain in the quads is associated with low levels of glycogen in the muscles. This can come on after many hours as the glycogen gets depleted.
  3. How intensely are you riding? If you are spending plenty of time above threshold you’ll be building up plenty of h+ ions in muscles and blood, shown to inhibit muscle contractions
  4. At the pace you are riding what kind of duration are you used to? If you significantly up the duration the muscles aren’t adapted to it, it it can lead to onset of muscle fatigue and pain. While exercising you are breaking down the muscles damaging them. Recovery repairs and makes them stronger.
  5. How hilly was the ride? If you start doing much hillier rides than previously again muscles aren’t used to the sustained climbing over a sustained duration. Eventually you’ll get muscle fatigue and pain.